One of the cooks at the restaurant I work at maimed himself with a mandolin yesterday...

One of the cooks at the restaurant I work at maimed himself with a mandolin yesterday. I haven't seen too much gore IRL but there was usually a mandolin involved. They're probably going to rid of all the mandolins now.

Why do people always stop paying attention when they use this tool?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dL9RQNPH-JA
dailymotion.com/video/x4u7ilp
amazon.com/Dowellife-Resistant-Protection-Shucking-Processing/dp/B06XBGR2L9
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

people stop paying attention when they use any tool, a mandolin is just especially dangerous so you notice it more often.

One of the original pleb filters.

Couldn't they get chainmail gloves to make it safe?

They barely give you enough time to wash your hands, let alone don gloves whenever you need to slice some veg

Don't they have hand guards for those things? Also, I read mandolin and kept thinking of the stringed instrument. Is that seriously what those are called?

>Why do people always stop paying attention when they use this tool?

because it makes a monotonous task easy and require no thought to use. Unlike most other devices like that however this one is dangerous.

The kitchen tool is mandoline

Well there's your problem.

>TAKE THE LASAGNA OUT OF THE OVEN, user!
>I CANT FIND THE OVEN MITTS!
>NO TIME FOR OVEN MITTS!
>AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

What is the origin of this thing I've heard before?

how can you get hurt by an orange?

The real question is why the hand-guard thing always goes missing within a week of purchase.

I know the joke was on Family Guy but that might not be the origin youtube.com/watch?v=dL9RQNPH-JA

malcolm in the middle

fuck off it's a guitar

dumbass. he was clearly trying to slaughter a duck.

thanks

it needs a warning sign like "Do not put your penis in mandoline"

dailymotion.com/video/x4u7ilp

~19:00

Should've been carrying a rag, user. Part of the uniform.

I've been working in kitchens for almost a decade
Mandolins still terrify me

>put kevlar glove on
>don't need guard
I've slipped up a couple times not paying attention and the glove definitely works and unlike the shitty guard doesn't fuck with efficiency

Mandolins freak me the fuck out. I'd pay for a machine that was easy to clean and cut stuff like a mandolin does.

oi bin that mandolin m8

>not wearing your cut glove if you're an idiot
>not laying your hand flat when you get to the bottom of the veg so you cant physically cut yourself

darwinism is effective is all i'm saying

use the fucking guard like holy shit how is it so difficult for people

you would dull your blade instantly

I've been using mandolines in professional kitchens for over 20 years. I think I've only cut myself once, and it was on the medium tooth attachment inserted. More of a puncture than a cut, really.

This summer I cut myself opening up a package containing a new benriner.
Benriners are dangerous. Too sharp and not stable.

>Too sharp
>dangerous

yo, trying to force food through a dull mandoline and pushing your weight into it is the easiest way to fuck your life up

10/10 show

>They're probably going to rid of all the mandolins now.
As if it's the mandolins fault. The only problem would be if someone lost the guards and management mysteriously forgot to replace them.

Here's an easy fix:

amazon.com/Dowellife-Resistant-Protection-Shucking-Processing/dp/B06XBGR2L9

Removed 3mm off of my pinkie using one. Took of two slices a 1.5mm each...
Cucumbers and fingertips have a surprisingly similiar texture when using one of these. And inbefore "why not using the guard/holder thingie?" - its realy fucking hard trying to balance twelve inches of cucumber with one of those things.

Why didn't you cut the cucumber down to 2-3 inch chunks on the mandolin and then do them the rest of the way with the guard? A fucked up hand slows you down more than adding a step.

>mandolin
Retard.

I'm pretty sure this is what a mandolin looks like. What you have there is a mandoline.