/mg/ - Math general

What kind of math are you studying today?

Attached: rin_alg_top.png (1279x719, 3.52M)

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/pdf/1311.2758v1.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=WUvTyaaNkzM&list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

(2^2)-1=3

I must learn all differentia/riemannian geometry and lie theory. Please help me.

Watch yourselves! The category theorists are plotting an armed revolution! They figured out how to weaponize Yoneda's Lemma!

How high were they?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-15 22-17-02.png (589x488, 38K)

That's pretty usual.

First time I've seen it.

It's more of a coup actually. And we have already been successful, check the news.

Attached: 1520735192142.gif (480x270, 2.71M)

Undergrad Complex Analysis. Its pretty easy but the class isnt that rigorous. I asked for book recommendations and my profeasor leant me Alfhors. So Ive been working through that and its fun. Also I recently got Conways Functions of One Complex Variable so I have that to look forward too.

I am helping a friend with a question for a comp science degree application.

The question states:
If SKU = 153 , SHIP = 156 , and STORE = 231. What is the value of UNICORN?

I've tried googling the solution, finding a pattern with the letters and numbers, different combinations for the three number sets for a UPC code or anything really but found nothing.

Currently the best answer I have is that unicorn is a term in the financial industry for a company valued at >$1b.

Another retarded solution I had was inserting the numbers given into the nine 0s in the >1b definition, resulting in $1,153,156,231.

Also this is from a university program sponsored by Shopify and they have an internal communication system called UNICORN but that still does not answer the question.

Any ideas?

What kind of question is that? Too ambiguous.

Is pi a prime number?

Attached: 1511649095433.jpg (460x336, 40K)

It is a question for a university program application.

I'm honestly not sure why they are asking this or if there even is a correct answer.

I think they are simply trying to test how you solve problems during the interview stage where they review your answers.

Why are you spacing your posts in this retarded way?

That university is weird, don't go there.

I didn't really think about it, just do it out of habit. I think at some point they told us to space shit out to improve readability.

I'm not going there it is a friend who was having a problem answering this question on their application.

The university is not considered the best for its location but the program does offer fully paid tuition, paid internship and a comp science degree.

>comp science degree
Ask in the .

Assume "pi" exists, then "pi" is both prime and not prime.

Algebra and Trig. Really rusty on them all and been wanting to brush up.

I want to research low dimensional topology, so I am studying Riemann surfaces right now. How do I get into mapping class groups and Teichmuller spaces?

This is a nice paper arxiv.org/pdf/1311.2758v1.pdf

Really emphasizes the connections to dynamics, which is cool.

Queuing theory (1-persistent CSMA) and it's making me sad because I have difficulty with it

He's being considerate to all the dyslexic kids and retards who get intimidated by real paragraphs, we're on Veeky Forums after all.

Pretty beautiful mathematics imo. Serves as a good intro to algebraic topology too.

yes because i use pi to represent my primes in number fields

>Serves as a good intro to algebraic topology too.
How is clogging your brain up with garbage a good introduction to algebraic topology?

Just got an offer for a good uni PhD without any funding - I could apply next year but meh. Also my adviser looks like a pretty young associate professor and they're giving me until September to accept the offer. Is this a good idea?

I was thinking, since this is my first offer, could I start using it as leverage to make other unis start accepting/rejecting me a bit faster? Cos i havent heard anything from any other

to prepare yourself for the garbage yet to come

Why would you prepare yourself for more complex analysis if you want a good introduction to algebraic topology?

Where the heck are you going to get the money? I wouldn't even consider it.

From zįm's parents, obv.

Attached: 13276576365763.gif (500x270, 872K)

My parents could probably afford to pay my maintenance and i can apply for a government loan, but yeah kinda sucks.

What percentage of phds gets funding?

Get a job

depends on the uni. In the UK, unless you're going to the creme of the creme or the shit of the shit, it's about 50%.

Real analysis, which I can do fine, and basic abstract algebra, which is far more difficult for me than it should be. To be honest, though, I suspect it's because I find algebra less interesting.

>it's because I find algebra less interesting
Ah, the usual non-self-aware-brainlet excuse.

Attached: 1518737343791.jpg (1280x720, 123K)

I find concrete abstract algebra (ie: discussion of specific groups, properties, etc) pretty boring but when adjoined to category theory it's pretty beautiful

How is a coordinate singularity defined mathematically?

>concrete abstract algebra
This is blatantly nonsensical even if we forget that the term "abstract algebra" is itself retarded.
>discussion of specific groups, properties, etc
What do you mean?

Calculus

Never heard of this field of math. Is it something new?

ie looking at the dihedral group and the symmetries of polygons, alternating groups, etc. Actually, I very much dislike most of group theory.

R-permutation

I am not sure if I can ask her but I am a philosophy student and there is a philosopher I want to read that uses a lot of set theory and category theory, any good easy book to read on these topics?

>set theory and category theory
This is a thread for mathematics.

Most set theory books have a very 'mathematical' approach to it that can make it hard to the non-experienced reader (basically because of their constant use of the 'mathematical proof').

But fuck it. If you already understand logic (if not read The Laws of Truth) and how axiomatic systems work (if not, try Metamathematics) I'd go for Enderton's and Jech's set theory books. Don't know much about category theory though.

Just out of curiosity, is that philosopher Alain Badiou?

And, what do you think were the influences for Schopenhauer's revolutionary thoughts? Orientals+Kant don't seem coherent to me

Thanks!
I'll look up these books.

>Just out of curiosity, is that philosopher Alain Badiou?
Yes, I am studying Ontology and was fascinated with his statement " Ontology is Mathematics"
So I wanted to read his book " being and event " and it's sequel " logic of worlds "

>And, what do you think were the influences for Schopenhauer's revolutionary thoughts? Orientals+Kant don't seem coherent to me
I only Know Schopenhauer from his influence on Wittgenstein, didn't go into him in depth yet.

How can I tell what's mathematical and what is not mathematical if there's no rigorous definition of "mathematics"? I've become increasingly skeptical that category theory is mathematics

When you compute the path integral, what are you physically computing?

Polynomials

>physically computing
Please refer to the physics thread

THIS WILL NEVER MAKE SENSE TO ME REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: IMG_20180316_171627680.jpg (2672x2004, 421K)

Whats a good free online graphing calculator?

I use the first ones to pop up on google and they are all wrong.

Attached: Line_integral_of_scalar_field.gif (400x300, 580K)

It's like your usual single-variable limit, except now you approach the point from any direction on a 2D-plane instead of approaching it from "left and right"

Self-studying basic geometry from Kobayashi&Nomizu. Apart from some mistakes and unconventional definitions (they define wedge product to be just the image of the alternation of tensor product, without the factor of (n+m)!/n!m!, which makes theorems have all these crazy factors), the book is actually pretty good.

Trying to calculate tensors using chopsticks

Hi everyone, I'm a freshman math major who took AP Calc last year but didn't take the AP test because I knew my understanding of concepts was just too weak.
As such I'm currently getting a comprehensive algebra review which is nice, does anyone have any online resources that would allow me to get a solid review of calc one so that I could test out of it next semester?

Why are the most retarded posters also the most obnoxious.

follow the mit course on youtube or download a calc1 text on libgen. stewart if youre engie or science major, apostol if youre math major

Can't I just pay someone to do these fucking math courses. Why the fuck in gods name do I need to know trigonometry for IT?

>Why the fuck in gods name do I need to know trigonometry for IT?
Because if you're too stupid to understand trigonometry you shouldn't be trusted with anyone's computer

>having to learn adv math to turn on a computer.
We need rocket scientists to paint houses next.

Usually for manipulation of algorithms for efficiency and reverse engineering, but typically most cs curriculums use higher math as weeding out.

if derivative gives you the tangent, does an integral transform the tangent graph back into its pre-tangent phase? is that a bad way to think about it?

also, why is the area under a curve useful in the first place? what does it tell me?

The CS class had even more math, I'm going in for a lower level IT, mostly security certs. I'm not really going to be designing anything. The most I will do is tell non tech savvy sales persons to change their passwords

youtube.com/watch?v=WUvTyaaNkzM&list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr

Check this playlist if you really care about the intuition behind it. It's not that long.

>trigonometry
>advanced math

Attached: braindead wojak.png (300x300, 9K)

For someone bad at math like me it's rocket science.

desmos is goat

>they define wedge product to be just the image of the alternation of tensor product
b-but it is

Does [math] \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{k!} [/math] converge towards a real value ? Is there any way of calculating it ?

Well, [math]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k!}=e[/math]. What exactly is "dx", to you?

So is "dx" approaching 0?
Because if so would the value just be 0

Same. I have an exam on Tuesday( right after spring break of course) so I pretty much canceled all of the plans I had this week to review.

The professor said that they would be checking emails every few days as well as post the answer key for the review.

It's been over a week, no replies to anyone's emails, and no answer key.

I think I'll do alright, but goddamn.

Attached: shit&shitaccessories.jpg (626x460, 97K)

>also, why is the area under a curve useful in the first place? what does it tell me?

>mfw when I calculate the volume of a girls tits by rotating them over my D-axis

Attached: SheSuccMe.jpg (480x360, 15K)

Yeah but it's an infinite sum

If dx is constant with respect to k, then for any value of dx your sum is just e*dx, by If dx depends on k in some way you should indicate that more clearly.

Thanks!

Intro to Proofs and Integral Calculus

The Proofs class was hard at first but then became super duper easy I love it.

Integral Calculus is just boring. I hate grinding integral calculations it is so tedious and frustrating sometimes.

I like setting up the problem, though. I just hate punching in the numbers.
I'm not really a "Math is my passion" kind of guy. I'm just doing a Math and Stats program for the sole purpose of developing employable skills. I like Math don't get me wrong, but it's not something I'll be doing on my free time. I'm just getting skills.

>I'm just doing a Math and Stats program
Nothing you mentioned includes any field of math. So you're just doing a "Stats" program. You should discuss that on proper channels, for example and .

Graph theory

Numerical linear algebra

This is a mathematical thread, not a thread about "applications" of category theory to things not related to mathematics.
>Alain Badiou
Ask in . I'm sure their kind can help you.

>Don't know much about category theory though.
Maybe you should spend more time on studying actual math then instead of "Metamathematics" and "The Laws of "Truth""? Or better yet just post on instead of this thread?

Attached: 1515369673746.jpg (383x414, 39K)

Category theory is irrelevant to most of mathematics, actually.

>most of mathematics
This is not well-defined. Try using and to discuss this further.

>This is not well-defined.
What do you mean?

>What do you mean?
"mathematics" is not well-defined, thus "most of mathematics" is equally not well-defined.

>equally not well-defined
This is not well-defined. Please refer to if you wish to discuss such trash further.

Hey guys. I was wondering if "The Metamathematics of Ontological Truthhood" is a good place to start learning math? I heard it uses set theory so surely it must be good, right? Haven't heard much about category theory though.

>math
This is not well-defined.

It was defined in "The Deeper Meaning of Metamathematics and Set Theory" by Foucalt et al. though? How can it not be well defined? Are you trying to say that Philosophy doesn't use Set Theory? By which I mean "are you trying to say that Philosophy is unrigorous trash?". Haven't heard much about category theory though.

Also see Biandou's Deeper work on the "True Methaphysics of Set Theory and Truth". It is truly an insightful piece of art which uses forcing to make its underlying deeper point.

>It was defined in "The Deeper Meaning of Metamathematics and Set Theory" by Foucalt et al. though?
To be defined is not to be well-defined.

That's some deep philosophy right there, my friend. I will ruminate on this for a while and contact you after reading the chapter of "Methaphysical Classical Logic and its Relation to Platonic Ontological Truth" which mentions this. Actually, first I will go ahead and learn about forcing since it is used heavily in "The Deeper Ontology of Sets".

What is the best book to learn about "Homotopy Kan Extensions"? I'm actually a mathematician but I've never heard of them.
I need to read a philosophy book on "The History of Ontological Sexuality" which makes heavy use of them and meta Grothendieck Universes via meta-forcing.