Poetry is the lowest form of written """"art...

Poetry is the lowest form of written """"art."""" It's for people who lack the musical ability to write a song and people who aren't good enough at prose to write a story.

I tend to agree with your assessment.

Well poetry used to have its own rules but since Whitman its degraded into postmodern stupidity along with the other arts. It used to take talent. We should be grateful that prose still exists because the written word has utility beyond art.

Wtf I hate verse now

novels are for people who can't write poetry

Don't be a contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

ITT: duh

yr being the contrarian here, lout

Writing good poetry is much harder than writing a good song.

>implying poetry can't tell a story
>not understanding epic poetry like the Iliad

Congratulations, you are a fucking retard.

Please do the gene pool a favour and fucking off yourself.

>Illiad
>A story that has to be told as a poem because some Greek retard couldn't figure out prose
No

I had to read sylvia plath in secondary school and it put me off poetry for years

Confessional poetry is trash desu.

Ubermensch is a retarded concept. Nietzsche was an invalid who dealt with his own misery and insecurity with mad misogynist power fantasies.

>The Iliad
>Homer was some Greek retard

Either you are an underage kid who needs a good beating or an actual retard.

I implore you, please kill yourself. Your miserable life is a benefit to no one and your IQ significantly decreases the national average. Just fucking do the world a favour and top yourself.

>STOP INSULTING POEMS I LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE EASY TO REEEEEEEEEEEEAD >:(((
Brainlets ladies and gentlemen.

>Epic poetry
>Easy to read

Try reading the Kalevala. I honestly think you should just cut off your dick and wait to bleed out. This is the death you deserve. You are fucking vermin. I wish nothing but misery and pain upon you and everything you love. I hope you die slowly and painfully.

>STOPPPP
>NOTTTT
>LIKING
>WHAT I LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE
You should write a poem called 'why I'm gay' if you like poems so much.

Pathetic damage control. Hang yourself.

Not him but are you literally autistic?

wtf i hate poetry now

>poetryfags this BTFO

OP

>stop liking what i dont like

You're free to like poetry, just don't act as if it's anything other than shlock: something to enjoy when you turn your brain off.

okay, you enjoy your ulysses, and I'll enjoy my odysseus

do you understand the concept of history? i'll bite

untermensch detected

Novels and music are crafts, not art. You've got it all backwards.

That would be a yes on the autism question I suppose

it's weird how good/decent poets can write good/great prose (Joyce, H.D., Shakespeare, Plath)
but people like Faulkner admitted he couldn't cut it as a poet.

Also narrative poetry is pretty common you dummy. Poetry is the highest form until video games are figured out (by me).

>Reads poetry, where the main point is rhyming schemes and the rhythm of the sentences
>Decides to choose a foreign work like the Odyssey that has to be translated, thus destroying the entire fucking point of poetry

Kys, literally the only reason to read the odyssey is if you want to look pretentious, which you clearly are.

I agree with the OP, but only if we're talking about poets working today. Contemporary poetry is by and large garbage. It meant more at other points in history; song has eclipsed poetry today simply because recordings made them a more lasting, worthwhile form of expression.

Spenser's Epithalamion is a masterpiece once you understand its structure, for instance. Paradise Lost is a staggering achievement. There's a ton of great poetry that barely anyone will appreciate anymore because contemporary education has done all it can to make poetry awful for students who didn't have an interest going in and have no chance of enjoying it.

In response to an above reply, I would personally not put any blame of Whitman himself for the death of poetry. Leaves of Grass is pretty incredible. It's his imitators and reactionaries who have made the genre terrible. The Modernists ruined poetry and postmodern poetry is the joke we got as a result. I had to read some recent poetry not too long ago for a course I was GAing and had to laugh at its unbelievable shittiness.

>implying poems can't be sung and converted to song
>implying songs aren't poetical

Confirmed for not knowing shit about either music or poetry. Why are you even on this board?

'America the Beautiful' was first written as a poem, and was later set to a hymn tune by Samuel A. Ward. 'Auld Lang Syne' was a poem penned by Robert Burns set to folk music. Art songs were mostly musical settings of poems or text, and are a large part of the oeuvre of many famous composers.

Crafts are art.

>mfw my country doesn't have a national epic of his own.

epic poetry is dank af, but romantic poetry and all that other shit is wack

The amount of pleb ITT is physically and mentally abusive.

Epic Poetry = among the greatest artistic expressions ever conceived by the human mind. Homer, Virgil, Dante, Milton, Goethe.
Romantic Poetry = mostly inane trash (Keats "truth is beauty and beauty is truth, this is all you know on earth, etc" wtf Keats shut up)
Most Rhyme Poetry = garbage.
Contemporary Poetry = cancer.

A lot of the modernists were quite skilled though. Dylan Thomas for instance.

Haha no

>1930=poetry started...

>does anyone else hate new stuff?!?!?!?!?111/

In what world is it easier to write a poem than a song?

"New stuff" sucks user.

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.

>ugh what happened to GOOD MUSIC like van halen music is dead fuck justin bieber

>mfw born in the wrong generation for pottery

>since Whitman
>into postmodern stupidity

severe retardation

>of all modernists he picks fucking Dylan Thomas

just admit you don't like the concept of poetry and are easily awed by lofty sounding shit about fairies, matter of fact, most people in this thread should do that

joyce, nabokov, and faulkner are all failed poets off the top of my head. not saying any claims such as "poetry is for" or "prose is for" have any sense in them, just putting it out there.

>I'm a failed poet. Maybe every novelist wants to write poetry first, finds he can't, and then tries the short story, which is the most demanding form after poetry. And, failing at that, only then does he take up novel writing.

I stopped reading poetry after I read Rilke because I realised that I would never read a poet as good as him ever again.

Yeah, Shakespeare, Chaucer, Homer, Vergil, Keats, Yeats, all those guys were just wasting their time.

you know, i don't think this is an uncommon sentiment. the first time I read (and truly understood) Rilke when I was younger, i didn't like many things I read afterward for a while. Rilke has a magic to him, he strikes me as one of those rare types that almost seemed to have unlocked a higher method of feeling than the rest of us, like whitman and shakespeare and donne. Rilke is, in my opinion, the most significant poet and maybe even author to have lived in the 20th century. It'd be beyond a doubt in my mind had Joyce never existed

This thread is proof that most of Veeky Forums is mostly populated by pseuds.

The only people who think poetry is second to prose are those who are ignorant of poetry or those who cannot understand it. Like one of the other anons said, the greatest novelists are those who failed at poetry (then short stories/essays). There are direct quotes from Faulkner and Nabokov on the matter from the perspectives of those who became novelists and the proof that this is true from the successful poets side is the fact that most famous/successful poets only wrote poetry or short works, while many "novelists" have dabbled in different forms only to find success in prose.

This argument could be turned around so it becomes "poets are less talented, that's why they could only write poetry" but the testimonies of Failkner and Nobokov, as well as a high school understand of the poetic form, would disprove this counter.

>poetical

Yes, no suprise it draws the biggest range of talentless hacks

The thing is, poetry in the modern age has lost it's value. There isn't anything that can be done with peotry that can't be done with any other artform at a better achievement

I can't tell apart slam poetry from stand up comedy.

Name a modern piece of poetry on par with the old epics then you contrarian faggots.

How so? Every country has one, even if it's a meme one.

So we have to wait 100-200 years to get something valueble? What a joke of medium.

Cat In The Hat

Lol