JP's Self-Authoring

I know J Peterson gets a lot of airtime over on /pol/ but what does Veeky Forums think of his books or his Self-Authoring program?

Am thinking of the latter to boot my procrastinating ass into gear in a more positive writing direction (already do a lot of journalling and random note-taking).

The 2-for-1 deal seems OK pricewise, but do we have any informed opinions about this? Cheers!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qa9u5t3C0AI
youtube.com/watch?v=RoGdMpdZXzs
scholar.google.com/citations?user=wL1F22UAAAAJ&hl=en
youtube.com/watch?v=1GSUG_B-new
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Please go back to /pol/

unironically sincere question.

don't mean to step on anyone's toes like

Please go back to /pol/

He's a pseud.

He thinks Orwell is a more significant figure than Hemingway. What a dipshit

Its not even close.

Please go back to /pol/

Back to /leftypol/, cunts :)

someone please unplug the broken 'tard record.

regardless of his take on Hemingway and Orwell, has anyone anything relevant to say on his writing programme?

Perhaps I'd have gotten less crap on /adv/, unlikely as that may seem.

>over on /pol/
You're going to have to be more subtle than that.

this is about his books and writing programme , in case you didn't read past the first clause, not his politics.

That's more like it.

I don't care for this guy but it's funny how people get immediately triggered as soon as they see him mentioned

I've not heard of this before. Could explain his program?

hardly. you didn't read the message did ya, user, or I wouldn't have to repeat myself as much as the cretins on here. and Peterson's the hack? -
good one.

that was the reason for my initial query, user.

You mentioned J.P and /pol/. I thought for sure you were false flagging or baiting. Nvm. You are just new.

It sounds like it's designed more as a kind of writing therapy than anything Veeky Forums related.

but isn't all (or most) writing a form of exorcism?

Not necessarily. Though even when it is there has to be more to it than that for it to qualify as literature.

Not when you're trying to summon something.

Finnegans Fucking Wake. I see.

NOT Veeky Forums

Only thing that summoned is a bunch of pretentious hipsters LOL

Thanks for providing an argument in his favour, brainelt

How retarded are you?

So far I've only completed the "faults" portion of the present authoring module. The program is pretty straightforward; it basically just provides an orderly framework for writing about yourself.

Not Veeky Forums related.

any thoughts you'd care to share?

piss off, gimp. don't you have some vidya to exercise your trigger finger?

Stop bumping your thread and lurk more

I don't know since I haven't read it. But if I wanted to get advice on produtivity I would definitely go to someone that has knowledge of how the human brain works.

Pretty sure you can find a pastebin with all the self authoring stuff in it if you want to try it before buying.

yeah no doubt. the thing is, spending a few bucks on it might just force me to actually go and do it, know what I mean?

Ah so a psychologist that has hardon for neurology is the wrong choice right

i think he means that Peterson is the /right/ choice, or maybe you missed that part.

mods ban this

Look up cognitive behavioral therapy if you want to improve yourself and stop procrastinating, but for the love of God, please sage all JP threads. He's cancer on academia and all social platforms that discuss him.

kys

Post it if you have it, please

I'd be interested in seeing this too.

just kys senpaitachi.

If you're interested in the self-authoring program :

youtube.com/watch?v=qa9u5t3C0AI

youtube.com/watch?v=RoGdMpdZXzs

Google it. First few results.

Do you feel big, taking money out of a hard working man's pocket? Do you feel powerful, like your Marxist masters?

CBT is the gold standard in psychology circles. Peterson is a pseud who doesn't understand the things he criticizes and is capitalizing on conservative angst.

>just kys senpaitachi
Seriously though, if anybody is having suicidal thoughts, depression, or trouble focusing, cognitive behavioral therapy is the most effective way to improve your condition without taking medication.

What exactly is this man's accomplishments in the field of psychology? Does anyone that's not a virgin trump supporter take him seriously?

If i see one more goddamn i'm hiring a hitman to take him and patreon out

I'm sorry you're too stupid for fucking Hemingway

How is he a pseud?

He's rarely if ever cited in academic papers. Nobody really takes his "self-authoring" seriously. He's a mediocre tenured professor who realized he could capitalize on "anti-PC" culture and complain about things outside of his field of expertise, and people would eat it up.

scholar.google.com/citations?user=wL1F22UAAAAJ&hl=en

>8230 citations
>rarely if ever cited in academic papers.

He complains about Derrida all the time without even having read him

People are always extremely fucking desperate to delegitimize those they disagree with politically. It's really sad

He relies heavily on Lacan and Freud even though they don't provide reproducibly significant results in tests. Those who do focus on psychoanalysis academically mostly ignore him too.

The biggest tell is that he has made his career out of talking about things outside of his expertise. He complains about postmodernism all the time but can't articulate what it is.

He helped me a lot in the past three months and this is only the beginning of my journey to change

His ideas are not new and have been talked about since the 80s from the books i've read and I'm sure they go back even further in some writing's...

Self authoring works, there is a lot to what he talks about and I feel like I do have guidance again and a direction in life

With that said, I do feel I have to be honesst

This week has been hell and nothing he talks about is helping me deal with this, now it takes time I understand and it is just life one day you're good and another you feel like shit. Time to hit the grindstone again and sharpen myself, each day. The issue is I'll have a battle I'm fighting every day for about a month now. I feel he is helpful but it takes a lot of work from you to follow what he advises and find your own path in life

Did you seriously just mix Jung up with Lacan? Lmao shows how much you know.

He didn't start talking about postmodernism until a few months ago, you dolt. His career was already made.

and he's making cash money doing it. dudes not wrong either. he taught at harvard for several years, there's not a single person on this board as accomplished as JP.

He's also a climate change denier

He's also a contrarian.

You know, apart from being hilariously wrong, It's kinda depressing that your on Veeky Forums and don't know how rare receiving citations in academia are.

No?

Not really. Most people who listen to him tend to agree with what he has to say.

He says somewhere in this video that he thinks there's evidence it might be wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=1GSUG_B-new

Where'd you get that idea from? The human race originated in the savannah of Poland.

Everybody complains about Derrida, he's nearly universally despised in academia.

He hardly denies it. He says the oceans are more important.

Are you familiar with the phrase, "The pause"?

The only cancer here is you. Stop repeating the same shit over and over.

How do you know he hasn't read him?

True or false, this is totally irrelevant. Please STFU and stop being a tranny.

He never refers to primary sources and specifically said he prefers not to read them, so I doubt he's read a complete work by him.

Irrelevant to what? It wrecks his credibility in general. You're just obsessed with the trans issue for no reason

>rrelevant to what? It wrecks his credibility in general.
It's irrelevant to his self authoring program. How does is wreck the credibility of the studies performed on the self-authoring program?

Ideas should be judged on the ideas themselves and the evidence supporting them, not on the perceived "credibility" of the person presenting them. What you are advocating is a sheep-like mindset: believe the people you like and disbelieve the people you don't. Literally one of the biggest problems in society, and a major contributor to tribalism.

>He never refers to primary sources and specifically said he prefers not to read them, so I doubt he's read a complete work by him.

>he hasn't read derrida
>I doubt he's read derrida
>I have no fucking idea if he's read derrida

>He's a pseud.
If that's what you call one of the most cited personality research scientists in the world, fine.

He's disagreeing with the scientific consensus in a field outside of his expertise. That's atrocious behavior for a scientist no matter how you look at it. I don't have anything against him talking about psychology, of course.

Fair. I should have said I'm almost certain he hasn't.

Why does everyone always overlook his latent homosexuality?

He vociferously expresses very strong opinions on topics outside his area of expertise. That's the definition of a pseud.

I guess because he's been happily married to a woman for decades.

Wow a beard!
Anyone who watches him for a moment can pick up his latent homosexuality. Please do not lie to yourself.

This is obviously not true. Is some random blog worthy of the same scrutiny as an academic paper? The persons credentials do matter. And Peterson is not an authority - and in fact deoesn't even seem particularly well read by amateur standards - on philosophical issues.

There is a rumor on campus he molests little boys. Never was sure how he covered that one up, from what I am told that kid had bruises all over his body.

eh, Peterson is into politics now?

He has been for like half a year

>In this video he may have said something that somewhat implies he has the potential to have doubts about a specific and exact definition of climate change!
Jesus Christ, environmentalists are cultists.

Fuck off butt pirate

>Is some random blog worthy of the same scrutiny as an academic paper?
Yes? Why do you fetishize authority? Truth is truth regardless of where it comes from.
>The persons credentials do matter.
No, not really. Unless you're literally too dumb to learn things for yourself, you shouldn't just rely on what someone says because they're an "authority."
>And Peterson is not an authority
According to who? He taught at Harvard and millions of people listen to what he has to say, can that be said of you?
>and in fact deoesn't even seem particularly well read by amateur standards - on philosophical issues.
Okay, bro, but, that's just like, your opinion.

I don't get why people always talk about philosophy when Peterson approaches nearly everything from a psychology point-of-view.

Peterson talks a lot about Nietzsche, though I guess the psychological and sociological material is the most interesting part of Nietzsche's work

Literally everybody talks about Nietzsche, that's the great thing about him, he's so heavily over exposed to undergrads you can have a conservation about him with nearly anybody.

I am interested in the self-authoring stuff, but fear that I'm too cynical and full of self-loathing to honestly try it.

so do I.

what's the fucking problem?

>muh deconstruction

fuck, what a squeaky voice.

I don't know, anons, this is just such a turn-off if he's doing the video tutorials himself.

He has always been into politics, watch his older vids.

JP's fans are all pseuds who think anyone who doesn't talk about the world like Bill Nye or Lawrence Krauss is a philosopher.

I had a conversation with someone today and they mentioned this self authorship thing. I found the pastebin of it. Is it actually worth it or is it just a meme

as a psychologist i can tell you that he only spout nonsense

so it's just a meme then

how so?

this is leftypol