Writers of Veeky Forums

Writers of Veeky Forums...

Where do you get your ideas from?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DMpdPrm6Ul4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I need help coming up with ideas for short stories and/or a novel.

>Where do you get your ideas from?

Let John Cleese explain this shit to you.
youtube.com/watch?v=DMpdPrm6Ul4

from reading

do drugs until you hit neurosis and everything will be an idea

from another books, like every other writer in history

music, films, books and life

This

i think words is the key, or some shit.

Pillage older stories

Random posts from Veeky Forums, life experiences and other authors.

Automated writing. Try to write as fast as you can with a single image in your mind. Try it again with a small passage of text. Feed the results into a markov-chain generator. Try transcribing conversation in a very crowded place. Use Oulipo textual construction methods.

Or just read and your brain will literally begin generating ideas. If you are here looking for this kind of advice, I can suppose that you are going to need to be familiar with at least a good portion of the canon before you set out to write something that you want to be proud of.

Life. Shit I see, observations, what ifs, etc.

You put a lot of shit into your head. Academia, entertainment, real experiences.
Academia is good because it helps you formulate things in a non-pseud way.
Entertainment is good because it helps you understand story structure and how to present things, as well as what not to do (either because it's bad or because it's someone else's idea).
Real experiences are good because they're unfiltered -- the other two are other people's ideas, real life stuff is seen through your own perspective.

Then you need to meditate on it. Not literal meditation, I just mean let it brew. You need to spend down time when you're not thinking about anything in particular. You know why so many people have the best ideas when they're trying to sleep? It's because they're emptying their minds; not thinking about lunch of vidya or what Brad told Stacy that Chad heard Myfanwy tricked you into eating while it was still alive. Going for a walk is good for this, or spending time in nature. You don't have to force it, just make sure you have your notebook on you and aren't distracted by the mundanity of life.

>He doesn't have interesting life experiences to draw from.
Never gonna make it. I have enough interesting childhood experiences to make multiple short story collections

Also, just read. Reading the bible alone will provide you with a lot of story ideas, and provide you with deep allusions.

>I take a shit in the toilet and it looks like a fucking fish
>I think "What if a person shat out a live fish? How would that work? How could that work? Why would it happen?"
I toss a lot of garbled word salad into a few online translators, hit up a thesaurus to change every 3rd or 4th repetition of a word, and call on Upwork or 5rr editors to polish it into a cockpole. Send it in to a hundred different professional faggots and one of 'em knows how to turn it into a cocktent, the likes of which his employer turns into a full-blown cockamamie circus via the media.

>And all of a sudden the internet lauds me as the next big hit, half Neal Stephenson and half Thomas Pinchin'

You're welcome OP, because I know you're too much of a faggot to ever understand or thank me.

>and the best bit is it came from a shit

Other art, primarily music and literature, combined with my own life experiences -- especially people I know and things that piss me off.

where's that pic from?

anime