Broth

I'm deboning around 10lbs of chicken thighs tonight so I'm going to use the bones to make broth. How do you make your broth? I'm planning on chopping the bones in half to help get some marrow out

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0Oi4DjS5EJU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=0Oi4DjS5EJU

I freeze a bunch of vegetable scraps and use that to make stock along with the bones. Scraps like the outer leaves of leeks or the tops of peppers.

Usually start by browning everything up, then adding liquid and simmer until it's as strong as I want.

First: roast the bones if you want brown stock. Don't roast them if you want white stock.

Stick the bones in a pot (or pressure cooker). Add cold water and a little mirepoix. Bring to a simmer; keep there about 3 hours if using a normal pot, or 1 hour in a pressure cooker.

Standard recipe is 8 lbs bones, 1 lb mirepoix, yields 4 quarts of stock. You can add herbs if you want, but I usually don't so that the stock can be more generic. If you use chicken only then it's good for western, european, asian food, etc. If you stick western herbs in it then you're locked out of using it for an asian dish (and vice versa).

I suggest roasting the bones before.
Makes such a difference

pan
nice and hot

With fruit

>heat oven to 425F
>roast bones until nicely golden brown
>put bones in stockpot, cover in cold water, and slowly heat to a bare simmer, skimming off any scum, fat, and foam that rises

It's way easier to do this part BEFORE the mirepoix go in, as they tend to float and make it harder to skim properly.

>optional: roast mirepoix
>add mirepoix once you're not getting much crud to skim off anymore. I use 25% onion, 25% leek, 25% carrot, 25% celery, along with some thyme, black peppercorns, and bay leaf.
>cook at bare simmer ~6 hours, skimming fat periodically
>strain and ice down

The skimming may seem like a pain in the ass but it definitely helps flavor and helps keep the stock clear. It's especially important if you plan to reduce your stock down for sauces or whatever.

>optional: repeat entire process with new bones and veg, using your chilled stock rather than water
This produces, essentially, a double-strength stock, allowing you to cram twice as much flavor into the same volume of stock. It's time consuming and expensive but it produces amazing results.

nice try fda

Mildly unrelated but broth is unironically a fucking great gift to give to pretty much anyone that cooks.

I just made a bunch of broth by throwing in a slow cooker for about 18 hours. Just a chicken carcass, sage, rosemary onion, garlic, some mushroom scraps and peppercorns. First time trying and came out decent it seems.

I actually only lightly fry the bones when I’m using a pressure cooker as the stock that comes out of a pressure cooker tends to brown pretty well anyway.

Make sure you’re just barely covering the bones. I used to use a shitton of aromatics but onions and carrots tend to make stock that’s pretty sweet and less versatile. I usually go with celery and mushrooms to boost the savoury taste.

If using a pressure cooker don’t go longer under pressure than about half an hour, at least for chicken. You can simmer it afterwards for as long as you want.

I like this thread. Just bought a pressure cooker the other day and I'm planning on some home made stock real soon. Thanks to all who've contributed.

What is wrong with pressure cooking for more than half an hour with chicken? What will happen? Start pulling the wrong flavours out of the carcass or something?

>What is wrong with pressure cooking for more than half an hour with chicken?

Curious on this too, never used a pressure cooker before and am intrigued

Grind the bones to dust so the water absorbs it better

if you break the bones, youll get the gelatine out and make a jelly stock

memes
old and stale

My secret broth recipe.

Chicken bones and whatever
Water from boiled potatoes
Water from preserved unsweetened corn
Herbs spices salt
Onion
Turnips
Carrot

I'm pretty sure that's it, use left of over vegetable bits for extra flavour. Drain once boiled. Makes the best chicken soup ever.

Nothing wrong with that

chop off excess skin and put that at the bottom layer of the pot
cover skin with bones
cook at full blast until skin renders and fries bones
fill with water
bring to a boil
pull heat down to a simmer or put in crock pot
cook for 6-8 hours
strain liquid
refrigerate

I ended up doing it last night:
- I broiled the thigh bones and whatever scraps excluding skin
- once darkened, I chopped the bones in half
- I threw the skin in the stock pot and cooked it to brown and let out the oil
- threw the chopped up bones and scraps on top and let them fry for a bit
- threw in some vegetable scraps, an old onion and some baby carrots
- once everything was sufficiently fried I added water until everything was barely submerged
- simmered for 3 hours
- drained into a jar while pouring through a fine wire mesh strainer
- let the fat settle to the top and ladled it out

It's pretty cloudy but made for a mean bowl of ramen

I've tried making broth/stock whatever with chicken thighs and just doesn't come close to chicken wing tips

if you can get chicken wing tips I'd use those

the only reason I had them was from saving in a freezer bag after each time I cut up chicken wings till I had about a galon bag full