What direction does the Sun move in its orbit around the Galaxy?

What direction does the Sun move in its orbit around the Galaxy?

It's a simple question, but I'm having some great difficulty finding a proven answer.

I had thought the Suns orbit was perpendicular to the planetary orbits. That is to say that the Sun travels "South or North" through the galaxy. Yet the best "official" answer I can find (archive.is/QmcmO) states that the Sun orbits the Galaxy on the same plane as Earths orbit. They go so far as to state that the Suns orbit directly crosses the circle of Earths orbit at the point of the Autumn Equinox.

So what is it Veeky Forums? Are we moving South? That's my best guess, but I want evidence proving this on way or the other.

Attached: spiral_solar_system_2_for_web1.jpg (532x343, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

solar-center.stanford.edu/FAQ/Qsolsysspeed.html
imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hvi/uploads/image_file/image_attachment/23863/full_jpg.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm not sure on the answer, but I can tell you that the pic in OP is wrong.

The motion of the Sun through the Galaxy is neither normal to the plane of the ecliptic nor at right angles to that plane.

>solar-center.stanford.edu/FAQ/Qsolsysspeed.html

We're moving in a roughly circular orbit (i.e. our distance from the center of the galaxy doesn't change a lot) but we bob in and out of the plane -- like the edge of a vinyl LP which was left out in the hot sun.

Nearby stars, which approximately share our motion (low relative velocities) have their spin axes oriented randomly. There is no link between galactic-motion and the orbits of their planets (if they have any.)

Incidentally, your illustration looks like one I've seen on web-pages positing that the Sun "tows" the planets in its wake, like the Mach cone of a supersonic jet. If that's where you found it, disregard anything you read there. It's crackpottery.

Attached: Capture.jpg (638x236, 49K)

>crossing the galactic plane

Would this the zero point energy in the region around the solar system?
Did we cross the galactic plane on Dec 21, 2012, the Mayan calendar end day?

*Would this change

No and no

zero point energy is the energy left over in empty space when you take all other kinds of energy away, so it's the same everywhere

This, what can change is entering and leaving gas clouds, which dampen ambient radiation, I think.

>gas clouds in a vacuum

Attached: gas_in_vaccum.png (1245x650, 1.57M)

>artist's rendition

imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hvi/uploads/image_file/image_attachment/23863/full_jpg.jpg

>photograph

Attached: full_jpg.jpg (3964x4224, 3.08M)

lel Nigger, go look up the map of the Local Bubble.

Not a photo cretins open your eyes, off this board now fantasists.

The Stanford link (in the post you're asking about) says we crossed the galactic plane about two million years ago.
The Mayans were a trifle off.

Incidentally, the "center of the galactic plane" is only an abstraction. Just means there's as many stars "above" as "below". Nothing happens there. There's no signpost. The location and time can only be computed to some degree of approximation.

It's a unreal as "the edge of the Galaxy". If you ever saw the first episode (not counting the pilot) of the Original Star Trek, the Enterprise crosses an "energy barrier" at the rim. There's no such barrier and no rim. The stars just become increasingly far apart. It's gradual.

literally pieced together using data, it's a guess at what it looks like

and this should be impossible because?

yes, pieced together from data describing the photons that hit the detector from that direction, pieced together in a visible form, commonly called an "image"

Gases equilibrate in a vacuum, impossible to remain in any shape.

Stars are made of what?

Plasma

and who says that they're not equilibriating? you do realize that the structures are light years big, right?

They'd never end up as a "cloud" in the first place, impossible.

>arguing semantics
holy shit, kill yourself

there are plenty of interstellar clouds, and tons of pictures of them
and they do not emit any visible light, but the electromagnetic spectrum is much bigger than just visible light, maybe you should do some fucking research you imbecile

All I need to know is that gas clouds cannot exist in a vacuum. And if they did actually exist, they would also emit visible light.

you're very wrong on both your shit points
our sun and every single star formed from collapsing gas clouds due to gravity
gravity is also what keeps gas clouds together in a vacuum

>our sun and every single star formed from collapsing gas clouds due to gravity

Wonderful imagination you have there. So you're telling me that gas clouds "collapse" in a vacuum? That means absolutely nothing.

Gravity keeps gas clouds together in a vacuum? Earth's gravity can't even stop a helium balloon from floating away, what and earth do you think gravity can do in a vacuum?

>Earth's gravity can't even stop a helium balloon from floating away
holy shit, you are an imbecile
helium balloons float up because they are less dense than our fucking atmosphere you moron
kill yourself this instant, please

>do the planets orbit in aproximately the same plane as the sun orbits through the galaxy
yes. disks are stable structures that allow for harmonics and minimizes collisions.

If you had some huge fucking commet rip through Saturn's rings causing major disruption, the rings would reform roughly in about 2 (earth) years.

Kek. And what happens to a helium balloon in a vacuum?

you should really use a tripcode, or a name
you're a fucking moron that can't even grasp the basics of physics, i'd rather talk with a worm

>There's no such barrier and no rim. The stars just become increasingly far apart. It's gradual.
There is are terminal shock layers in the heliopsphere where plasma densities of the solar and intragalactic winds vary by orders of magnitude. The Milky Way is a solitary galaxy so our terminus is less interesting compared to more active galactic clusters. But the situation is more interesting than you suggest.

Especially if you're considering the parts on the edge of the galactic disk where dark matter densities are much higher than matter densities.

Attached: heliosphere.jpg (474x319, 23K)

>plasma
Which would be an ionized gas. You neglect gravity

Current physics is retarded so no wonder you think you grasp it. I bet you wear t-shirts like pic related.

Attached: image_cometothenerdside_black2_49.png_resize_600x600_0a83270b-485f-459e-8579-5c7d24ffa4ba_590x[1].pn (590x590, 185K)

Plasma is high energy and ionized gas, dumbass.

No brainlet, its electromagnetic.

They literally do emit visible light, especially the high energy clouds that also emitt x-rays. The majority of "star forming" nebulae have to be cool enough to collapse and have lower temperature emissions except where they are adjacent to newly formed stars where they're lit the fuck up and both reflect and absorb visible light.

yes, true, i was wrong there

gif is from this guys website

The Sun travels South basically, offset at an angle of 30 degrees to the Solar plane, of which Earth's axis is tilted back towards center 23 degrees. So The Sun moving about 6 degrees away from due South in its galactic orbit. This may change as the Sun "bobs" high and low, in and out, relative to the Galactic core.

Attached: solar_system_motion.gif (512x288, 3.56M)

Kek, the stars would make far different movements if that bullshit was real.

You do realise that the revolution around the galaxy is orders of magnitude slower than the revolution of the planets around the sun, right?
Most likely not.

Individual stars expel wind. The galaxy doesn't. You can't point to a radius and say "this is the edge". The stars go from being a few lightyears apart to being tens and then hundreds of lightyears apart.

If you take a picture of a galaxy "face on", you see a swirly disk. If you take a longer exposure, the core "burns out" of the image but more stars show at the edge. There is no sharply defined edge, nothing equivalent to a heliopause.
If it happened, there'd be a bright band of radio emissions encircling that galaxy. There's not. You just don't realize the scale of what you're seeing.

"at the edge where dark matter densities much higher than matter densities" is nonsense. DM doesn't interact with baryonic matter except gravitationally. There may be a lot of dark matter in toto but it doesn't seem to clump to form obstacles to the flow of intergalactic gas (such as there is.)

If you disagree, please cite articles. Anything that says "electric universe" doesn't count. This board is supposed to be Veeky Forums, not /x/.

Yes brainlet I'm aware of that weak excuse. The stars would still measurably change. Not to mention that other stars/galaxies are supposed to be moving too? What a clusterfuck.

see it's the precession of the equinox

>The precession of the equinoxes refers to the observable phenomena of the rotation of the heavens, a cycle which spans a period of (approximately) 25,920 years, over which time the constellations appear to slowly rotate around the earth, taking turns at rising behind the rising sun on the vernal equinox.

The stars rotate around us, it's not the fucking earth spinning that's incredibly retarded.

>The stars would still measurably change.
They do measurably change, over long periods of time.

Oh you're a troll.

>literally pieced together using data
That is literally what a camera is. Your brain also literally pieces together data collected by your two eyeballs, does that mean everything you see with both eyes open is fake because it is a combination of two separate images?

so not only does the sun orbit the galactic plane in a 60 degree tilt, it also orbits far off center ?
wut the fuck we are freaks
is the galatic plane way overstated ?
how the hell are we in an orbiting arm if that bullshit pic is correct ?

dont believe this> >pic related

Attached: sun orbiting milky way.png (1907x452, 156K)

Everything around us is doing the same.

230 million years is a lot slower

photoshopped combo colors added probably 1,000 pics or more and plenty of added ideation from "theoretical data"

Attached: hubble is pathetic.png (546x347, 245K)

yeah it's a bullshit site

look at the truth idiot

The planets mostly appear with the Milky Way in the background. So the ecliptic -- the plane of the planets' orbits -- is roughly in the same plane as the disk of the galaxy.

The background of your pic is of a planet, the foreground is of the eagle nebula. The nebula is far larger than the planet, which is why its images appears sharp and bright while the planet appears dim and pixelated.

The nebula is colored to reveal data gathered by instruments that can see frequencies of light outside the visible spectrum. This is so humans can see and understand the structure of the nebula instead of just the bright stars around the nebula like we would see with the naked eye. This is not theoretical data, but hard data, just like any other image of light outside of the visible spectrum that is falsely colored.

Attached: 20140816_stp503.jpg (595x335, 36K)

best solar system model

>What direction does the Sun move in its orbit around the Galaxy?
The solar apex is roughly towards the constellation Hercules. The general direction is most easily found with the naked eye by looking for the bright star Vega, going a bit south. For us in the northern hemisphere, Vega rises in the NE around 10PM this month.

There is no relationship between the ecliptic and the galactic plane. Pic related. Just after sunset, the Milky Way is the blue band, the ecliptic is the red band. They more nearly perpendicular.

Attached: Sky.png (635x477, 20K)

In a vacuum chamber on Earth a helium balloon sits on the floor, because there are no denser gases to push it up.

In space it will be attracted to the strongest gravitational well it is affected by.

lmao you are an idiot
it's composited photoshop from crap
just like the bigger portion of my pic shows

you can literally see the direction senpai , just go outside at night

THE SUN thus us, stays within the general plane of the milky way
it's fun for fuckheads to fuck with everyone's dull minds though...

100,000 light years across - the milky way
sun/earth just up or down 60-250 light years off the milky plane

100,000 across vs 155 average up or down

this is a disc where the sun/earth is so in line with it you could even feel or see the bump with the naked finger or eye to scale

jeezus christ, for all practical purposes it's a perfect rotation in exact alignment with the galactic plane

Attached: HUBBLE ASSHOLES SHOW OFF.png (1920x1200, 1.13M)

gonna look from the "top" or the "bottom" of the milky way galactic disc ?
"topside" were rotating clockwise
bottom counter
unless you want to call the bottom the top and the top the bottom
we're halway out from center spinning around once every 230 million years

your other question (implied) is ... is are our planetary orbits on the same plane as our milky way galactic spinning arms ?

Do you think these people would have the same level of outrage when they discover that practically every photo they see has similar levels of post production done on them? Talking about photos taken of things on Earth here.

The bigger portion of your pic is a small cropped section of a much larger picture taken by Hubble of the region in near proximity to a single star.

Attached: Fomalhaut_with_Disk_Ring_and_extrasolar_planet_b.jpg (800x534, 175K)

>are our planetary orbits on the same plane as our milky way galactic spinning arms ?

No:

i can only hope they'll all kill themselves from the outrage

lmao your photoshoop

Attached: WRONG.png (480x360, 136K)

the eye of horus
>cia nigger

hey guys what if our ancestors were right and the sun really does orbit the earth but it goes like this
>earth orbits the sun
>sun orbits the milky way
>the milky way orbits the center of the universe
>the earth is the center of the universe
>therefore the sun orbits the earth

>the milky way orbits the center of the universe
this is where you're wrong
the "center of the universe" is everywhere, all points in the universe can be regarded as its perfect center

i'm not talking about a geometric center or a gravitational one but one based upon consciousness itself

ah, so you're talking about bullshit, gotcha

>Your brain also literally pieces together data collected by your two eyeballs, does that mean everything you see with both eyes open is fake because it is a combination of two separate images?
I mean, if you want to get philosophical yes.

and then I saw her, the streaming beauty of Aphrodite in the flesh...

Attached: hubble view before edit.jpg (259x194, 12K)

A helium balloon will explode in a vacuum chamber and the helium would equilibrate equally in all directions with the chamber, gravity has no effect on this (because it's not real).

Get out Spirit Science.

Just use a stronger balloon.

If the balloon explodes, why would the helium spread out equally in all directions within the chamber?
Even if you are using the argument that gravity is just buoyancy then objects falling in a vacuum still makes sense because there is no denser material (gases) to push them up, and this has been demonstrated.
When the helium is the only material in the vacuum chamber there are no denser gases to push it upwards so why would it spread out equally throughout the chamber? It would logically settle on the bottom.

You don't have to start with a fully-inflated balloon. Just enough so when the chamber reaches vacuum, the pressure of the He doesn't exceed the tensile strength of the latex.

And yes, the balloon would sink like feather on the Moon.

WHY TF IS /x/ HERE PRETENDING TO BE SMART. TAKE NOTE THEY ARE TELLING ANYONE WITH SENSE TO VISIT /x/. PLEASE DONT WILLINGLY BECOME FLAT EARTHERS WHO DONT BELIEVE IN GRAVITY OR 9/11

Attached: 1517876118802.jpg (750x723, 73K)