Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=amKyA2PrSu4
youtu.be/eGryWqaZvgY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Marinate with your favorite seasonings
>Grill medium rare
>Let sit for about five minutes
>Consume

That pic a shite. True medium rare should be pink all the way through.
Look up "reverse sear". Or souis vide if you're into that kinda thing.

Pull NY strip out of fridge. Salt both sides heavily and let it sit an hour. Heat up caste iron over medium heat. Make sure it's hot, takes like 10 minutes. Oil into skillet, let it shimmer, add steak. 30 seconds, flip, 30 seconds flip, 1 minute, flip/sear sides, 1 minute, flip.

Add butter, garlic, fresh thyme. Cook another 3 minutes flipping every minute. Remove from heat, add pepper if desired. Let rest a few minutes before eating. pic related.

I'm way too colorblind to tell the difference between any of those steaks
Anyway, melt a ton of butter in a hot cast iron pan and throw a steak on it
Cook like 5ish minutes on one side and then like 4 on the other (depending on thickness)
Season with salt and pepper, or other shit you like
I like to mix warm butter with crushed garlic so I can place a dollop of garlic butter on the steak right before serving
You might be thinking "you cook your steak in butter and then put garlic butter on it after? are you serious"
and the answer is yes fuck you I do whatever I want

youtube.com/watch?v=amKyA2PrSu4

what are my favorite seasonings
I'm a steak noob

kek

/thread

You can do different shit to perfect it, but that is something that you gain with experience and finding out what you like, you may like a smoky steak or you make like a simple salt and pepper steak, but start out with and you'll do just find.

Also meat-wise find a ribeye with nice marbling and a nice lip of fat. The ribeye being thick will also make it better. If you drop $20 on a ribeye there is almost no way to fuck it up.

Also whenever you get pro you can make a Tomahawk ribeye which is ~$50 but is the best steak money can buy, pic related

GL user

I use Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
If a cheaper steak I use tony's or salt lick

BLUE
L
U
E

MINCED GARLIC

Ok real talk, as a shithead who likes his steaks medium and medium well steak, what makes medium rare the optimum steak?

Rib eye cuz all the nice melted fats

This chart is shit. What it claims as blue rare is rare to borderline medium rare.
This chart on the other hand is an accurate representation of how steaks should be cooked based on how you order it. In this situation, rare is the correct answer

It is the proven rawness at which the flavors are at it's peak, you don't order a filet medium or medium well do you? If you do, please just get used to not doing that, it's like eating steak with ketchup, people look at you like you're poor and dumb

Most of the flavor compounds in beef are destroyed by cooking it, so taking a steak past medium makes it more and more bland, until eventually all you're left with is a faint taste of iron. And if you just like the taste of iron, you should be eating liver, not steak.

Medium rare is the point where you've achieved maillard on the surface of the steak but the inside hasn't yet had all the flavor cooked out of it. There's no reason not to eat it at that state other than misplaced squeamishness.

Alright, fair enough. It always just kinda weirded me out since people seem to get up in arms about steak doneness more than the preparation of any other food on the planet.

What's a good method for assessing if a steak is medium rare when cooking it? I always fuck up when I cook steak and it comes out medium well.

You cook your steak however you want it; steak afficionados love rare because they love the taste of steak, and steak tastes most like steak when it's on the rare side.

Frankly, get a meat thermometer. I could tell you how you should test it against the feeling of the meat of your thumb or some old wives tale, but just get a thermometer and cook it to about 135-140F. They're not that expensive, and you should have one anyway. It's getting toward the holidays, and that means you're going to be roasting stuff.

Alright. I actually do have one, though I keep forgetting that I have it.

Any recommendations on cuts to buy? I tend to pan sear mine, but I'm trying to get better at using the shitty grills in my apartment complex.

Rib eye is my personal favorite, strip isn't bad, and I won't turn my nose up at some sirloin either.

Grilling is fun, but don't feel like it's mandatory. Pan searing is a perfectly fine way to cook a steak; especially if you make a simple pan sauce to go with it.

The more you cook them the better you get at getting temps down. And as for seasoning salt and pepper at the start, then garlic, thyme, and butter to finish in the pan. A personal favorite of mine was a blackened strip with a compound butter that had garlic, rosemary, thyme, and parsley on it over a bed of grits

>order medium rare
>steak comes out medium well
>eat it anyways because I dont want to waste valuable meat

Can someone explain why would anyone like to chew on raw meat for 5 minutes before cutting into the rubbery steak for another bite?

I'm still perfecting my steak but here is my recipe:
1. Go to store and get a good steak. I usually get a new york strip with good marbling throughout but no big chunks of fat.
2. Leave steak out on counter to warm up a bit
3. Heat the cast iron skillet on medium to medium low heat, with just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of pan. Exact heat is subject to your pan and stove. You'll need to practice. Delicious delicious practice.
4. Trim off the extra fat around the edges. Sprinkle on a decent dash of salt and a generous amount of fresh ground pepper
5. Once the pan is just smoking hot, add the steak seasoning down. Quickly season the other side
6. Flip every minute and cook for 6-8 minutes depending on thickness of the steak. I usually go for about a medium rare. Adjust cooking times based on your preference, cut of steak, and pan based on experience. Again delicious delicious practice.
7. Take steak off and let rest for 5 minutes

If I'm feeling fancy I top it with some caramelized onions and mushrooms.
1. Dice up an onion, slice some white mushrooms, finely dice some a couple cloves of garlic
2. Add the onions and garlic with some oil to a pan heated to medium-low heat
3. Cook down for a couple minutes. Add the mushrooms, a couple dashes of brown sugar, and raise to medium heat
4. Once the onions start to brown, add a few splashes of balsamic vinegar and raise to medium high heat.
5. Once the liquids cook off, take it off the heat and top the steak with it.

forget pic. Mushrooms weren't perfected in this one. Also check 'em

This is the best graph available. You need to cook the meat enough to kill all the parasites.

eh technically yes, thought properly butchered and refrigerated beef is pretty safe. I've had raw, blue, and rare beef many times with no ill affects.

Rare is the safest way to order it at a restaurant. The best medium rare is better than the best rare, but it's "rare" for restaurants to do medium rare correctly.

Holy fucking checked

Try an aged steak rare, it's like tender sashimi

>calling mushrooms and onions with sugar "caramelized"

leave

This right here. Medium is the perfect ratio of flavour and tenderness.

I also like my steaks photoshopped lmao.

You can always cut the meat while its still on the grill. Im a cook at a local bar/restaraunt. The best thing on our menu is prime rib. Ill make a cut near the middle or near the thickest part of the cut (which we cut it ourselves with a meat slicer, kinda hard to fuck it up.) Ive only had one customer complain about the cut in the middle of their meat and I go out to them and explain its how i check how done the meat is.

Long story short, cut meat, inspect. If its too red/pink, cook it longer. Always better to check sooner than later. You can always cook it longer.

You just cook the onions and mushrooms low and slow in butter you fucking retard

I've never found a steak to get easier to eat with cooking. It's not a pot roast. You're not braising it. The only thing you're doing is driving off moisture and making it dryer and tougher.

There's another thing you're doing when you cook a steak--rendering out the fat, and converting collagen (tough) to gelatin (soft).

This is important because it affects different steaks in different ways. Take a tenderloin or fillet: it has no large chunks of fat and no connective tissue in or on it. It's perfect when cooked rare. Compare to a ribeye, which often has larger pieces of fat in it, some connective tissue, etc. That would be better served cooked medium rare or maybe even medium if it's not of premium quality. A NY strip is mostly homogeneous and delicious rare, but that strip of fat down one side needs some more intense heat on it. I cook strips rare in general, but I give that fatty edge a little extra time on the heat.

I figured this would be the best place to ask this but was Gordon in the right for getting upset over this steak?

youtu.be/eGryWqaZvgY

There's no denying this steak was burnt. After seeing this thread, well-done is far from what i expected it to look like

Why do they call it blue when it is red?

That rare is what I consider medium rare and the blue is what I consider rare.

Gordon was 100% in the right.
Only a fucking nu-male manchild would order well-done steak and it was patently clear in this scenario that the reporter only did it for a talking point he thought would get a rise out of Gordon.
Instead, he got embarrassed and put in his place. Justice.

Are you blind? This is what a professionally well-done steak looks like, Gordon just couldn't justify the fact that his restaurant fucked up so he got mad like a child, as usual

Has anyone been to Gordon's restaurants? Is it even good?

>professionally well-done steak

Get good ribeye
Salt and pepper both sides
let set until room temp
While it sets, prepare grill.
Put steak on over high heat for a minute then flip for another minute, set off to lower heat side until it reaches your preferred doneness.

Protip for dumb /tv/ sheep: he's acting.

I mean yeah I would hate to cook a well done steak from quality meat but if the customer wants their meat like shoeleather I think the chef should oblige.

Hot grill
Nice low fat meat
90 seconds per side, should have added more salt

Honestly, could have cooked it on a floor with heating.

meme face all you want but there is a difference between beef jerky and a well done steak. i dont even like well done shit but stop being retarded

Pick your poison co/ck/s

>take bit of butter and add to pan. Nice and hot.
>season steak generously
>add to pan
>should only flip once
>come out medium-rare with proper sear
>garnish
It's boring, but it works.

obscure boys

Stop buying ghetto beef

This is only true for ground beef.

there is always the possibility of food poisoning, even with thoroughly cooked food

How come on every single one of these comparison images the only variation in the steak is the size of the raw centre between the overcooked sides? Why has somebody who can cook steak properly never made one of these images? Medium rare should be solid pink, not 50% raw 50% grey.

the idiots that eat it past medium have only recently discovered fire, and don't know about sous vide.

Here you go you filthy animal.

I know chefs who regularly talk shit about customers who want steak well done.

Doing a 1lb ribeye tonight, plan on cooking about 30 mins in 250 oven and then finishing off in a skillet

Is there any reason not to get my skillet as hot as I can to do the final sear? Asking because I have an induction cook top that gets hot as fuck and fills my house with smoke, not sure if it's TOO hot

there will be a lot of smoke when searing a steak, and typically you heat the oil until it begins to smoke before searing

No proper cooked

i do the same but i wash the salt off and dry the steak, and turn the heat up to high and then i oil the steak instead of the pan. heat the oven to highest setting.

30 seconds, flip, 30 seconds, pan into oven for 2 1/2 minutes, flip, 2 1/2 more minutes and then done.

Like dis

So, when are you going to cook that?

A lot of effort for a rare to almost blue rare looking steak.

Cast Iron Boyz

well done with sriracha on the side

praise jesus another reasonable person is out there
were going to make it user

The only people I know who eat well done would say say that isnt even close to done enough

Fuck food poisoning,i don't want my steak cooked to the consistency of boot leather.

>buy an Inkbird temperature controller (picture related)
>plug in a crock pot
>add water and heat to 130 degrees
>seal steak in a ziplock bag
>suck out air with a straw
>put it in the hot water for an hour
>fire up your cast iron or stainless pan with a little oil until it starts to smoke
>cook your steak for 30 seconds on each side
>serve, no resting required
If you've got a crock pot and a good pan already all it costs is $35 for the temperature controller. I am HORRIBLE at cooking steak and even I can't fuck this up.

The only way

Patrician. Gonna make me sum 2day

hot take: there is only one correct way to cook a steak (well seared medium rare)

preferences in 'doneness' are just an expression of latent autism

>Not golden seared and blue
Found the bitchnigga

case in point

>Bitchnigga evasion tactics

raw

Yeah, but it taste gud

Well done.

With ketchup.

Fuck you.

you can eat fresh beef raw.

pork's the one with the parasite

That's a proper looking steak

cast iron + induction is the cheapest way to get consistently perfect steak

Dude why did you over cook it?

Quality post user. Thank you

Jesus Christ I could use that as a sandal

British cuisine EVERBODY

I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious.

After nine years, you know what I realize?

SEETHING

>10/10 would dine well.
Everything else is too well done.

add some green bell peppers to the mushroom and onions for 11/10 meal

>sous vide

Yea or nay?

You might as well have a burger.

OP it's simple. Don't over think it. Just go with the simplicity. Let your steak come to room temp. Cover liberally with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Pre heat oven to 425. Put cast iron skillet on stove hot as hellfire. When the pan is hot put steak on. Let sear 2 minutes on both sides then place 1 tablespoon of butter onto steak and place the pan in pre heated oven for 3 to 4 minutes for perfect medium rare. Remove from oven and let rest on cutting board 5 minutes and then serve. Wa la. Perfect steak every time.