Blood meridian

This book was absolutely the biggest waste of time I have had reading fiction in my 50 years as an avid reader. It is verbose, aimless and pretentious. Does McCarthy spend most of his waking life looking for obscure words to dazzle us by? Some are not even available in the dictionary. How obtuse. I can't believe he was awarded the Pulitzer prize. I will admit that occasionally there were passages of good writing (few and far between), but to compare him to Melville and Faulkner is an insult.

An overly cerebral and extravagantly nebulous account of a warped and sinister group of men wandering around the southwest creating mayhem

>An overly cerebral
found the problem

T. Mcarthapologist

>This book was absolutely the biggest waste of time I have had reading fiction in my 50 years as an avid reader.

durrr I am over half a century old and still opt for overly dramatic hyperbole like a little neville durrrrrrrrrrr

fuck off

OP your reading comprehension will get better in several years-- and you will pick this book back up, just to see--- you'll flip to a random page, and stumble on a line of gorgeous prose. You'll flip to another page--- same thing.

then you'll feel so embarrassed about this post. people only get angry at books that are above their comprehension. (hence why all of Veeky Forums despises poetry)

the whole point of literature is language. if you don't like words just watch TV instead and leave this place.

stick to your video games, virgin

I can literally not recall a single obscure word being used

im just going to open up to a random page and i guarantee i'll find one

alright, page 205
vidette

what the fuck even

>(hence why all of Veeky Forums despises poetry)

C I T A T I O N N E E D E D

>a word describing a sentry in a book about two factions at war with eachother
Wow how terrible

it means you're a pleb who isn't interested in expanding his vocabulary

try reading BotNS, then complain about esoteric language

>why do all of these critically-lauded books that I attempt to read keep trying to extend my vocabulary?? this is outrageous!

stop reading any time

What's BotNS?

Waaaa dis book was harddd

Please neck yourself

If you can't read big words,or have a painfully limited vocabulary, he has other books that you can understand.

a catholic scifi/fantasy tetralogy that i just started where the author takes great pains to not make a word up, but instead derives meaning from lots of dead languages (though, thankfully, mostly greco-roman). it's memed on Veeky Forums by /sffg/ as THE scifi-fantasy book to draw near to literary fiction.

the way i've read it, it must be written by a thomist.
>tl;dr Book of the New Sun

i've heard it's the Ulysses of Sci Fi!

Degenerates. Gold seekers, bleeding west like some helitropic plague

What I really lovedabout Blood Meridian was the way Cormac reflected the bleakness of the story with the bleakness of the language. As he kept describing the characters riding on and spitting through endless bleak landscapes, I too felt like I was slogging through a bleak landscape of prose, my mind barely being able to hold interest and my soul being drained like a man being chased by comanches in the Texas mountains. Si, un buen trabajo de literatura.

Oh, of course. No thanks.

That wasn't me. The languages part sounds interesting, and I'll give it a look.