I heard somewhere (i think it was Zizek) that every nation has an 'unmentionable'...

I heard somewhere (i think it was Zizek) that every nation has an 'unmentionable', an event or period in its history that is never talked about without immense shame. An obvious example is the holocaust with Germany. But what about America? We talk about slavery and Native American atrocities pretty openly, and there's nothing i know about that is known by everyone but mentioned by none besides those two things. What would our country's unmentionable be?

Also general history/historical fiction and tragedy thread

whatever said this meme doesn't know third world countries
we aren't ashamed of anything

Look closely at this image.

there are things in america we dont talk about, like endemic prison rape

but i dont know if there are specific events we avoid

politics is trash

Japanese internment always seems to make people feel uncomfortable whenever it's brought up.

True, also a lot uneducated people have no idea this happened

Actually, Turkey's 'unmentionable' is more likely the Ottoman period of decline. The Armenian Genocide is a volatile topic that has a lot of voice surrounding it, unlike the silence that the truths surrounding the years from 1683 to 1922 bring. No Turk wants to see the economical collapse of the Empire.

The Grenada invasion (1983)
>The invasion was criticized by several countries including Canada. British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher privately disapproved of the mission and the lack of notice she received, but publicly supported the intervention. The United Nations General Assembly, on 2 November 1983 with a vote of 108 to 9, condemned it as "a flagrant violation of international law".
Tuskegee syphilis experiments (1930s to 1970s)
>The purpose of this study was to observe the natural progression of untreated syphilis in rural African-American men in Alabama under the guise of receiving free health care from the United States government.
>To ensure that the men would show up for the possibly dangerous, painful, diagnostic, and non-therapeutic spinal taps, the doctors sent the 400 patients a misleading letter titled "Last Chance for Special Free Treatment". The study also required all participants to undergo an autopsy after death in order to receive funeral benefits. After penicillin was discovered as a cure, researchers continued to deny such treatment to many study participants. Many patients were lied to and given placebo treatments so that researchers could observe the full, long-term progression of the fatal disease.
Guatemala syphilis experiment (1940s)
>While the Tuskegee experiment followed the natural progression of syphilis in those already infected, in Guatemala doctors deliberately infected healthy people with the diseases, some of which can be fatal if untreated. The goal of the study seems to have been to determine the effect of penicillin in the prevention and treatment of venereal diseases. The researchers paid prostitutes infected with syphilis to have sex with prisoners and some subjects were infected by directly inoculating them with the bacterium.
St. Louis chemical agent test (1950s)
>In St. Louis in the mid 1950s, and again a decade later, the army sprayed zinc cadmium sulfide via motorized blowers atop a low-income housing high-rise with three fourths black residents, at schools, from the backs of station wagons, and via planes.

Nigger what the fuck are you talking about? Pretty much every shitty freedom-powered regime that leftists in America get called un-American for bringing up is an unmentionable.

Bay of Pigs invasion, maybe.
Perhaps our sheltering of Nazi and Japanese scientists. Beyond that, I dunno.

Normies don't know about these

>>The purpose of this study was to observe the natural progression of untreated syphilis in rural African-American men in Alabama under the guise of receiving free health care from the United States government.
>>To ensure that the men would show up for the possibly dangerous, painful, diagnostic, and non-therapeutic spinal taps, the doctors sent the 400 patients a misleading letter titled "Last Chance for Special Free Treatment". The study also required all participants to undergo an autopsy after death in order to receive funeral benefits. After penicillin was discovered as a cure, researchers continued to deny such treatment to many study participants. Many patients were lied to and given placebo treatments so that researchers could observe the full, long-term progression of the fatal disease.
This is pretty fucked up. Is there an academic source about this? I would be interested to read more.

Fuckin afghanistan or vietnam

You didn't look closely enough at the image.

When niggers burned multiple cities throughout the land in 1967 after MLK jr got killed and white flight occurred creating the no-go zones of American inner cities

Jelly babies in northern territory
Scalped Chinese during the gold rush
The entire convict Era
Stolen generation... gets some attention but not that much really, especially considering it was only half a century ago

Wikipedia for starters. Other sources linked there

Guess people don't like talking about how we bought the nazi gold and supported the third reich during wwII.

>an obvious example is the holocaust with germany
Your obvious example is trash. People are far from hesitant in discussing it, and they certainly don't do it with "immense shame."

>Jelly babies in northern territory
Never heard of this. I'm guessing it's something to do with the indigenous? Tell me more.

The Grenada invasion (1983)

I'm intrigued, tell me more.

elgoog strikes again