My mom tried to get me to read this

>My mom tried to get me to read this

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>be me
>12/13 years old
>loved the movie, read the book after
>there are adults who read, enjoy and recommend that book
Oh boy

After they see that it actually doesn't work, they're going to become deeply Christian. Happened to my parents.

It's true though

And it worked for Jim Carrey

MAN I HATE THIS SHIT

REEEEEEEE

What the fuck, why does every mother on earth own this book?

My mom literally forced me to watch this in order to play video games again.

As a kid who couldn't be happy otherwise, it was truly hell. It was the worst film I've ever seen. It was just propaganda, too, like actual indoctrination but I just wanted to play video games again...

There are people on this planet who don't comprehend the message behind this ramshackle hype-smut? Seriously?

>imagine the shit you want
>believe/have confidence that you can get the shit you want
>work your ass off to get the shit you want
>accept and be grateful you got the shit you want, and help others get the shit they want so you can get more shit you want
How to: Success in Life & Business.

>>work your ass off to get the shit you want

This was not part of what my mother took away from this at all. Everything else you listed was though.

wasn't the crux of this work that you should beeelieve in yourself?

I always feel so bad when someone I love reads garbage. I want to say something but I don't want to hurt their feelings. That's the problem with dating, it's so easy to be too harsh about stuff people like.

It's more along the lines of
>want something
>think really hard about having it
>you will have it
Everyone always uses parking spots as examples. Like, you'll be looking for parking and can't find any and as soon as you believe you'll find parking, you find it. Like prayer only less effective.

>That's the problem with dating, it's so easy to be too harsh about stuff people like.

I feel this. I just wanna let people like what they like and not be a pretentious cunt, but how do I respect someone that cried during the last Fast and Furious movie? I don't wanna be like this.

>but how do I respect someone that cried during the last Fast and Furious movie?

I don't know the context of the last Fast and Furious movie, however entertainment serves as stimuli. The degree to which individuals invest themselves in their entertainment of choice differs, and if someone derived happiness from a medium, surely they can sadness as well.

You're in it for the experience, so the specific person you're judging here actually has greater emotional intelligence than you given their ability to cherrypick what to emotionally invest themselves in at will. Even if they can't "cherrypick" it and are merely vulnerable in this way, if you have faith in them you can try to have them harness their emotional intelligence and indulge in it through content you respect.

Either way, they walk away from it with more than you feel you can get from it, so shouldn't you envy them?

Just give it up man. My best friend has read maybe 3 books in his whole life, his only hobbies are video games and anime, and yet he's way smarter than I am. Absolutely destroying his mathematics degree even though he does every assignment the night before. The only difference between him and me is that I can string a sentence together, but his actual cognition is way before anything I can muster.

It's not that bad, it's just watered down Whiggism, which is watered down Stoicism. There's a glimmer of value in there somehwere

>tfw my mum got me to read this when I was 15

feels good man

I've always avoided this book like a plague, even as a kid. It was weird and vague, and I was kind of skeeved out by it. But to be honest, I STILL don't know what it's about? I always assumed it was like, a self help book for women to find their inner strength or some shit? Am I wrong?

Same. I have a friend who flat out refuses to read. I go through the 5 stages of grief pretty regularly with them.
>You can't really not read at all, though.
>What if I buy you a really short book?
>Please? Just try it, for me?
>WHY DON'T YOU READ?
>Okay, okay, I get it.
They listen to audiobooks tho, so I get them to consume books I like that way. You take what you can get.

It's a hard road my dude. I'm sure they get their fill somehow, but I can't imagine how. They don't know what they're missing

This, people drop the work part

Yeah, I know. Oh my god. It drives me crazy. I've been reading obsessively since I figured out how to read. It's so much fun. Denying yourself that is just... so alien.

Not everyone is autistic.

>reading is autistic

>I want to say something but I don't want to hurt their feelings
It's a gamble. I lashed out in front of my mom and grandpa about some new age bullshit and both of them took in completely opposite ways.

It's no worse than religion

mine has this as well

what's the secret?

I used to think atheists who tried to convince religious people they were wrong were cruel. You know what's really cruel? A religious person pointing out the desperate unseriousness of the sentimental rules-of-thumb atheists use to avoid gazing in the void.

>if I just make a c-contribution
>all I have to do is improve myself
>history is moving towards a state where almost everyone will be pretty happy
>all it takes is a change of attitude
>it's about seizing the day and living in the moment
>"self actualization" without "organized religion"

That humans have magical powers and can alter the outcomes of purely material circumstances by thinking about it positively and with focus.

It's got something to do with quantum mechanics or a nebulous notion of "energy" depending on who you ask about it.

oh man i remember that shit, the idiot who draws dilbert used to shill it. he claimed it cured his cancer. he actually never had cancer but he was tested for it once and claims to have used the power of his thoughts to shift his consciousness to a universe where he was cancer-free and that's why the test came back ok. bless that moron and his magical life.

>My mom literally forced me to watch this in order to play video games again

There are a lot of horror stories about stupid restrictions parents put on vidya, but this takes the fucking cake.

Did she think you were struggling or did she just really want to force that shit on people?

Excess white brain matter that leads to masturbatory gossiping and preference for face/fantasy over reality.

The two are closely linked. Gossip is a form of fantasizing. This also explains fujoshits.

why are middle-aged women the most susceptible to this kind of bullshit?

The favoured example in this shit is definitely the parking spot thing, but even the people who explain the concept with it forget the most important part...
>shit I need a parking spot
>a'ight muthafucka, I'm getting me a spot by the corner of 8th and State
>awh shit yeah, I found me a fucking spot on 8th across from State

That missing step is so simple, but like noted, people forget the need to
>DRIVE THE FUCKING CAR INTO THE PARKING SPOT AND FUCKING PARK IT.

On the whole, the lot of it reads like Rosicrucianism, Stoicism, and that quirky section of Finance you never know whether to take seriously or laugh it off as a get-rich-quick shill.
>especially when they come up with shit afterward, like two separate books to "extend the knowledge"
>and a movie called the "moses code"

Resembles that crock of shit younger/newer masons spout about how magic works and how every war on this planet can be tied back to ownership of the "plasma device" called the ark of the covenant. Whole bunch of batty shit left, right, and center down that rabbit hole.

It is a known phenomenon that people who delude themselves with positive thinking literally bias their way into a better life. Somebody telling them "The roof is on fire." might mean cash from insurance or just that they're Veeky Forums
>I'm sorry, but puns

People tending toward realism, on the other hand, would see the burning house for what it is and grab the most valuable shit they could while keeping relatively safe.

And there's the "ignorant masses" who would be on their next life before they realized they were burning to death.

Men are just women but with God on their side

Not everyone is desperately searching for meaning man. Id rather fill that "void" with a truth that isnt terribly fulfilling, than an obvious untruth that might be more fulfilling.

>>People tending toward realism, on the other hand, would see the burning house for what it is and grab the most valuable shit they could while keeping relatively safe.
no, valuing things is already being deluded. people who sees things as they are do not rely on sensuality and are not scared nor drawn towards sensuality, so that do not give care if their house burns.

Funny how you claim to be an avid reader yet can't even understand what you read. That's what autism does to you.

What is this book even about? I've heard of it and I try to distance myself from it. Is it one of those WANT IT WISH IT HAVE IT kind of self-help books? Is it a film adaptation of the Koran?

When I was a kid, I was a bad apple and my mother made me watch that trite shore film. All I remember was the segment about the gay dude who was bullied by his co-workers and didn't even think about going to hr. So he sat in a tree and made all the harassment disappear.

Worked for Trump

>you wouldn't grab your spouse, children, or pets to save them from burning to death
>because that is "relying on sensuality"

Not valuing life is delusional.

It could be worse. My mom is trying to get me to read Russel Brand's book.