Try to read a book

>try to read a book
>after only a few paragraphs, realize I lost focus on what I was reading and didn't take it in
>reread what I just read
>don't understand the words/allegories
>look them up
>while doing this, go on Veeky Forums, shitpost about books I haven't read
>fantasize about being a writer
>try to write something, give up as soon as I open Word
>go back to reading
>after every page check the Veeky Forums threads to read new responses
>check my phone in the hope that someone has messaged me
>no one has
>after 2 hours I've read 15 pages
>realize I've forgotten it all

Other urls found in this thread:

en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nice blog post

That's bad. You should focus on just reading a book first. Set a tomato timer and look up words/allegories on your break. Sounds like technology has broken you.

>tomato timer

wut

en wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique

This works for me sometimes when I'm having difficulty concentrating on one task. I'll jot down some of the words/concepts that I'm having difficulty with then I'll look them up on my break. My attention span is pretty terrible currently

do we need this thread all the time? the answer is simple, spade, kill yourself

God these threads are fucking pathetic.

Go back to /tv/

>wahh woe is me
stop. It's pathetic.

Start with reading some shit you like. Something that pulls your interest away from that stuff. I started reading Star Wars books. Just sounds like you're forcing yourself to read.
Also, what are you currently trying to read yo?

If you do that you might aswell be watching a tv show or movie

Everytime when im studying

You're still doing better than me. I can't finish one page before throwing the book away (sometimes literally because I get so upset at not being able to concentrate) and spending the rest of the day on Veeky Forums.

War and Peace. I've been reading it for 6 months and am only 400 pages in. I'm not forcing myself to read it, I actually quite like it, Veeky Forums just has too powerful a hold over me.

I'd like to suggest everyone who has a problem with concentrating to read Digital Dementia by Spitzer. It's not a great book, but it describes a lot of ways how modern technology screws with your brain. A good analysis, but not so much in terms of solutions.

TL;DR Never try to multitask but force yourself to do one task at a time. Minimize your useless interactions with smartphones like checking if someone sent you a message or what the times is etc..

My concentration and attention had been getting better, but yesterday I drank some codeine and I've been struggling with every line

I read The Brothers Karamazov by reading a minimum of 10 pages 6/7 days of the week (I gave myself one day of the week I could choose as a break) and it took me just over two months to finish.

By the second month I was consistently reading 20-30 pages every day instead of just 10, and by the last couple weeks I sometimes read 50+.

you really have to commit to it, but once you do you will find that you enjoy it more and more and actually WANT to read.

and the funny thing is, after I finished it I was all like "okay now I can take a week break at least" but the next day I picked up another book and already read like 20 pages.

I had to sit and read Brothers in chunks of 150 pages or so. I couldn't do that personally.

I've read half of The Brothers Karamazov in 6 months...the long monologues bore me to tears

I posted a thread like this once and it got me permabanned. Granted it was for another outstanding reason, but whatever.

the monologues are the best part imo

P&V translation? I couldn't stand reading those french footnotes, I think you should have gone with a translation that translates the french into english right into the text, like Maude.

Agreed. I get excited when I see a rant coming.