The secret is to mix a little wasabi with your soy sauce before you dip your sushi into it

>The secret is to mix a little wasabi with your soy sauce before you dip your sushi into it

uh...that's no secret

Do Americans really do this?

The secret is to use your ginger like a little brush to gently dab on top and not dunk your sushi like tendies

I unironiccally never understood the "no mixing" meme. Both taste great together on sushi. Is it just some traditional thing that people outside of japanese culture pretend actually has any bearing on the taste or is there something to it?

Yeah and so do japs

Japanese culture is essentially a cult and the Japanese mind can't comprehend when something goes against it. Weaboos of course will defend it

I don't really like this with my sushi, but dipping edamame in this is god tier.
I feel so trashy when I do it but I don't care.

Pro tip: put thw ginger on top of each bite of sushi. Cleanses your pallett as you eat

This is actually dumb.

i know you're being sarcastic but like said.

in higher end sushi shops, they give you the 'right' amount of wasabi with your your piece of sushi.

also, it's food. you're paying for it and if you like it that way, do it.

I read that it's proper etiquette to eat sushi with your fingers but every time I do it people stare. Why?

because you are ugly

You do not use the gari to brush the soy on you fool.

Btfo
How will redditfrog ever recover?

Watch out!!! You're going to trip over that bucket of BAIT.

It's not bait, it's sushi

I got banned from a local AYCE sushi place for ordering ass loads of nigiri and only eating the fish. I would wrap the rice balls in a napkin, pocket them, and throw away in the bathroom. Was I in the wrong? I tried asking for just the fish but they said "no".

I also mix my wasabi and soy but I feel like this is encouraged.

this is literally the only reason people eat sushi op

You no come back!

quit being poor and order sashimi you jew

>dipping your sushi in it instead of dumping it on the rice side and then smearing it all together with chopsticks so it can absorb all of the flavor and garnishing it with authentic crumbled Japanese fortune cookie
pleb

Leave your dakimura at home next time, weeb.

>sushi chef spends time adding just the right amount of sauce to nigiri or maki so it enhances the flavor of the fish
>stupid customer dunks the whole piece in an overly strong mixture of wasabi and soy sauce then plops a piece of ginger on top.
>tfw

>susgi chef spends time adding just the right amount of sauce to nigiri or maki so it enhances the flavor of the fish
This literally never happens in American sushi restaurants, you fucking weeb.

It's mostly just a pretentious foodie meme, like how some fancy restaurants do not have salt and pepper shakers on the table because the food is supposed to be seasoned correctly already.

But in theory, when you mix the soy sauce with the wasabi, you've lost control over the relative spiciness vs saltiness of the sushi. You're likely to have several different types on the table and some may taste better with relatively more wasabi flavor that soy flavor or more soy flavor than wasabi flavor. By applying one uniform flavor profile to all of it, you may slightly diminish your dining experience.

It does where I live, cunt. We have actual good sushi here. Too bad for you.

great way to overpower the savory fish flavor that you paid $5 for, for 2 pieces.

I think they do not offer sashimi on the AYCE menu, thus my rice disposal antics

This is literally what I was told. But at the time I had a ponytail and was 60 lbs lighter. I've been back a handful of times since then and they don't even recognize me! Now I just wear cargo pants and pocket all the rice and throw it away at home. I still piss all over the toilet paper rolls out of spite though

Fuck off. If I want sushi that I payed for to be soggy and salty as fuck, that's my own god damned business.

I make my own california rolls at home so I can pile on a fuck ton of wasabi because I love the burn.

I take it easy if I am at a legit sushi place.

Maybe not in flyover shitholes

I live in Socal

>Socal
>not a shithole

That's the thing though, I'm not even a weeb and I'm the furthest thing from a fedora-wearing autismo. I even ask the server if it's acceptable if I'm in a new place. They always say "sure!'

the japanese DO do it though
its like how hipsters say the japanese dont like cheese or mayonaisse when they love the stuff

asian here. if you're eating at a restaurant that knows its shit you don't need to add wasabi to your soy sauce as the sushi should already have the right amount of wasabi in it. if it's sashimi soya sauce alone is good enough. but of course that's just being traditional. eat your sushi however you want, but be careful not to breathe through your nose

>fork

Probably National City, or Chula Vista.
You’re fucking garbage.

>go to new sushi restaurant
>sit down with my dakimakura and order
>after the waitress brings my order ask her
>"I-Is it acceptable to e-eat this with my fingers? I't said so in my J-Japanese etiquette manual"
>she responds with "sure whatever" and walks away
>jokes about you with the chad bartender

I got some fresh young ginger from the market. What would you do with it, apart from serving it with rice?

Please be true.

Fresh ginger? Pretty much useless, my dude. You fucked up. Only pickled ginger is useful, and only with sushi. Unless you want to bother with the laborious pickling process, I'd see if the store will give you a refund

>caring what someone else does with your work after they gave you their money
As long as no one else gets hurt, who cares?

I seriously don't know what to do with the ginger I get at sushi restaurants. How am I supposed to use it?

So where is the good sushi at?
I live in San Francisco.

eat a piece and take a sip of water.

your palate is now reset for the next variety of sushi

I use a fucking ton of wasabi because fuck you sushi chef, I'm no pussy

because it's not actually proper etiquette.
been living in Japan 10 years and literally no-one does this.

flyover here. we do this in minneapolis. OP just gets his sushi from the grocery store and doesnt understand eating extra fatty tuna on red vinegar rice.

>chef puts what he thinks is the right amount of sauce
>he doesn't know his customers palettes
>gets highly offended they don't share his own tastes

peel it and put the whole thing on a piece of sushi and much away

ginger tastes gross as fuck though

spot on you finna cleanse that palate user

This is one of these things were you are "not supposed to do it because its against tradition".., but seriously wtf. How stubborn can you be? What if i genuinly like to do it? What if i really really like the taste of those 2 things mixed together? Also, how does the sushi chef know how the degree of spicyness i am used to? (because the "right" amount is highly subjective to the individual) Saying stuff like this is comparable to some old Italian man ranting that we are not allowed to put the sausage we like on a pizza, because thats not how his mother used to make it.

Ye you're supposed to eat it between sushi. Thing is, apparently, super fresh ginger really doesnt taste sharp or strong, or so ive been told.. Never actually had it in practice though, its always kinda bordering between ok and too strong to actually really enjoy it.

I actually do this because I like the flavor. Fuck you and fuck eating sushi proper.

>hat it's proper etiquette to eat sushi with your fingers but every time I do it people stare. Why?
its only etiquette to eat sushi that has the seaweed on the outside with ur fingers. so ur half wrong

whay the fuck are the japanese such faggy bitches about sushi?

It's raw fish don't pay any attention to nipnog culture

>try to talk to sushi chef about Japan
>he says he's from Korea
>Tell him i sympathise with the plight of comfort women
>(oh shit why did i say that)
>He just looks at me with hatred and goes 'ok'

Do people not do this normally

dumb frogposter

That's so autistic I can see it happen in real life.

wtf japs pour mayo over everything. are there really people who say the chinks dont like it?

It's mostly because there's wasabi already in the sushi and you're adding more before tasting it. It's similar to taste the food before you add more seasoning/salt to your meal. It's an insult to the chef who add the "perfect" amount before hand.

Curry

That's how I do it :D

>guy eats pizza weird
>lol look at this dumb posh asshole

>guy eats sushi weird
>he paid for it why the fuck do you care

it's old pasta, but it might be.

>paying per piece
>not getting all-you-can-eat and only paying for the take-away
Are you brain damaged?

>be 14
>eating sushi for the first time
>"what's this wet, smelly, ham in a jar for?"
>eat some
>"mate, that's pickled ginger"
>mfw

Guess how I know you've never been to Japan

He's never been fingered by an octopus?

I would fuck a fresh young ginger doggy style

>It's mostly just a pretentious foodie meme, like how some fancy restaurants do not have salt and pepper shakers on the table because the food is supposed to be seasoned correctly already.
You summed it up exactly. Your only mistake was substituting the word "pretentious" for upscale. Here's the deal: in a place that's trying to please everyone, including picky eaters and people who expect to pour condiments all over everything they make the food so it will work either way. Kind of like Arby's, or any place where you get chicken nuggets and fries and the dipping sauce makes the meal. But in a good sushi joint the guy who chose ant cut the fish for you decided how much in the way of condiments it needed before he made the onigiri or roll. If it's a good place he does know better than you. So go with it. Or just go to less good places where no one knows what the fuck they're doing so no one cares what you do. Your choice. I generally don't trust the fish at places where they're not totally anal about it because you are eating it raw.

Here's the non-meme answer: it's okay to mix wasabi and soy sauce in most non-Japanese restaurants. They usually don't put wasabi in the nigiri to avoid customers complaining about it.
In Japan, lower-end and casual places are the same; you can mix wasabi and soy. High-end should not add wasabi, unless they offer to grind fresh wasabi right in front of you.

Don't listen to the haters in this thread OP.

If the owner of the Japanese AYCE joint is Chinese or Korean, then there is no obligation to follow any sort of protocol.

Go ahead and mix the fake wasabi with soy sauce that is offered.

On the other hand, if you ever get a chance to eat the real wasabi, then it would be a bad idea to mix real wasabi with soy sauce since Real Wasabi doesn't really affect your nose like Fake Wasabi aka Horseradish.

Real Wasabi has more of a slight sweet flavor and it expires in around 30 to 40 minutes since Real Wasabi oxidizes very fast.

That's why real wasabi is expensive. It spoils really fast when exposed to air. The plant also demands a lot of water which is why wasabi farms in Japan are located near rivers.

with a folk

I'm retarded, what's AYCE?

i've seen a note saying not to do that in several places

yes, people actually do that and it's common

You can brush with ginger, but only with sushi you cannot dab without touching the rice or falling apart, excluding rolls. One example would be the roes.

damn right

>be careful not to breathe through your nose
fuck you i want a soy sauce and sushi flavored candle

>without touching the rice

>"Nice of the Princess to invite us over for some sushi, eh, Luigi?"

The sauce shouldn't touch the rice; it'll soak up too much, and become soggy and salty. Put your index and middle finger beneath the rice while placing thumb over the fish. Flip over and gently dab the fish side onto the sauce; do not slather and soak, and avoid putting the rice into the sauce.

All You Can Eat.

What the fuck, I would not trust the quality of any buffet place, espcially a buffet for sushi.

japanese do it too. go to any kaiten sushi joint in japan. there s a different 'etiquette' the higher class restaurant you go to. typically do it the 'proper' way so they don't offend the chef more then for the taste.

some ayce places don't serve sashimi because the rice on nigiri fills you up.

insert benis

Make ginger coke. Can cure cold. Google for detail.

Ginger also helps calm your stomach if seafood makes you feel uneasy

what if you like salty rice?

Happens all the time you just need to find a quality Sushi place. I'm not saying I entirely agree with this asshole's judgement of how others eat fucking food but they're not wrong about certain chefs using the right amount of ingredients to make good food.

i unashamedly mix the wasabi, soy sauce and ginger together

my favorite part is drinking whats left after the meal

admittedly i only eat shit-tier sushi cos poor

imo the key is to try one piece of sushi without putting literally anything on it at all and if it's bland trash as is usually served at sushi places in the west then you wasabi up your soy sauce. if your fancy roll has actual fish in it and isn't mostly mayonaise and fake caviar made out of glycerin, then you dont wasabi up your soy sauce. simple.

also adulterating your soy sauce isn't weird. they even sell pre-flavored soy sauce. the asian grocer next to my house has mushroom flavored soy sauce and spicy soy sauce, among the various mundane grades from light to dark