Is getting caught up in minor trivialities and not grasping high level concepts quickly a sign of a brainlet?

Is getting caught up in minor trivialities and not grasping high level concepts quickly a sign of a brainlet?

Attached: E49B545D-5029-49CC-B975-66FE8FCDF176.png (500x700, 191K)

>I don't understand difficult shit within minutes
>I must be a brainlet
Only brainlets think like this.

>I don't investigate the minutiae of my field and instead learn like I'm studying for a test
>this means I am smart

I’m talking when autists like you ask a million questions in class when the professor is just trying to explain a concept.

Then you shoulda said so nigga
One of the first days of abstract algebra there were some people asking a million questions about shit they should have already learned in a fundamentals course. No wonder half the class failed the fucking midterm.

Wait is that implying that they're men trapped in bug bodies. Is that hell?

>learn different moments of inertia of different shapes in statics
>huh this is interesting how did they come up with those equations
>spend an hour computing one for a cone in 3 different ways
>wonder if i could just use the formula for a rod and derive the moment of inertia for a disk/circle using that method
>spend an hour doing that (it worked btw, you actually integrate with respect to mass which is nice)
>do shit in other coordinate systems for a few hours
>4 hours later i've successfully studied for something i will not need for the exam
why do i do this to myself

are you me?

why can't I have a brain like this. All I can ever think about is sex and social validation

If you drop out (like I did) this becomes the best part of physics
pic possibly unrelated

Attached: 2018-03-20_14-37-57.jpg (1920x1080, 393K)

runescape ;_; back when life was so simple and I didn't want to kill myself

Minor trivialities are important for progressing an item beyond its standard state. However, to grasp minor trivialities correctly, one must first understand the whole in a general way.

I think a good example of this is seen in intro chemistry classes. There are the students who can just accept that things are likely how they say and then there's the group who is already complaining "well how do we know that's what an atom looks like if we can't see them? How do we know ______ or _______ when we can't even ______?"

Yes exactly this

this whole thread went that far over your head huh?

you dont have enough experience in real life conversations to understand what op meant by trivialities is what this post told me, you and other fundamentalist academics should be gassed life isnt a classroom

You're both extremely stupid. Such students, due to their youth, are correctly and honestly questioning the received wisdom of what they cannot immdiately understand via their own experiences, or sense-perceptions. To do otherwise is unscientific, or a form of clerisy, like the modern press, or the church.

>getting caught up in minor trivialities
No but it is a sign of autism.
>not grasping high level concepts quickly
Yes.

it's about getting hung up on it and trying to learn bits and pieces on your own
you'll end up really fucking confused at some point because there's a reason it's taught the way it is

not saying i haven't done that all my life and still continue to do it, though

Most of the High Level Concepts are supposed to be skills that you put quality time and effort in to fully master them. Its like playing the guitar, yes there are some things you can learn and understand in a single sitting, but there are skills that will take much investments into to fully understand and hopefully master. You can't just expect to learn how to sweep pick an hour after your first practice session of it.

I think that's where the definition of "high level" concept comes into play. People can look at "high level" and think that it means advanced, but sometimes it just means the overarching higher order concepts that are more broad and sweeping, as opposed to minute details or even complex behaviors.

If this is the case, then it makes sense to gripe about people who spend their time on the details instead of trying to understand the higher order mechanism at play- after all, it's instruction and class time that teaches the high level concepts and then it's applied in practice to reach minute examples.

That is extremely stupid, it's the same logic you hear from flat-earthers.
I'm not saying it's wrong to question things you can't observer with your own senses, but a refusal to learn any more until those questions are answered is stupid.
Using the chemistry example, the model used to represent an atom shouldn't stop you from calculating pH or balancing a chemical equation.
It's not just children, I hear things like that from adults who aren't so much still hung up on the idea, but are just trying to point out what they think is "dumb" to rationalize their failure to learn a topic because they're actually just bad at math.

It might mean you ate inefficient at learning.

Lately I've been getting high level concepts and then revisiting each one to go deeper.

I get high and revisit your mom to go deeper

God no. It's the "trivialities" that ultimately build to an intuitive understanding of any field. Without them, you'd end up like pic related.

Attached: w0mHNwf.jpg (576x1023, 101K)

Fucking Asians, man.

Here is also how brainlets think:
>guy asks my opinion of paper
>95% words, 5% equations.
>read first paragraph
>briefly glance at equations
>don't even read every sentence
>certianly don't make sure to fully comprehend each sentence before moving on the next sentence
>report back: "this paper is shit, why are those words even in there?!?!"

I think the minor trivialities OP referred to would be something like this:

Adam: I unified the theories!
Bob: This isn't "grand" unification.
Adam: I think it's pretty grand
Bob: No! That word is trademarked and you can't use it
Adam: Yeah but I still unified the theories
Bob: Fuck off back to viXra brainlet

I once spent a bunch of my free time during a semester of math making notes on specific cases and trying to unify them, and towards the end of the semester I realized I'd accidentally recreated most of the quadratic formula

>recreated most of the quadratic formula
uh what

like I took existing formulas and stuff I had figured out and meshed a bunch of it together, and it was something along the lines of x = b +- 2ac but a bit more involved, and then I realized I was just piecing together the quadratic formula