Hey Veeky Forums, i've never had sushi, but i'm going to a sushi place in a few days with some friends...

hey Veeky Forums, i've never had sushi, but i'm going to a sushi place in a few days with some friends. i've been reading up on sushi etiquette and I learned about all the basics like eat it in one bite, do not mix soy sauce w/wasabi, ginger is for palate cleaning and not a condiment, etc etc...

but my question is about soy sauce and sushi rolls. i learned that when you eat sushi that's just topping on top of rice, you always dip it into soy sauce topping side down, and never the rice.

but if it's sushi roll, do i dip it on the nori side or the "exposed" side?

any other tips for a 1st time sushi eater would be appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0r3e2x0gdJg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no one is going to give two fucks, But nori side is preferable. its the soaking of rice in soy sauce that's unwanted.

>a few days

Not enough time to learn the etiquette. It takes months, if not years, to master sushi dining.

Just cancel. Pretend to have the flu. Spare yourself the shame and embarrassment.

The dude making the sushi gives zero fucks about etiquette. That poor soul has to deal with drunk fucks all day doing it "wrong". Your friends also wont give a damn.

All you need to practice is chop sticks if you are going with those but you can eat with your hands just fine.

>its the soaking of rice in soy sauce that's unwanted.
but rice with soy sauce tastes great

>do not mix soy sauce w/wasabi
Why not??

Traditionally, wasabi is supposed to come with the sushi itself. Piece by piece. I've never seen it done like this, but it's originally supposed to be served as the proper amount of wasabi as intended by the chef.

Not him, but the place I go to puts a little hill of green goodness on the side of the plate. What I do from there is free game.

I just mix in some wasabi in with some soy suace because its a medium ground between too much skull blasting heat (just wasabi) and no heat.

This is the way most places serve it and part of our Americanization of sushi I guess. I like to mix my wasabi with my soy sauce personally, but I'm pretty sure each piece is supposed to have individuals dabs of wasabi as intended by the chef. Whatever though.

>each piece is supposed to have individuals dabs of wasabi
I think it tastes better this way, but its so easy to accidentally over wasabi it up, and then your skull explodes for 30 seconds, so i pick the safer middle ground course. If the chef had already set it up with the right amount, that would be cool, but I dont have a chef, the only sushi I eat nowadays is from whole Foods ;_;

There's a pretty dope spot near my place that does $1 nigiri and $2.50 rolls during happy hour. I don't mind paying for food that I feel like would be too tedious to make myself.

wrong, they mix wasabi withsoy sauce in japan aswell, if it's not a fancy restaurant

youre gonna do great

>manners are determined by what tastes better
no

mixing wasabi and soy sauce isn't bad manners in most of the world, only in weeaboo and anime nations

Can confirm this.
Anyone who says otherwise is a weeaboo fantasist, it’s perfectly acceptable.

It is like this. I've been to several local sushi bars in Tokyo and you always get sushi with a little bit of wasabi between the fish and rice. Talking about nigiri of course.

Rice looses stickiness if you soak it in soy sauce. That's why.

So what?

Sushi falls apart between your chopsticks. Also taste of rice is worthy itself, soy sauce is only to "spice" it up.

You don’t eat sushi with chopsticks, you fucking moron.

>do not mix your wasabi with soy sauce
literally everyone does this, including the japanese
or if you want to be a spergy redditor that listens to Anthony Bourdain, watch and follow this video
youtube.com/watch?v=0r3e2x0gdJg