Do you prefer first person perspective or third person perspective in literature? What is your reason...

Do you prefer first person perspective or third person perspective in literature? What is your reason? Are there any particular reoccurring themes, tropes, quirks, or styles you dislike in these points of view?

I personally don't like using contractions in third person PoV because it makes prose look strange to me, especially if it's the writing is dealing with serious topics.

Pic unrelated.

God I love that cat.

primo pic op

as for the q, depends of course ;^)

I prefer third person past tense for "serious" literature and first person present tense for "plebeian" literature. If I'm reading a serious work, I want to focus on character development/ideas explored by the book and not the plot, so I don't want an unreliable narrator getting in the way, while if I read pleb fiction it's going to be for the emotional impact, which first person present tense is easier to resonate with.

I'd argue they're mostly the same. Everything you can do in 1st person you could do in 3rd, and it's easy to use both 1st and 3rd in the same story. 3rd person seems like it would be easier since you are not limited to the perspective of one person but also have a higher skill limit since intertwining multiple character
perspectives brilliantly is very difficult, but when pulled off can be utterly amazing and intrinsically much more diverse and immersive than a 1st person story could ever be, but this only applies to the highest level of writing.

I guess it comes down to subjective preference.

OP brought up contractions, so I'll go with that. I can't stand dialogue which doesn't use contractions when they would realistically be used. "I am out of money," something like that. It reads like a machine is talking.

Unreliable 3rd person narrator is the patrician choice.

I don't read anything written in first person anymore unless it's old and equate the style with childishness on the author's part. First person is for kids.

dismissing an entire narrative perspective is childish

Defending juvenile literary styles is more childish.

It's exactly the opposite. When you're a child you read shitty fantasy and YA novels always written in third person. Third person is for normies, first person is for the thinking man. Third person is standard, first person is avant-garde. It's always been like this.
>inb4 b-but muh Pynchon muh DFW
Simple exceptions. Dante's masterpiece is a masterpiece precisely because, amongst other reason, it's written in first person. If you don't rappel down into the narrative, you're just pretentious, lying or comforming with the market.

The truly patrician choice is to switch between both tenses and PoVs routinely to make your prose as jarringly inconsistent as possible. And yes, I've read a book that does this.

As for my actual answer. 3rd person, but with very clear distinctions for whose head your in at the time. It bugs me when a single passage tells you what multiple people are thinking on a serious plot point, rather than taking the time to explore their motivations individually.

>The truly patrician choice is to switch between both tenses and PoVs routinely to make your prose as jarringly inconsistent as possible.

Don't forget to write in an unclear way so that the reader can't always tell which POV you're writing from and when the switches happen.

Prosefags --> Third person
Patrician sensitive artist --> First person

Sorry, but you're wrong. No one serious about literary endeavors should be writing in first person after grade school unless their goal is to appeal to children. There are few exceptions to this rule.

>DUDE I'M SO POSTMODERN LMAO

If it's not unnecessarily difficult to read, it's not a good novel.

2nd person. I only read adventure books and cult recruiting literature.

YOU are wrong, my dude. Explain to me why Dante and Proust wrote in first person while adventure books, YA novels, detective stories, fantasy novels and your shitty novella are written in third person. I'll wait.

That argument is reductive, seeing as plenty of YA novels also use first person. See the entirety of the Zombie Survival genre for examples.

I won't pretend to know whether YA/trash is a majority of one or the other, but I'd wager neither had a clear, overwhelming majority.

Reading visual novels made me prefer first person; most are written in that perspective.

Proust? Pft.

Now, try to listen, bud. I said I there's an exception for older books, and nowhere did I indicate that if ___-style book is written in third person that automatically makes it *less* childish. I said first person is for kids, which it is.

Not paying attention and making inapt assumptions would appear to be proof that you represent the aforementioned childishness and are butthurt about the truth of the juvenile literary style you're attempting to defend itt.

DELET THIS

Pathetic. You're the first one acting like a child, since you clearly aspire to write a novel along the lines of your favorite authors, all of which wrote in third person, so you also want to write in third person. Reductive perspective, I'd say. On the contrary, I don't aim to write a novel, so I can give an impartial opinion, which is that first person is more effective and throws you into the narrative, so that you get involved and exposed to the author's thought (but the other way around is valid too, since the author exposes the true himself to your thought). Third person is most of the time a fireplace-tier storytelling, as if the writer was my grandfather. No, thanks.

Well, anyway, if you're a pomofag fanatic and you enjoy stuff like (dude unreliability lmao) just for the sake of it we're done, don't even bother replying.

>Do you prefer first person perspective or third person perspective in literature?

doesn't matter.

i don't care for first person. much more difficult to immerse myself.

You've been cucked hard

I say:
>stop making assumptions
He says:
>you clearly aspire...
>your favorite authors...
>you also want to write...

No, I said people who write in first person after grade school are innately childish because first person is a literary style for children.

And I think you've proved my point. First person is an introductory method to writing and the go-to for selfish, immature, and emotionally underdeveloped authors whose readers tend to exhibit the same qualities.

First person makes it easier for me.

Sure are mature the pseuds who read pomo novels because muh unreliability!

Almost all YA novels are written in 1st person and they have been for like two decades now.