Is Veeky Forums changing the English language?

Is Veeky Forums changing the English language?

Consider the suffixes it has introduced:
>-fag
>-kino
>-let

Words it has imported and popularised, or invented:
>t.
>kek
>wew
>trap

Punctuation it has developed:
>

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/-let
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1. Language is always in flux
2. You give Veeky Forums too much credit, step away from le screen

It's just internet jargon.

>Ey, man, it's just castilian jargon, we still speakin' Latin

These are only used on Veeky Forums though. It's more of a new jargon than a change of the whole language.

>Punctuation it has developed:
>>
This has been used by e-mail clients way before the chan even existed. Also I don't think kino is a suffix.

so you're saying the word piglet didn't exist until Veeky Forums introduced -let as a suffic?

Duh, every website that has its own culture or slang to some degree changes language to some extent. You can tell by the way people text what site they spend the most time on. You can literally always tell if someone's had a Tumblr for over five years and if they migrated their from LiveJournal. You can tell if someone used to like Homestuck. And if English isn't their first language, you can usually tell what sort of media helped them learn it.
What kind of people you surround yourself with will influence the way you speak. That's like, the most basic principle of language dude. That it changes.
I use ">" as a bullet point in handwritten text all the time, I use HTML tags to signify italics, and I'm actually actively avoiding writing a story that takes place in this century because I know I wouldn't be able to stop myself from referencing the internet on every other page in some way or another.
Scholars thousands of years from now will attribute certain changes in colloquial language to specific websites. Historians will come across documents about actual, serious politicians calling each other cucks. There's nothing we can do about that.

That aside, your examples suck OP

Not only that, it's changing the world. /pol/ effectively memed the current POTUS in office.

Stagnating wages and HRC neglecting the Midwest did that, not frogposts

You must be fun at parties.

Kek is from world of warcraft

(OP)
What the fuck does t. means?

t. New friend

t. Brainlet

abbreviation for 'regards' in finnish, like spurdo, it's one of those memes that came from their local imageboard clone

How can a FINNISH imageboard be so influential?

>I use HTML tags to signify italics
So, how's autism working out for you, user?

Pretty sure there was a Finnish shitposter on /int/ and people started copying him.

Finn's are the Japs of Europe, I imagine they would elect Mako president just for his weird vhs player collection and mental haircut

u forgot BANE

This is now a Kat McNamara thread

>hairy arms
my fucking ebonite dick

this thread needs
>röökijäbä :D

Those suffixes are chan only lingo and the words "wew" and "trap" are older than my mother.
Also this:

Incorrect. Finnish shitposters on krautchan popularized it there. It was then imported to Veeky Forums by american kc users.

No.

-fag
>same as -shit, -fuck, and -cock
>oh, and -tits
>been around since at least the 70's

-kino
>only ever seen/heard it used by pickup-fags and a lottery company

-let
>came from piglet

t.
>slang that rises back up every few centuries meaning something different

kek
>granted

wew
>people have been misspelling "whew" for a while, I did as a child after hearing a scottish comedian say "Whew, laddie."

trap
>no

Using ">" for spacing text was either a french thing or a military thing years ago, and it was also a common thing in emails in the 90's. Granted, as punctuation/for a specific purpose, Veeky Forums has certainly popularized it.

You're forgetting the arguably most important one, you cuck

An another slang doesn't change a language, don't be an idiot. Nobody uses those words outside the imageboards.

That word was invented in the 13th century.

this

t. kacey poster

>Veeky Forums invented -let
Found the ESL.

I still don't know what the " t. " part stands for. I just know it means "brought to you by"

only retards say these things

If you can create words/slangs and make them get assimilated in a natural non forced flow you too can feel powerful.

I do it at work by taking a common mistake one person does and using their name + ism so everyone knows what i am talking about, ended up creating a non-official cult where i was on top simply because i was labeling shit first.

There is also a variety of bum themed insults.
butt
ass
booty
+
mad
ravaged
blasted
pained
hurt

>I use HTML tags to signify italics
what the fuck

>-let
>>came from piglet
what did he mean by this?
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/-let

I haven't heard any of those used outside of Veeky Forums. Every community has its own lingo, but yes, Veeky Forums does have some interesting ones.

I think you mean: what the fuck

what about omlet?

It's funny because "om" sounds like "homme", the French word for "man"

An omlet is literally a manlet.

Kino is what we call the cinema in Croatia, and probably other slav countries. It's been here for like 100 years, what kind of ignorant bullshit are you spewing. I'm going to the cinema to watch the new Dolan movie = Idem u kino gledati novi Dolanov film.

i always thought it stands for "tovarisch" to give something this kul marxist edge

-kino is a suffix?

Capekino, animekino, etc.

What does kino mean?

terveisin, i.e. regards

It introduced it as being able to assign it to anything that constitutes an insult.

Of course, Veeky Forums has had a strong influence on internet mainstream language (actually the base meme culture is pretty much entirely from Veeky Forums) and through that, real world language.

the French have been using that one as a joke for centuries: "t'es un homme ou une omellette?" = are you a man or an omelette/manlet?

People that use those in any context outside of the internet are cringey fuckheads.