So I'm getting married soon and I was thinking of having the cake be red velvet but I don't know...

So I'm getting married soon and I was thinking of having the cake be red velvet but I don't know, maybe it's too tacky or something.

What do you think? What do you recommend? What cake would you have?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2014/05/14/dining/red-velvet-cake-from-gimmick-to-american-classic.html
leitesculinaria.com/10565/writings-origins-of-red-velvet-cake.html
korenainthekitchen.com/2013/03/27/daring-bakers-beet-red-velvet-cake/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nothing wrong with real red velvet. It's a dark, brick-like color, and its red from the alkaline in the cocoa powder reacting with vinegar.

That cake you posted is not real red velvet cake. It has red food dye in it and it will turn your teeth red.

Besides, don't you usually pick two or three different flavors for a wedding cake?

The origins of the red velvet cake are even more shrouded in mystery and obscured by time than that. Another origin says this:
>After Congress passed the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act in 1938, shoring up regulations for food coloring, John A. Adams of the Adams Extract Company of Austin, TX. figured he could sell a lot more extracts and dyes, and a red cake would be just the way to do it. Sometime in the 1940s, the company tricked out a mahogany cake recipe with food coloring, printed it on cards and began plans to merchandise it alongside bottles of vanilla, red dye and artificial butter flavoring, which was popular when butter was rationed during World War II.
nytimes.com/2014/05/14/dining/red-velvet-cake-from-gimmick-to-american-classic.html

There's also the this legend:
>Our friend, Dean Blair, got on a bus in San Jose one morning and shortly after, a lady got on the bus and started passing out these 3 x 5 cards with the recipe for “Red Velvet Cake.” She said she had recently been in New York and had dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria and had this cake. After she returned to San Jose, she wrote to the hotel asking for the name of the chef who had originated the cake, and if she could have the recipe.

>Subsequently she received the recipe in the mail along with a bill for something like $350 from the chef. She took the matter to her attorney, and he advised her that she would have to pay it because she had not inquired beforehand if there would be a charge for the service, and if so, how much it would be. Consequently, she apparently thought this would be a good way to get even with the chef.
leitesculinaria.com/10565/writings-origins-of-red-velvet-cake.html

Velvet cakes like it date back to the 1800s which used almond flour and cocoa powder to tenderize the cake, and brown sugar AKA red sugar then also provides another explanation.

Continued
OP if you want to try your hand at a Red Velvet cake without food coloring, make or request a recipe that uses beets in it. This is actually a traditional ingredient in many variations to give the cakes their hue and help moisten their texture. It was also a cheap and nutritious filler used commonly during the rationing WWII era.
korenainthekitchen.com/2013/03/27/daring-bakers-beet-red-velvet-cake/

@OP - having just got married my top advice is do whatever the fuck you want and stop worrying about conventions and what people will think. The only thing to consider regarding that is that you are generally mindful of people's dietary restrictions. our wedding had a vegan cheesecake I made and some other types of more generic cake with fruit n shit.

only thing against red velvet is that it's heavy as fuck, so you'll likely have to adjust how much of it to make. I support a red velvet wedding cake and think there is nothing wrong with your choice. not tacky, and definitely delicious. have fun OP.

What about chocolate cake? Too contrarian?

I had a carrot cake when i got married with my partner, her mom cooked it

When the ex and I were planning the wedding, the cunt wanted a multitiered cheesecake with typical arrowroot biscuit crust but with barquillos on the side of it and fresh fruit glazed on top, like a tart. I thought it looked dumb, but you can't argue with bitches about what they want on their wedding day. Despite being the groom, you're still just a spectator so your opinions are inconsequential. It's the bride's day, after all.

Besides food coloured chocolate cake, I've only had what someone called "real" red velvet once: it was made with grated beetroot and cocoa powder. I thought that the beetroot's what made it "real." Real red velvet or not, beetroot chocolate cake is delicious and I highly recommend it.

Divinity cake with white chocolate frosting.

It's for those attending a wedding that have couth.

I had 6 types of cakes, petifores and cream puffs at my wedding, because everyone doesn't like the same shit. Not 6 gigantic cakes, 6 medium 2 tier cakes, my favorite was spiced apple cake with applebutter buttercream frosting.

Unless your families are tip top cultural elites, no one actually cares about your wedding, don't worry too much

why the fuck would you put red food coloring into your cake?

get a regular fucking wedding cake or just go whole hog with a oreo icecream cake and shoot it into your guests mouths with a slingshot.

>@OP - having just got married my top advice is do whatever the fuck you want

My top advice is to do whatever the bride wants because you are literally just a human accessory

Unless you are the bride, in which case - be nice to your groom, when he says "I don't care' he means "I love you and am willing to support your decisions" because he's really just a human accessory.

and Red Velvet is fine. If you want honest opinions, just avoid fucking fondont cakes. They look great but it's like eating spackle.

PS: Fun fact, white shit is traditional at weddings because white shit was the most expensive. It was literally just a way to show off how wealthy the family was. It has/had nothing to do with "purity", and the tradition built from there.

So don't be afraid to splash in some color. Unless you're dead set on showing off how rich you are, no one really fucking cares. We're just there to celebrate and get free food. Weddings should be a party - not a turnt out party, but at least not a bantam death march of WASPy perfectionism

Just got married, and the top layer of our cake was red velvet.

Was a hit, so go for it.

I'm having cheesecake at my wedding, red velvet is much classier imo

i hate cake

Are you black?

>PS: Fun fact, white shit is traditional at weddings because white shit was the most expensive. It was literally just a way to show off how wealthy the family was. It has/had nothing to do with "purity", and the tradition built from there.
that isn't true dipshit, stop reading buzzfeed tier shit

>wedding cheesecake
you fuckers are gross

What's it like on the other side, brother?
>still trapped

>cunt
>bitches
>It's the bride's day, after all.

Apparently it's a lifetime of bitterness and seething with rage on the other side.

Nah dude but keep posturing like you know what you are saying.

Damn, that looks good.

He does

red velvet cake is for hussies

here.

Not so bad.
Because we owned nothing together and have no kids, the split was easy. After a few years of just getting my dick wet, I started dating again to good results, but nothing sticks just yet.

We had a seven tier red velvet with white icing at my wedding. I got really good feedback from the guests, and even better from my wife's teenage sons. They took most of the cake to school in packed lunches over the next few months, and the last two tiers got used at a pizza night they had with their girlfriends at our place. My wife was away on business, and I went to the all night mall so I didn't "kill their pizza vibe"

I think if you and your partner both want red velvet you should go for it, just make sure a competent baker makes it in a way that doesn't involve cheap dyed shit and that it has legit cream cheese icing. Most people love red velvet and if someone hates it then they can just snag a bunch of smaller deserts like eclairs or chocolate truffles. If it's within your budget an open bar makes for an excellent wedding no matter what.

If you get red velvet get it with the proper icing (sometimes called "cold gravy" or "ermine" icing) instead of meme cheese.

>legit cream cheese icing
lol i didn't even notice this before posting .