Do PhDs secretly want to supress other people from getting a PhD? Does it make them insecure?

Do PhDs secretly want to supress other people from getting a PhD? Does it make them insecure?

I was on a science subreddit and everyone was telling me that I'll have more job security with a B.S. in chemistry, as opposed to a PhD in chemistry. Funny thing is, going through everyone's post history, everyone telling me to not to get a PhD in chemistry just so happened to be employed with a PhD in chemistry. What does Veeky Forums have to say?

Attached: phds.jpg (800x600, 141K)

Its because getting a phd in chemistry is balls hard and not at all worth it.

What's a PhD that's worth it then?

PHDs are for specialized majors not broad ones like chemistry. Pick a subset of chem and master it.

None. You could have BS in Animal Science and run the Department of Energy

PhD begin capable research on tiny sub-set of field, just means way get a job as research or Professor.

Get 4-6 years experience on real world jobs will get you some manager,consultor or asesor job, more money, better jobs but avoid make science.

How difficult is a math PhD compared to Chem?

are you retarded? How about you just tell everyone on this board they're wasting their time when they can be getting an associates in massage therapy from McCann technical school. Literally retarded highschool counselor advice: "major in anything you want, and be whatever you want!"

Please kill yourself.

Attached: AR-309099467.jpg (664x498, 34K)

PhD Organic Chemist here. Everyone telling you to not get a PhD is fucking retarded.

Jobs for BS level Chemists are terrible. We're talking mindless quality control work, manufacturing, or basically a low-level R&D slave. You'll be lucky to make $50k/year, most likely less, and you'll always just be a technician.

I'm OP. Nice to have someone "reaffirm my biases". Where I go to school, everyone who graduates in chem that doesn't go to grad school ends up at Sanofi where they do simple QC tests or become a low level manager. They probably forget everything they know about chemistry in a year or two. Sounds completely joyless and a waste of a chemistry degree, never understood why so many people would rather do that over get a PhD.

My theory is that these are people who never got their PhD and are now trying to preach to everyone else to not get a PhD, or they actually do have a PhD and subconsciously tell people not to get a PhD because it makes them insecure/ they enjoy assuming everyone else is not smart enough to get a PhD

Attached: vial_capping_room.jpg (840x420, 102K)

I just graduated recently and am working in a QC lab, apparently from another thread I'm getting paid a bit better than some anons and so far I don't mind the work. I was considering grad school right off the bat, but I was getting kind of burned out on school and most schools don't really seem to accept incoming grads in the spring, I do fully intend to go back in a few years down the road and the company has a tuition assistance program so hopefully I won't have to pay for much at all.

Don't know how well it will look on a resume, but I'm sure it's a lot better than doing nothing and I've still got my research experience to fall back on. I was just curious as to what other people's opinions are on bachelor level chemistry jobs and all that. Large majority of my classmates were pre-med and the rest doing who knows what else.

Graduate students tend to have a huge complex about how their life is the most horrifically stressful and difficult existence ever.
It gives them validation to paint getting a PhD as impossible and hellish when they did/are doing it.

At my school everyone was telling me to, I was already planning on it but I had a lot of support from professors and the like. I am graduating with a biochem degree but I'm going into a biophysics program if that makes it any different.

Yeah several of my professors, especially the two that were on a study abroad I took over the summer were really trying to steer me towards grad school. I was considering it, but I was really worried about rushing things too much.

I am excited, I just got into grad school and I am really excited to go next fall. My university is small and underfunded but the teachers actually gave a fuck. The way I see it, what's there to gain by waiting? An extra year to fuck about? Some time to work in industry doing shit I don't actually care about?

I wish you the best of luck user. In my situation the reason I was hesitant about doing grad school right off the bat is that I had just come back to work on my B.S. in 2015 after having kind of dropped out since the beginning of 2010. Reason I was out of school for so long was I did community college right out of high school for 2 years and didn't have much issues, but when I transferred to an actual university the mental health issues I had been having since high school started to drastically take a turn for the worse, to the point where I was failing my classes and starting to lose my mind. I eventually dropped out and was later diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder which gave me hell for years. Eventually I somewhat stabilized, but knew I had to get finish working on my degree otherwise it would be hopeless. Went back to a different university, stumbled at first, but eventually pushed myself forward and did really well and graduated, I was just worried that the transition to grad school might cause a risk of a relapse.

Sorry for the blogpost.

Don't worry, this kinda thing happens to the best of us.

That is rough, I feel ya. My GPA took a fucking huge hit when I started passing out and my depression reared its ugly head. If it makes you feel any better I managed to get into a pretty good grad program with a 3.07 GPA

Yeah it certainly sucked for awhile, but hey, I managed to come back 5 years later, get my B.S., make new friends, and start getting my life back on track.

For anyone else who's had issues with mental health or just life, don't give up on your aspirations, even if it takes you years to get back on track it's never too late.

I still managed to come out with a 3.43 in the end, maybe not that high, but at least I did semi-decently. I also did undergrad research for 4 semesters and got a lot of experience and even two papers that I'm co-authored on.

I'm currently finishing my masters in chemistry and working in industry. If you just want to work and don't mind getting paid 20/hr for the first few years. I imagine you could have a happy career in industry. Eventually with just a B.S.you're going to hit a wall and the best you can do is senior scientist(which is a good 100k). If you want to advance further than that and still don't mind getting paid mediocre for a few years than a masters is a good idea.Honestly though I really don't find industry to be a very engaging environment and I do R&D work with no hint of quality control. Industry work varies rapidly from company to company so it could just be a matter of finding the right culture. Maybe big pharma research jobs are a blast. Either way I think I'm also on my way to a PhD program.

It's almost impossible to compare because very few people have experienced more than one phd. The thing is, unless you're in love with your field and willing to make it your life, I can't image a phD being anything other than a living hell. I'm in grad school for pure math right now and a chemistry phd would be impossible for me. Really, any science phd would be. On the other hand, it takes a very specific kind of person to suffer through a phd math.

I agree completely. Don't get a PhD unless you're going to devote your life to it, That's literally the point of the degree. Why else would you spend 6 years studying something ? You can make more money being a lawyer or doing intellectual property. Those programs take half as long.

Only PhD worth doing is the mathematics Ph.D which gives you 300k, starting.

>Graduate students tend to have a huge complex about how their life is the most horrifically stressful and difficult existence ever.

and the funny thing is that most of them have never worked a real lifesucking job

>If it makes you feel any better I managed to get into a pretty good grad program with a 3.07 GPA
my gpa is flat 3 and all my profs are saying I should go for the phd. idk if they're a bunch of fags or what.

>Graduate students tend to have a huge complex about how their life is the most horrifically stressful and difficult existence ever.
yeah I mean it's really fun to bait the other grad students into sounding like assholes

Because they know that they wasted their time and they are trying to save you from wasting that time as well. You need to learn how to do basic market research idiot.

At least there your tasks are clear.

PhD is for people who genuinely love a tiny subset of a field and want to work on it for their whole life.
In terms of jobs, your options will be severely limited. You should only pursue it if research is the most important thing to you.

I had a bunch of extracurricular stuff to help my stuff work better

extracurriculars a shit I do research

research + building equipment for scientists at my school = extracurricular

are you talking about letters of rec then? extra curricular are like sports or non academic clubs

google rick perry you retard

ex·tra·cur·ric·u·lar
ˌekstrəkəˈrikyələr/Submit
adjective
(of an activity at a school or college) pursued in addition to the normal course of study.

Building supercomputers and spectrometers as well as research are all outside of the regular course of study.

1. Let A€GLn(C), N€Mn(C) nilpotent, and AN=NA
Prove that det(A+N)=det(A)
It's an easy exercice

2. Prove tr((A+B)^p)=tr(A^p)+tr(B^p) mod p, p a prime number and A,B€Mn(R)
It's a little bit harder

But I heard American students are really bad in math (even math students), they're trained to learn methods and to calculate quickly, but they can't reason

quit being a smart ass it's why you won't get a letter

>But I heard American students are really bad in math (even math students), they're trained to learn methods and to calculate quickly, but they can't reason
all true

actually i was able to do some problems quicker than a german foreign student (they are typically smarter than i am)

>You can make more money being a lawyer or doing intellectual property. Those programs take half as long.

JD's take just as long as any PhD, usually longer. 7 years at the minimum, longer if you fuck up the Bar.

becoming big-shot bullshit lawyer also requires so much luck and mind-numbing work after school it makes a PhD look like kiddy fun-time.

basically the way it works for us is testing testing testing, so by the time they're in college that's all they know...how do i get good at the tests? it's mental. the profs know it's a problem, but we send our worst students (the women) to teach high school math. it's a problem and it's very much gender specific. they're encouraged to go into teaching as a passion without ever developing the tools to self evaluate whether they're right for the job.

>JD's take just as long as any PhD
no way? i swear i knew a guy who was done in two years from USC

They're telling you because it's true. There is more demand for drone-tier lab techs for analytics (BSc work) than for lab head PhDs (bear in mind you also need a postdoc). If you like chemistry, then you should still go for a PhD (given you're at a top program).

I'm a chem MSc in Switzerland and you can just erase the thought of doing research without a PhD+postdoc out of your mind immediately. Without them you will not be taken seriously here and might be able to get a job that is repetitive cancer for low pay. I however do not want to work >60hrs in a lab of a slave-driving PI for 4 years (PhD) + 1.5-2 years (postdoc) so I will completely change industries. I guess I just fucked up by picking chemistry and not physics or something.

Attached: 1518888826551.jpg (1080x1350, 123K)

physics/math seemed the easiest route for me. it's all mental work. ideally with a phd i'd get to really drown out the world in my own thoughts (and be paid to do it).

i could enrol in a 2 year JD program right now

(i have a bachelors already, not in law)

Yeah, what I would have liked about math&physics is that you can go into finance and business much easier than with something less quantitative such as chemistry. Wish they'd tell you before/in undergrad that you are almost required to do a PhD to get a decent job (and then you compete with the already over saturated market of chemistry PhDs)

>given you're at a top program

What exactly is a top program for PhD? Top 50? Top 100?

Why don't we all just drop out of high school since Eminem dropped out of highschool and has a networth of 200 million? You actually think you're giving valuable advice by giving Rick Perry as your primary example? So because Trump picked Rick Perry we can all just major in whatever we want and do whatever we want? Never fails to amaze me how stupid some of you actually are

Attached: trump_perry.jpg (640x569, 106K)

By that definition whenever i masterbate in the school bathroom is an extracuricular.

What you should do is get into a chemistry phd program, and drop out (prob end of your second year) when you can leave with a masters. Enjoy the ~25k a year stipend and youll get a degree where you dont have to do the expoitative bullshit known as a postdoc. Also analytical chemistry. Its always in demand in industry

it was clearly a joke that you didn't get, which is why i let you know what the other user was referencing. please stop trolling yourself