Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

if you were to write a list of poems meant to be taught towards a senior high school poetry class what would you personally include?

The Iliad

Not Turbopseud there for sure

Leaves of grass by Walt Whitman

Try and put as little post war poetry and women who aren't Emily Dickinson

Can I get a justification for that user?

nice edge you got there my friend

the entire 600 page book? user these are high-schoolers

>nice edge

Not that user, but how is that edgy? Are you sure you know what edgy means?

It's around 200 000 words, I had to read Anna Karenina in my 2nd year of high school and it has about 350 000 words. Read The Iliad in 9 days during exam season

>Can I get a justification for that user?

Pound my asshole was the definition of all flash no content. An empty human being if you could even call him one whose entire project was an imitation of poetry.

The Iliad is unironically capeshit tier, stop exalting the work of primitive pagans

he essentially said try not to put any women are emily dickinson

I love how only two poems have been suggested

So you think an average high school class could most likely do it in a month? I have some apprehensions towards that fact

I'm trying to get a few modernists in this list, pound was the first to come to mind. Do you have any alternatives for him?

>Do you have any alternatives for him?

Eliot who was superior to him in everyway, though I'm not a fan.
Personally I think high schoolers would be far better off dealing with the Romantics and Shakespeare before we try to throw them amongst that rabble of goobers.

I've discussed this with other teachers and most have read about all the major Shakespearean plays by the time they've entered my class

I have Don Juan by Byron and Endymion but I'm trying to have a more comprehensive list

>I've discussed this with other teachers and most have read about all the major Shakespearean plays by the time they've entered my class

So fucking read one again then. I was referring to his sonnets anyway.
It sounds like you're more interested in inflating your own ego more than actually teaching literature. Highschoolers don't need nor have the time for a fucking survey course.

An average high school class doesn't give a fuck about poetry. This is an interesting read both for scholars, historians, and even ordinary people. I read it in English which is my second language and I wasn't too familiar with older English (I read Alexander Pope's translation), so I had to look up words all the time. I am not even pursuing a literature or any humanities degree, I'm oriented towards STEM. So yes I think that an average high school class can read this in their native language in a fairly short amount of time.

Something pretty and whimsical for the 'girlies' and artsy types.
Something powerful, dark, 'epic', or sexual for the average guys.
Always have some love and nature.
Then maybe introduce an epic and some Shakespeare.

Perhaps include, besides Shakespeare, some Byron, Whitman, Eliot, Pound, Dickinson, Cummings, Homer/Milton (mostly discussion on excerpts), Gilgamesh (immortality is pretty cool to high-schoolers), Keats, Poe, Frost.

Also Shelly (Ozymandias)

>I'm a High School teacher who wants to LARP like I'm teaching University English
>I can't even come up with my own Canon for teenagers

>Something pretty and whimsical for the 'girlies' and artsy types.
>Something powerful, dark, 'epic', or sexual for the average guys.

You sound like such a greasy autist

Someone doesn't realize what high school is from an adult perspective. How cute. High school kids are sickeningly predictable. If you want them to like something, make it either appeal to them (the artsy and whimsical) or taboo to them (those too cool for literature and poetry). Don't like it, too bad. That's just what it is nowadays.

Nah I just think you're a retard with way too little social experience. I've actually thought teenagers and you have no idea how real people think

No high school assigned literature is taboo to a teenager.

In any case, why would you want to appeal to them? Logically, that would just result in replacing English lit with Youtube studies.

Average guys like Tom Clancy, or something like that. Either that or a comical novel like Catch 22.

Average girls like romance novels that contain darkness, suffering, and sexuality, like Wuthering Heights. Or sometimes a lighter and softer equivalent, like Jane Austen's stuff, which still contains drama.

Your understanding of the sexes is almost backwards.

You strike me as a 19 year old. Adults don't find teenagers to be "sickeningly" predictable, just predictable. There's no element of competitiveness. You are clearly still competing with teenagers.

Last time someone got BTFO this hard on Veeky Forums it was Laurie Penny

>retard with too little social experience
>went to school to teach

Lmao

It was a summer job, what the fuck do you do trip poster?

You're right and you're wrong.

Der Ister by Hölderlin

I grade papers for my professor. In my free time I write and I work at a diner to pay for my rent and bills and schooling.

What do you do?

I overlooked that this thread is about poetry.

Well, let's see.
For average boys like Skylark, I would recommend something simple and not too challenging.
Robert Herrick would no doubt get a few chuckles from the athletic types.
Then maybe Edgar Allen Poe. I think Skylark would really enjoy "The Raven."
To round it out, some free verse from Ezra Pound, the short poems from Personae.

For the girls, John Keats, Emily Dickinson, and maybe Sylvia Plath.

Ouch this post is painful. Especially considering original post in this thread.

Wow didn't know diner wages were able to cover all those expenses. Is a lie a story with the aim of reducing the truth or is it a discrete entity given in addition to the truth?

>caring about trips

It's not worth it user.

What is it, Skylark?

>if you were to write a list of poems meant to be taught towards a senior high school poetry class

I wouldn't, teenagers don't read poetry.

Wilfred Owens war poetry. Stephen Crane poetry. WB Yeats, the later stuff like Byzantium and Second Coming. Stuff with easy language that they can come back to later on.

Just stop dude. It's embarrassing. Cost of living means higher wages in cities.

Cost of living means that expenses are higher in cities.
There's a hint embedded in the phrase: it's the word "cost."
It means price or expense, or to speak your language, it's like when you spend your lawn-mowing money on a rilly big jawbreaker and have less money than before.

If you were intelligent you'd know the marginal increase in the cost of housing/rent is less than the overall increase in wages. Which means people like me can work a diner and make 12$ an hour so to afford rent/board while going to school. This brings me into an entire different category of wages and costs influenced by the local colleges.
Why don't you stop posting on Veeky Forums and pay attention to the important parts of the world. It's easy to not think much of it when you're living with your parents. But wait til you're on your own brother.

Ozymandias, If, Invictus

Beowulf

>Why don't you stop posting on Veeky Forums and pay attention to the important parts of the world.
The important parts of the world aren't "cities" that are only marginally more expensive than the sticks. In fact, I sometimes forget that they exist.

this thread is embarrassing.

op, kids don't give a fuck about poetry.
whitman and shakespeare. that's it. assuming you're american, that's all a high schooler needs to read to benefit at all from poetry, which is more than what they would otherwise.