Comic is an often overlooked yet perfectly valid medium still at a very early stage of development

Comic is an often overlooked yet perfectly valid medium still at a very early stage of development.

Post some of your favourite novels/authors (keep it Veeky Forums related) and I'll make recomendations based on them.

Other urls found in this thread:

users.clas.ufl.edu/burt/filmphilology/heideggerworkofart.pdf
speedtomy8.imgur.com/
stationsvakt.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Garbage Jewish medium

bump

Should I buy Maus

what's a clowe?

It's an extremely important title in the development of comic. Whether you buy it or not is up to you, but you should definitely read it. Ideally it should be read along with the the monographic MetaMaus, to get a full insight of everything regarding the making of the book.

I'm in complete agreement - like any other medium, it needs to be evalued by its own ideal and characteristics and not as a degeneration of something else entirely. Defaming it as non-literary is pointless.

Let's see what you've got for me user -

>Carlos Castaneda
>Terry Pratchett
>Giorgio Manganelli
>Spinoza
>Gilles Deleuze
>Antonin Artaud

>Carlos Castaneda: Nagual by Diniz Conefrey
>Terry Pratchett: anything by Joe Daly and Glen Baxter's vignettes.
>Spinoza: Anything by Chester Brown (start with Mary Wept Over the Feet of Jesus)
>Gilles Deleuze: Here by Richard McGuire. Travel by Yuichi Yokoyama.
>Antonin Artaud: Baudoin (Le portrait, Terrains Vagues, Piero... pretty much any solo Baudoin)

Damn, apologies for all that greentext.

Also, not all of those have been translated to English. I hope you're learning French already.

then maybe you should go post in the fucking comics board instead of spreading this garbage here

As someone who reads /co/ a lot, there's nothing there for people who want to discuss comic as a literary medium. It's nonstop tumblr baiting over diversity and garbage superhero comics. You can talk about artists on /coo/, though, weirdly.

Ah, thanks! Didn't expect something so comprehensive - I'll check out with I can, especially when it comes to the limitations of language. Would've sworn I'd have been recc'd something written by Jodorowsy for putting Castaneda on there.

Apart from the fact that I'm not OP, I don't see any harm in a thread that tries to bridge the gap between these media (especially when you get more interesting recommendations than legitimately expected). Also, this may help a more equanimous appreciation of kinds of cultural productions - users.clas.ufl.edu/burt/filmphilology/heideggerworkofart.pdf

I invite you to read any of these, most are available at LibGen. Come back here when you have a point.

>I'd have been recc'd something written by Jodorowsy for putting Castaneda on there.

Only that I recommend good authors only. So better profit before mods close this up.

Clarice Lispecter
Italo Calvino
Woolf
Sigrid Unset
Borges

Hey OP, you seem to know a lot of comics books. Can you recommend anything like this?

I know you said you would make recommendations based on Veeky Forums authors, but I really like this "graphic novel", or whatever you wanna call it, and I've never found anything like it, I find the way he blends text and drawing is mesmerizing. Can you help me?

Yeah it's good. Spiegelman has described his work as more like a system of calligraphy than of illustration.

It's very poetic.

>Italo Calvino
The Crackle of the Frost by Mattotti and Zentner. Also check out the first three or so volumes of Cities of the Fantastic by Peeters and Schuiten.

>Woolf
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel

>Borges
The Man in Blue by Breccia and Trillo.

Thompson pretty much rips-off David Beauchard's (David B.) style.

If you want a bland coming of age story about an effeminate hayseed, I'm afraid I won't be able to help you there.

Don Quixote, The Iliad, Pinecone

For the purposes of this thread, are certain manga considered as comics? I'm talking about Suehiro Maruo and Junji Ito.

Breccia is incredible. By the way, you read many Italian comics? One of the few exports we can be proud of.

Thank you very much.

Francis Bacon's Tryptichs for all three of those. Honest.

Yeah, I agree that the story and characters were unimaginative, what I really liked was the delivery of it. I'll check this David B. that you mentioned. Thanks.

Manga is just Japanese comic, isn't it? It definitely qualifies. Full of shit like American comic, but there are many names worth checking out. I've actually mentioned a manga author already, here Maruo and Ito go from interesting to obnoxious to me. Several of other nips more worthwhile.

Are you accounting Breccia as Italian?

Samuel Beckett, Flann O'Brien. During my brief manga phase I liked Iou Kuroda's stuff.

Who would you say is better as a Japanese author? I'll admit my personal bias to surrealism and hyperviolence, I'm not very learned in the classics.

Any way no, of course. The name, being also a word in Italian, put me in mind to start a conversation about my corner of the world.
Speaking of which, you may like Officina Infernale and Professor Bad Trip.

Check out Bardin the Superrealist by Max.
Jimmy Corrigan by Chris Ware.
Breakdowns and Be a Nose by Spiegelman.

Are you talking about movies?

I think he just saw Maus and kneejerked by pure brain stem reaction

Better as in most important, Osamu Tezuka. Followed by Yoshihiro Tatsumi, I guess.

I personally prefer authors like Jiro Taniguchi, Yoshiharu Tsuge, Kiriko Nananan...
You might actually like Tsuge, so check this out speedtomy8.imgur.com/

>go to /co/ for esoteric comics
>full of juvenile capeshit
>closest you get would be Image comics
>written by a conclave of pseudo-intellectual college grads that write alternative capeshit
>go to Veeky Forums
>has more threads on the niche portion of the medium
Same goes for who supplies what between the local bookstore and comic book store. What gives?

Hal Foster's Prince Valiant is great, especially the huge reprint from Fantagraphics with the correct size and colors. Every panel is basically a golden age illustration.

Agree. Old time comic is full of outstanding draftsmen. That was before Hergé's "clear line" appeared.

I guess it's ""essential"" but it's not drawn very well. And I mean that both in terms of the draughtsmanship as well as visual story-telling and graphic layout. The story and Spiegelman's relationship with his dead is kind of interesting but I feel it gets a free pass because muh holocaust. Compare and contrast with some Will Eisner comics where impactful images carry the story, instead of just being a backdrop for characters to speak to eachother.

Here's a comic that freaked me out a lot as a kid but is a bit of an object of fascination for me. I've collected a number of the albums. Originally it ran in the 70s and 80s and was informed by high contrast film-noir imagery and post '68 left social realism. But it was also a boys' adventure comic. Reprints would run in 'The Phantom' an adventure comicbook that would run a lot of different stuff from their archive as well as some top notch European and occasional American comics (Blueberry, Thorgal, Corto Maltese, Valerian and Laureline, Jerome K. Jerome Blosch, Alan Moore comics like Tom Strong, etc....)

Where it gets weird is that it's full of homo-erotic and borderline pederastic imagery and very strange encounters with older men and the boys who are the main characters. This kind of escalates over the course of the series. The artwork is pretty stunning. The artist is Rolf Gohs. He'd go on to make a comic about the Children's Crusade of the middle ages.

I think it ran in some German comic magazines in the 70s and 80s as well.

I knew nothing about Rolf Gohs, and this does look interesting. Thank you.

Also, are those personal scans? Do you have the whole thing, perchance?

I bought Joe Sacco's panorama of WW1 at forbidden planet and the old clerk seemed really thankful someone was buying it, 99% of their customers are capeshit consumers

I found these scanned on someone's blog.
stationsvakt. [you know which blog site] .se/2010/11/mystiska-2an.html

I personally haven't scanned any of them because I'm not sure how to do that without damaging the books. If you speak German the comic went under the name Sacho Und Stefan.

>Cr - Cl
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>From [a fomer point in time] to [a latter point in time]

The only thing to reee about is your feeble mind.

What is the graphic novel's greatest contribution to the storied history of homo lit?

Batman.

Fabrice Neaud's Journals.
Blue by Kiriko Nananan.

First ones to pop in my mind.

There's also the anthology No Straight Lines, with stories of varying quality.