What should I do with all these chanterelles I found, user? probably like 4-5 lbs

what should I do with all these chanterelles I found, user? probably like 4-5 lbs

Why are some black? I'd just fry in butter and cream and put on nice toast ngl.

thanks user! that's a good idea
the black bits are just clumps of dirt on the stems- they last longer in the fridge if you don't clean them until you're ready to cook
unless you mean the purple mushroom up top, that's a gomphus clavatus rather than a chanterelle

>Why are some black
We call them "chanterelles of colour" nowadays, user.

My mum used to always fry up some fatty ham (idk the english name) with onions and those, then add sourcream near the end. Eat with potatoes, it's glorious

They look really pale.. I guess it's late in the season, just remember to only pick and eat stuff you are 100 % sure of.

I recently picked 6 kg of funnel chanterelles, fried up about half to remove moisture for freezing and dried the rest.

The best thing you can do with golden chanterelles is fry them up in some butter, salt and pepper, touch of cream and put that on a toasted piece of sourdough. Pure bliss.

Dry them if nothing else

it's actually the very beginning of the season where I live, and this is pretty much the normal color for most of the species we get around here- the smaller, really bright yellow ones are fairly rare

I like them with brown butter and hazelnuts
Or you could fuck yourself?

I see, where in the world are you? Scandinavia here, our chanterelles are very bright and golden in colour. Right now, the funnel chanterelles are literally covering the forest bottom, you can pick until it's too heavy to carry.

Cook em eat em good

mushroom risotto

Remember to use a mesh bag!

northwestern US
scandinavia sounds comfy- unfortunately there are a lot more people here so you have to search a bit to find a good patch

Ah I see! Mushroom picking is nearly a national passtime here so you sometimes have to search a little here too. But since we have "The Right to Roam" you can basically go anywhere so it's not hard. I was in north cal in september, including Tahoe, but it was probably way too early.

yeah west coast summers are usually quite dry until the end of september or so. the mushrooms only start popping up a couple weeks after the rain comes back for the winter, so I think you were just a bit early. nice haul you got back home though!

I heard the other day they had to cancel a 10,000 man joint U.S. and Polish military exercise because there were to many Poles out foraging. They were worried they might kill civilians in a simulated tank battle. Interesting thought that food comes before war.

Everyone usually makes chantarelle sauce that goes very well together with potatoes

How do I start picking mushrooms? I don't even know where to go to get them.

>Interesting thought that food comes before war.
Only because it was on polish
soil guaranteed

You shouldn't wash mushrooms at all, brush off excess dirt but actually washing isn't recommended.

fry cook them in butter with some onion, salt and black pepper. at the end of cooking add sour cream and cook a bit more. Eat with boiled potatoes or put on toast or something

There are black chanterelles that grow on the east coast of the US, not sure if they grow elsewhere

Make a chanterelle chandelier. Admire with some Champaign. How fucking cute would that be.

mushroom ravioli?

or if you feel like getting fancy try them a duxelle sauce for beef wellington.

ngl, the mushroom, butter and cream ontop of some crusty bread sounds great

Why wouldn't you clean them before collecting?

>Gomphus clavatus
Is that any good? I used to see them a lot where I used to live but they were always buggy.

Flyovers choice

forests near you
pick a mushroom that is abundant in your region and stick to it )learn to recognize it and where to find it )
also learn which mushrooms that might resemble the mushroom that you picked are toxic and learn to differientiate them

usually stick to a few mushrooms that you enjoy and if you go alone do not pick any mushroom the mere fact of putting some toxic in the same bag as edibles might give you some unpleasant shits

since chanterelles have a pleasant chewyness i just fry them with butter and eggs

if they aren't buggy they make pretty solid cream of mushroom soup or can just be used in place of generic grocery store mushrooms for most things

made some pork chops with tomato chanterelle sauce

I found a decent patch this past summer and pickled them using Hank Shaw's recipe. God damn phenomenal. I've done the same with chicken of the woods and they came out just as good.

1 to 1 1/2 pounds chanterelles or other mushrooms
2 cups white wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon black peppercorns

Get your canning gear ready and a large pot of water hot. Clean your mushrooms of any dirt, mold or wet spots. Cut large ones in half and keep small chanterelles whole.
Dry saute the mushrooms in a large frying pan. When they give up their water, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of salt on them, along with the thyme. Once the chanterelles have given up most of their water, pour over the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn the temperature down to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Fish out the mushrooms and pack firmly into jars, leaving at least 1/2 inch headspace. Make sure each jar gets a bay leaf and some peppercorns.
Ladle in the cooking liquid. Make sure it covers the mushrooms. Add more white wine vinegar or distilled vinegar to top off if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars and seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

>Fry in butter with maldon sea salt
>toast sourdough
>lightly rub toast with garlic clove
>put fried chanterelles on top
>try not to jizz in pants while eating

Please don't add more than 2 or 3 things to something with such a delicate unique flavour it would be like pouring diet coke in a glass of 15 year Bladnoch