Which is the definite all-round cooking wine? red or white?

Which is the definite all-round cooking wine? red or white?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin-contact_wine
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>that bullshit image
Triggered

I usually cook with white wine. Much more of a fan of drinking red with cheese and stuff. But don’t go by colour alone if you’re choosing a wine for a particular dish. No reason you have to use red in a stew or white in a fish sauce

depends on your all around cooking style, most used proteins, etc. I would think red has a slight edge in overall versatility though

I really like to use red wine. Sangiovese especially.

White wine is definitely more versatile in cooking, so I'd say white, but you can do great stuff with red wine, since it has a more intense flavor, but it's use is much more specific.

what's wrong with the image? seems incredibly basic

It’s wrong.

Red

which part

You can make white wine from any colour of grape. Wines are often made with a blend of grapes including those of varying colours.

red wine is red due to the fact that the skins macerate in the juice. In white, the skins are removed. The color of the skin is not the determining factor, though there is a definite trend

well this is personal, but I tend to use red wine more with other bold flavors, white when the dish is a bit lighter.

White wine can be pressed from red grapes, the depth of hue comes from duration of time juices comingle and mascerate with grapeskins.

White if you’re cooking
Red cooking wine if you’re trying to get drunk

white for fish/chicken
red for everything else

thanks

I guess red for all around deglazing. Really great in saute onions.

>t. Never made risotto

Niggah, you don't want your risotto to come out looking purple, unless you're affiliated with some high falutin' squid ink "gourmet" restaurant.

That's like asking "what's the definite all-round cooking spice?" There are dishes that call for one and dishes that call for the other.

shut up

Isn't "red wine" made from white grapes called orange wine and "white wine" made from red grapes called rosè? So technically red wine is made from red grapes using the red wine technique and white wine made from white grapes using the white wine technique.

this is a dumb conceit.

Risotto with red wine doesn’t come out purple.

>the definite all-round cooking spice

Black pepper.

Yeah, so black pepper.
There are definitely some ingredients that are more versatile than others. chicken stock is more versatile than beef stock, for example

salt, or dried green onion flakes

never heard of orange wine, but there are different techniques in making rose. It began as making wine from a by-product of red winemaking, but in some wines (champagne and others) they just mix a little red into the white. Red wine usually is made from red grapes and vice versa, but there are exceptions and it is not the color of the grape that has the greatest influence on the color of the wine

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin-contact_wine