Tfw the reason you want to be a writer is because of your pathological fear of being forgotten...

>tfw the reason you want to be a writer is because of your pathological fear of being forgotten, but you realize it's hopeless as you know you have to compete with the likes of Shakespeare, Milton, and Virgil for true immortality.

books for this feel?

It's just the creative outlet I'm best at and am most practised at because of relentless shitposting.

It's pretty much impossible to do anything of note creatively. Maybe, if I'm lucky, some of my ideas will get absorbed into the literary canon even if my name doesn't.

oh so that explains rhe sound and the fury and the narration of a retard. that faulkner guy was pretty clever, but all on a single shakespeare line?

I write because I want to.

Oh, you would have invented literature all on your own?

>tfw you want to be forgotten as soon as you die since being content in an utterly unremarkable life is the surest way to A U T H E N T I C I T Y and this helps justify your lack of ability to write.

Here is the writer. Don't write for cash, don't write for posterity. Write for writing. The words should be the end, in and of themselves.

everyone will be forgotten eventually, who gives a shit

Not really. I make music for that very reason though.

Started out that way, but now I aspire to it just because its a useful and pleaaurable occupation.

Even diamonds erode.

/thread

if college professors get their way, all those guys will be forgotten in 20 years

Amadeus

All the professors in the world can't get them out of my head. They can try. They won't.

>pathological fear of being forgotten
Well, normally young men learn to deal with this by the time they're 30 by taking solace in the fact that they are a part of something greater than themselves, like family, church or ethnos. Oh, wait, you are probably a part "progressive" generation who takes great pride in actively undermining all of the above. Enjoy buying shiny things and eventual suicide then, I guess.

Why is a fear of being forgotten bad?

>Get off my lawn! I mean, board!
>FUCKING MILLENIALS REEEEEE

I asked for book recommendations, not for your fucking feelings you stupid faggots

Yeah, book recs for conformation and something to relate to. What the fuck are you going to learn from that?

Anyway, best I can give is The Anxiety of Influence by Harold Bloom. It's pretty exactly your feel.

Ecclesiastes, Ezra Pound's poetry (some of it), Ovid.

Being forgotten isn't really an issue, but I do want to make other people happy