What's the worst thing you've ever read in your life? Not being ironic, but seriously...

What's the worst thing you've ever read in your life? Not being ironic, but seriously. I read some NYT article about how you should read a book you think you are going to hate, and I powered through this whole bad boy gritting my teeth after page 100. There is some validity to the idea of doing that though, as I was kind of in a reading rut and this was so terrible, I was clamoring for my copy of The Recognitions at the end.

I can't even believe people consider this airport fun. I have never read something less fun in my life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yKN6jr4QTUw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm confused about King's success too. When it comes to pulpy pop-Veeky Forums, I at least expect there to be a nice fast paced plot to get into, but too many of his books are just long and slow. They're filled with useless overlong scenes. As a prose stylist or a creator of characters, he's probably not much better than J.K. Rowling, but at least things happen in a Harry Potter book.

People with very simple minds find King's horror (read: trashcan pulp-horror) scary.

I don't fucking understand it

Read 'I am the Doorway'

Careful with that kind of language, you'll get called pretentious but never be disproven, you'll be attacked by plebs and told to provide examples of his inferiority as if his entire bibliography somehow isn't evidence enough.

Occasional reminder that Different Seasons is unironically good.

You can't be proven factually incorrect if what you're stating is subjective, you retard.

The worst thing I have read in my entire life that wasn't a Brandon Sanderson novel has to be Sean Penn's treatment of El Chapo that Rolling Stone published about a year ago.
>pic related

I think The Shining was scary. I really related to Jack, his mounting belief that his family was weight around his neck and his battle with alcoholism.

Knowing that a drink would make everything better and that it will bring everything down around your ears at the same time.

Almost a month sober.

Harry potter 3 (the prisoner of Azerbaijan one)

What the fuck did I just read?

I'm no IT, and you know it, you hate it; I am a human man and furthermore, I am capable. I am intelligent, extremely versatile and resilient. Adaptable to every situation, in every sense of the phrase.

You are merely upset because I am not these things you make me out to be or want me to be. I'm attractive, confident and aware. I will never walk into a trap and will handle all of life's challenges with vigor, and you hate it. You want me to be ugly, you want me to be a failure, you want me to crash and burn, but you know I'm not and it enrages you. After all, I am a mere young man, only 23. Men of your statures, wealth, and positions should be able to handle me without a second thought, but that's not the case.

Dwell on it. I am no IT, but you wish I was.

youtu.be/yKN6jr4QTUw

Its normie horror so its going to be appealing to normies. Never read IT but Pet Cemetery was trash and so was The Shining, especially when you compare it to Kubrick's shining

dude, you're going to drink again. I can tell just by your post.

Just get it out of the way already, drink up until you slam into your rock bottom.

This. I challenge anybody on this board to read this and not enjoy it. Not gonna happen. Same with Green mile

literatioure.

How did King get away with this?

I've read a few of his books. Some are pretty good, some are trash, some are just forgettable. I think his popularity has a lot to do with the movie adaptations and the fact that he has been putting out work annually for the past forty fucking years. I don't think he's anything to get upset or excited over.

Out of what I've read: The Stand and Desperation were great, Needful Things was alright, The Dark Half was so boring I couldn't finish it and The Gunslinger pissed me off.

>Under the dome
November 10, 2009
>Simpsons movie
July 21, 2007

I hate authors who write 1000 page books so I haven't read a King novel. From what I hear that seems to be a good thing

Would you believe that I am also in a location and situation that makes it rather difficult for me to get alcohol? I'm just glad I don't have to support my wife and ghosts aren't real.

People tell me I hate fun when I bad mouth stephen king, but the truth is that I love fun and he is boring as fuck

In the end I realize that for stupid ppl that's the hardest thing they can read. For them it's the same pleasure we get from reading Gaddis. For them Gaddis is impenetrable, thoughts they never even had a hint if. For us King is mediocre.

That's what discussion is. What I should have said was that nobody will be willing to state intelligently what the fuck they mean when they say they think he's good. Just insults and idiotic asides.

You're missing out on a lot of great novels, then. None are written by King, but still....

Hey dude I think was agreeing with you and you autistically called him a retard. I'm not him but I noticed it because I have social awareness, even on a forum. Maybe its more like reading comprehension. Seriously though, read shit before you post lmao

The Jungle was absolute trash. The last hundred pages of what was essentially a communist pamphlet was the most difficult slog of my life.

>worst
The fourth twilight novel. Not memeing, it was just genuinely stupid.
>most grating
Atlas Shrugged

i've said it before, and i'll say it again: sartre's "nausea" is the only book i've stopped reading after the halfway mark. it was such an irredeemable piece of pretense which was all the more disappointing because i tried to give it meaning.

i liked his short story about the people waiting to be executed, and i staged "no exit" as a comedic one-act when i was 13. goddamn, both nausea and being + nothingness are so full of hot air IMHO.

Is Atlas Shrugged really like that? I was thinking about reading it.

I've never read anything genuinely "scary" anyway.

I think King is scariest when the subtler implications of what's going on in the story and has been going on for some time begin to settle in, but moreover, I mostly think of King's stuff as really cool, rather than scary.

IT, The Stand, and the whole Dark Tower series are just awesome. But I find that the latter most series is the scariest.

Loner by Teddy some shit. Bought it cause sometimes I give contemporary novels a shot. So incredibly shitty. In so many ways

his short stories are much, much better than his novels for that reason
he has interesting ideas but draws it out way too long, and in his short stories he's forced to be concise. They're usually not scary but they are interesting

>The fourth twilight novel.
How did you even get there?

Like "what"?
It has no artistic value whatsoever and Rand's philosophy is really basic and primitive.
But I can't say it's not worth reading.
It's important to learn that there are those kind of people too especially considering its meme status.

I'm new to reading in my adult life and have just gotten past 18 books since I started in january (1984, Catch 22, One flew over the cuckoo's nest and that type of stuff) but I thought Pet Sematary was alright until two thirds in. I felt comfortable in the protagonist's everyday life and I enjoyed sharing his comfortable moments with him. The last part was absolutely terrible but if there are other books that he has written that are more like the first half-2/3rds of the book then I can see it clear as day

not everyone has to hit rock before quitting entirely, jesus

Ah. Wow...

Dune. There's no doubt in my mind that author is a fucking hardcore communist. Paul Atreides was the author's self-insert. Only a demented psychopath can think of the idea of killing off most of humanity in order to save humanity is a good plan. I've yet to read a novel that tops this series in sheer lunacy. I've always wondered why this series is popular despite its disturbing content.

> read a nyt article about reading something you think you are going to hate
> nyt
> done

I've been reading this clunker lately, almost to the end, and it's awful. Like, the concept is interesting, the set up is neat, but everything about the execution is just excruciatingly boring. The only other King book I've read was Misery, which I really enjoyed, so I had high hopes for this one too. But nope.

I really liked King as a kid, but I think a lot of it doesn't hold up. The Bachmann books are still pretty good.

I quite liked it on first read. A while later I read just the court monologue again and found it very cringy. Guess I was just in the right mood the first time.

Oh never mind I'm talking about the fountainhead lol

i read the whole thing. first read as a retarded and alienated teen i enjoyed it, it resonated with me. then i got to the 50 page galt monologue and realized it was all bullshit. youll only be able to 'enjoy' it/continue reading it if you are immature enough (as i was) to feel compelled by her philosophy

I see. Is the Fountainhead worth reading?

Why did you hate it? I thought it was alright

for me it's Moby Dick, the worst American novel. the biology chapters about whales were laughably inaccurate and ridiculous. he actually thinks that whales are fish, LMAO

stopped reading at the laptop bit

actors don't tend to make good writers, he should stick to directing

>His bald head demands your attention to his twinkling eyes

The first paragraph is okay because he's simply listing things, but it falls apart so fast.

ideas are not protected by copyright. most creative shit out there is just a rehash of something else anyway, but most authors just hide it better. King is so rich and powerful he probably doesn't give a fuck.

I've tried to read IT several times, but it's a slog. Has got to be the most masturbatory self-indulgence I've ever tried to read. Love the movie, though.

>as a prose stylist
He looks like Cervantes next to DFW

well at least you're developping a solid reading habit and picking up some critical skills as you go along.

read the classics and you'll absorb quality by osmosis - and automatically notice crap when it comes your way.

This is how I have felt about every King novel I have ever attempted to read. I tried pretty much all of them and I have only been able to finish The Gunslinger.