Burger vs. Sandwich

How's it going, Veeky Forums? Do you know what's the difference between a burger and a sandwich?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_hamburger
earlofsandwichusa.com/menu/
whatscookingamerica.net/History/HamburgerHistory.htm
history.com/news/hungry-history/hamburger-helpers-the-history-of-americas-favorite-sandwich
kidzworld.com/article/17602-history-of-hamburgers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ahem.

A burger is a sandwich, but a sandwich is not a burger.

SO people just call them burgers because of the meat? That's kinda reasurring, but why did it become so popular that menus offer a pletora of burgers apart from sandwiches?

Because the tools used for making hamburgers are different enough from the tools used for making most other sandwiches (based on cold cuts rather than ground meat) that it's a better business choice to specialize in primarily ground meat sandwiches with a variety of toppings, aka burgers.

>there are people who call it a beefburger

It originally was a cheap, fast lunch for workers in the hub of the industrial age. Most of the oldest hamburger stands in America were located near large factories or other industrial plants. Their popularity exploded after WWII, and became a staple of young people going out on cheap dates or to schmooze with their friends. Drive-ins were huge. Once chains started opening across America, it solidified the hamburgers place as it's own category of food, and has just continued to grow from there. That's it in a nutshell.

>he thinks the hamburger originated in America

I never said that, stop reading things that aren't fucking there, mong.

Fried minced beef sandwhiches are from the USA.

>t. Some retard who thinks it originated in Germany

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_hamburger

>t. some retard who isn't unable to count 1 and 1 together
the german hamburger (which didn't consist of patties inbetween) got brought by germans to you. just because you slap two fucking bread slices on it doesn't make it any more your cuisine.
deal with it, all your food is influenced from other cultures

>Wikipedia, that open source site that can be edited by anyone is a credible source
Millenials, man.

No one doubts that all our food has been brought from other cultures (except the native Americans), BUT you euros and Asians and everyone else doesn't realize how much those original recipes and foods have morphed into other dishes here. We still have authentic cuisine from all our cultures, but we also have new, hybrid, modified, and in some cases, supremely wonderful variations on those. And, it's not something to be upset about. That's why we're the "Great American Melting Pot", even if right now a bunch of stupid, scared little pissant white boys want to try and take us back to the 1900s, pre war. Dumbasses.

>t. some retard who doesn't know what "count" means.
The near-eastern beef got brought by people in what is now Turkey to you almost 11 thousand years ago. Just because you use a shitty fucking grinder to mince it all together doesn't make it any more your cuisine.
Deal with it, this makes as much sense as your garbage claim that burgers are German.

>le wikipedia is not credible maymay
I thought this died years ago. Guess not.

Stop talking

earlofsandwichusa.com/menu/

That's owned by the actual Earl of Sandwich.

That's kinda insightful. Would you say that McDonalds influenced burger prominence much more than it was supposed to get? My grandparents always called them sandwiches and said that hamburger or burger sounded stupid, but at the time I felt that both were almost in the same category either way, didn't know which term originate first, but assumed "Sandwich" came first.

So you think Wikipedia is a credible source?

Probably a millenial that got BTFO by his teacher when he referenced it directly in a paper.

Your point of view would be much more convincing if you could find evidence to refute him you know. Instead of just saying "nuh-uh" like it matters.

The fact that it can be edited by anyone is proof enough.

whatscookingamerica.net/History/HamburgerHistory.htm
history.com/news/hungry-history/hamburger-helpers-the-history-of-americas-favorite-sandwich

One that might be friendlier to you: kidzworld.com/article/17602-history-of-hamburgers

On a lot of old menus, they would call it a "hamburger sandwich", so I assume some people ended up preferring one term or another. My parents and grandparents never called them "burgers", always "hamburgers". That shortening of the word didn't really become popular widely until the seventies and eighties.
McDonald's definitely had an affect on burger prominence nationwide, however I really think local burger places and local chains were overall more influential.

>it can be edited by anyone
[citation needed]

burger has beef and a potato bun, sandwich is anything else.