What spices are a staple in Indian cuisine?

What spices are a staple in Indian cuisine?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

let me google that for you

Turmeric
Cumin
Fenugreek
Green and black cardamom
Coriander
Curry leaves
Cinnamon
Hot red pepper
Garlic
Ginger
Amchar
Mustard seed
Bay leaf
Mild red chili
Fresh green chili
Saffron
Mint
Black pepper

There's more, that's just off the top of my head

Correct.

t. Indian

That's a lot.

Yeah, Indian food is very spice centric, but it's worth it. I buy them in bulk at the Indian market here, and store them in my freezer to keep them fresh. Except for the fresh spices like curry leaves and green chili, I have to go buy those fresh everytime.

Typical spice boxes.

This thread is shit. The question is simple enough that you can just google it, but too complex to shitpost about. Why did you make this thread?

That's for jap curry, not Indian curry.

What's the best website to learn about spices?

Garam Masala

That's a blend
Op asked for spices

Since this thread sucks I'm going to ask a related question.

I'm making tofu Tikka Masala for my gf tonight, and I've never made it before. I'm following some recipe I got off the internet and it seems simple enough. Any tricks or tips to setting this shit off? I'm making the marinade tonight and letting the tofu soak in it for about an hour, but I'm more concerned about the sauce.

I've barely eaten Indian food, and this is the first time I've ever tried cooking it.

You need to learn about tempering. Seriously. The way you handle the spices is EVERYTHING.

Also, where did you get your recipe, because that makes a difference.

What I should have just recommended in the first place is to get on YouTube and look up Vahchef. Look for his chicken or paneer tika masala and follow that recipe, just subbing tofu. And then watch other videos of his if you want some nice recipes for Indian food. I've made several, and they all turned out great.

It was a bullshit BuzzFeed recipe. Thanks for the suggestion, will look him up and watch the video.

Veeky Forums.org/ck/

Its gonna taste better if you fry the tofu separately and pour the curry over it.

dehydrated human shit

Poo in loo

curry leaves freeze decently well

You could add asafoetida (hing), fennel seeds, star anise, and mace/nutmeg to that list.

All of them?

Indian food is so goddamn good.

How do i git gud at cooking currys Veeky Forums

Same with any other cuisine: practice.

The biggest epiphanies for me were:
1) use whole spices, and toast them in a dry pan. Then grind them.
2) the color in many curries comes from the onions. Cook them low and slow, just like you would for French onion soup. It takes nearly an hour; do not skip this step, if you cut corners it won't taste right.

Figures. Thank you user. I really like butter chicken but my new town don't have any decent Indian restaurant

While it can take a while to cook many curry dishes, the good news is that they reheat very well. So make a big batch, portion it up, and freeze it.

Many restaurants simply cook the curry sauce (without meat) in huge batches and cook the meat to-order. You might consider doing the same.

That is exactly what I want to do, so I just need to get good at cooking curry itself.

so there's universal curry bases that can be used for multiple meats and veg dishes. dividing very broadly, north and south indian. north is good for chicken, lamb, dairy and hearty bean dishes. south for seafood, goat, pork, beef, and light veg and lentil dishes.

north curry base
ghee, whole cumin, coriander seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, whole red chillies. minced ginger garlic. fry for a minute. chopped onions. fry for another 15 minutes so the onion starts slightly pink. chopped tomatoes. reduce to 75% volume. blend. reduce to desired consistence. finish with cream and dried fenugreek leaves. bulk of the curry is made from tomatos and onions. keep more tomatoes for more tartness and more onions for sweetness.

save in freezer. whenever you need to use is pour over a tbsp of butter and add meat or veg or paneer.

south indian curry base.
coconut oil, mustard seeds, cumin, fenugreek seeds, whole chillies, black pepper and urad dal. onions. fry till translucent. add curry leaves. tamarind extract. raw sugar. dessicated coconut. water.

this is less universal than the north indian one and also supposed to be much thinner. usually also more bold and fresh flavors compared to the hearty autumnal flavors of north indian gravies.

you forgot skatole oil

This is a good post.
Thanks.

How the fuck can India recover from this?

reddit.com/r/Veeky Forums/comments/78ibks/cuck_wants_to_learn_how_to_cook_indian_food/

haha :)

Every time I eat at my local Indian place it's like having my soul patched up. The wonderful array of spices working in harmony no matter the medium, be it lamb or potato.
I know people say southern US food is "soul food" but Indian food is the soul food of the world.
I always leave my local place feeling more at peace with the universe and my place in it.

___