What does Veeky Forums think of the Witcher series?

What does Veeky Forums think of the Witcher series?

>littered with inconsistencies
>Geralt is an unbearable protagonist
>Sapkowski has never spoken to a woman. Any mention of them is typically for sexual purposes with few exceptions. (Nenneke.)
>Adapts any famous fairly tale into his own pile of shit as if to say, "I'm cultured AND unoriginal."

They have their strong points.
>Dandelion is fantastic.
>rich lore
>Sapkowski writes combat with astonishing fluidity
>Valid points concerning racism, equality, dooming nature, dark side of human nature, etc.

They're overall decent. There are plenty of dry places between the seemingly random vibrant descriptions and explosive action scenes. They're not the best, but it's easy to see what made them so popular. Probably a 6/10, and I truthfully feel like I'm being generous.

fantasy novels written by a bitter old man in which the protagonist looks like something drawn by some 90s nerd who likes d&d and nu-metal.

i can't help but smile when i read about how salty he is over the success of the video games. he thought they were going to be shit and took a paycheck instead of royalties and missed out on a shit ton of cash.

Fucking this. I lost all respect for him when I saw what a whiny old cunt he is.

i don't think about it at all.

return to your containment thread:

Reads like ASOIAF set in Middle Earth and starring James Bond as the protagonist.

I don't know about the original Polish versions, but the English translations are solid novels that know how to balance pulpy high fantasy adventure with interesting political intrigue and cultural/racial conflicts.

>Sapkowski has never spoken to a woman. Any mention of them is typically for sexual purposes with few exceptions. (Nenneke.)

He simply represents them as his culture would see them. I suppose you don't run into many slavs in your free time.

Nie czytalem ale pewnie chujowe, bo to literatura gatunkowa

>The Life and Adventures of Ciri, The Ultimate Waifu (featuring her pet and sidekick Geralt!)

>with few exceptions
did we read different books?

I am slav and see nothing wrong with his masterpiece.

Good summary, I agree entirely

It was okay, but pretty unpolished

bored the shit out of me from game 1

Are you Perezoso?

Witcher 3 is the best game I have ever played. I say that as a life long gamer.

it's a wanky power fantasy of a bitter 5ft tall alcoholic. the short stories are readable, the saga is just shit.

the whole reason it got big in poland was the language, which was basically ye olde polish + funny swearing. we all read these books in middle school so we could quote the vulgar dialogue at each other. nobody really cared about the story. i have no idea why anyone would read the english translation which from what i understand doesn't even try to replicate the style, at which point all you're left with is an endlessly meandering fantasy saga about nothing.

>Good story.
>Gameplay oversimplified from Witcher II.
>Reason why III was oversimplified was because Witcher II's potion system was an autistic fetch quest, but III makes you do the same thing for armor and weapons anyway
>Leveling system that sets arbitrary limits on how many sidequests you can complete before you become permanently overleveled for the rest of the game
>Skyrim-tier dungeon design
>Incredible environment and visual look but you can say that for most triple A games nowadays. Unfortunately, it wasn't very well optimized.
>Story was authentic and immersive with a lot of "wow!" moments, but during the grind it's just a sandbox game.
>muh swamp.

It tries its best, but moment to moment a sandbox game can't really be all that great no matter how much content they shove into it.

With all due respect, I would like to know what games you feel are superior.

Moorcock rip off for the disposable fake fantasy geek chic crowd, see Harry Potter, GOT, Wheel of Time, Rothfuss, Lynch, etc.