What comes after the Romans?

What comes after the Romans?

The Bible, Aquinas

the muslims

the Byzantines, duh

Jump this shitty suggestion and read the christian works, especially poetry and chants, as well as the first church fathers. Don't forget the heretic works -- again, especially poetry -- that survived the inquisition's destruction.

Does Dante, Milton and Faust come into this part?

Of course, but if you directly read them you basically skip 1100 years of literature.

Thanks heaps. Thinking of going with Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales along with a compilation of early church writings from Penguin to start with.
How will I know if something is heretical? Is that Protestant writings?

The Christians

Plotinus, Augustine, Aquinas, etc.

Are you guys as excited about the coming Rennaisance as I am? After the Romans I read Plutarch's Lives, The Song of Roland, and the Poetic Edda...then Shakeman and Spenser and Tasso

>Beowulf
Holy fuck you chose wrong. Skip that garbage and read le Roman de la Rose and the Song of Roland. If you like epic poems, go on with Nibelungenlied and Poem of the Cid. Also, the Canterbury Tales are just a rip-off of Decameron.

>heretical literature
For example The Love Letters of Abelard and Heloise. They were religious but had a sort of affair. Another heretical author is Gottschalk.
I haven't read Ludus de Antichristo but it seems to be super cool.
Another book I remember, not heretical but kinda weird, and definitely not categorised under any genre, is Hortulus by Walafrid Strabo. He basically spent an entire long poem talking about the plants and herbs that grew in his courtyard. I can't think of anything more medieval than this desu

300 trojans

Don't leave out Ariosto

>tfw you will never have this unilateral a view of history

You're better than them, mate.

Fantastic list, thanks

Late-empire neoplatonism. Many of the roots of Jewish/Arab philosophy are there.

The Ottomans

The italians

The Corinthians

Medieval lit in early variants of the romance languages.

1 Corinthians