Whats your approach to reading?

I am the pepe guy

I am the pepe guy

The pepe guy, I'm him.

Me on the right

le pepe c'est moi

>innate readers regurgitate things other people have said

I'm a failed innate reader :/

If I say I am the innate reader, am I still an innate reader?

What category is someone who reads only. Without any of that bullshit.

Depends did you come to that conclusion from innately reading the meme or are you strategically positioning
Only you can know my friend

Ich bin Pepe!

Who here /fourthoption/?

>Material Readers thinking they're too smart for graph

No. The fourth and most patrician option is not reading at all

PC.

>knowing how to read
>not running entirely on phenomena

We're reaching levels of Dasein that shouldn't even be possible

Whoever made that image is undoubtedly an insufferable cunt.

t. Theory Reader

t. me

I tried reading Plato, but I kept getting annoyed. Like, what's the point? All of the stuff they're arguing about is already irrelevant in light of the scientific knowledge we have now. The outdated moral stuff is hard to put up with too. Crito MAKES NO SENSE. The only thing I liked was how in Apology Socrates owned the guys arguing for conservative stuff like God and patriotism. But I gave up by the time I reached Symposium, I realised once I saw the pedophilia apologetics that there was nothing of value to read that I didn't already learn in middle school English class. Anyway, back to reading my biographies of Steve Jobs and Elon Musk. Later!

Don't bother, philosophy, just like science and politics were invented by ugly, inert men to justify themselves.

Entrepreneurs are forever superior to lazabouts like Socrates. Socrates sat around all day arguing with people about philosophy; Elon Musk has actually DONE something. Not only that but he got rich doing it, an excellent example of someone pursuing their self-interest, actually putting beliefs into practice, and not just being a deadbeat dad "intellectual."

elon musk got divorced twice from the same woman, and is now dating amber "succubus" heard, is that really someone who is pursuing their self-interest?

>Elon Musk has actually DONE something.
Yeah, his advances in the realm of cuckery are beyond human belief...

I don't feel whatever is in that pic would be relevant to me, I'm currrently playing a game where I read books from the sources of a text I read last year, and I read more books from the sources of those books, ad infinitum.

sometimes I take notes, sometimes I don't

>Crito MAKES NO SENSE
Theory reader detected.

this board is so insecure about its authenticity as readers lmao

Escape.

I'm the one on the left but with the Pepe shirt

>All of the stuff they're arguing about is already irrelevant in light of the scientific knowledge we have now.

What is one thing Plato speaks of that "scientific knowledge" has made irrelevant?

Does the theory reader have polio?

i choose books by their cover picture
picrelated top quality cover

Autism levels like this should be illegal.

I don't read at all.

Know what sucks? The Innate Reader is a fascist

>implying it's a bad thing

Well we aren't featherless chickens...

I am the pepe guy

>reading books in the first place

fuck off nerds.

I read but only to pretend that I'm interesting in some way.

Veeky Forums is the pepe guy, completely.

theory reader desu

I asked myself how I could claim to have a political alignment without having read some of the important works. Then I started reading.

no

Fascism is a bad thing

I read the book, without expectations, then I make a critique for myself, then I go out and discuss it.
Maybe do some secondary reading.

hello me, I'm getting out of the habit though.

Behold, a man!

Choosing books by covers is the first baby step on the road to innate reading.
You judge the book by its cover in itself then you judge it one page at a time

I mean...... that cover is really fucking good.......

Veeky Forums is the middle
Right is reddit
Left one doesn't browse the web, they're not blue pilled or red pilled, they don't give a shit about anything outside eating, fucking, sleeping and reading them books outdoors.

>I don't read books, yet.
I don't really do anything in this self-induced meaningless existence of short-term pleasures.

Who we aspire to be is more important than who we are

None, I don't read

Y ppl no c tha baet

I am the pepe guy

Veeky Forums AF senpai

Three envious neckbeards wishing they could do one percent of what Elon Musk has done.

>Right is reddit
no, that's /pol/. Reddit is the middle. Veeky Forums is, well, it's both right and middle.

Right is both /pol/ and tumblr/leftypol

I'm a material reader, but lately I've been transitioning to innate reader. I really hope I don't relapse; there are few tortures worse than reading a book, and just counting the pages, waiting until you're done with the damned thing. Hermann Hesse has really gotten me into enjoying books for the sake of that book. I'll probably relapse, unfortunately.

what is the fun of read if yoou dont debate it ?

You can't "just" read. You are always examing a text in a certain way whether you talk about it or not.

Someone who doesn't read

cuck detected

What are innate, material, and theory readers?

>Socially competant

I usually read a book, not knowing anything about it before hand, on recommendation from. Someone; i never read books because I feel a point to make, less still i am in wont to curry, so sweet, favour from former foes; truly i and thee are, twain of whole, innately readers!

edgy niggaz

i read the whole introduction of thus spoke zarathustra and a small wikipedia page on stoicism so i pretty much know everything to know about existentialism, philosophy and morality. No one can prove otherwise

what if i only read to escape my shitty fucking life into some new interesting reality? I don't take too serious like any of those clowns

That's innate reading my friend

More of an innate reader, though I dislike and don't bother memorizing or re-purposing other people's quotes or passages from books. That always seemed self-aggrandizing -- or perhaps persnickety -- like the only reason to memorize it was to show off and attempt to prove you're not a halfwit in a public setting. I'm just comfortable knowing I'm fucked if I do know a lot and fucked if I don't, so I don't worry too much about giving back to others or their opinions, unless they can persuade me their opinion is useful to me. I go in with as little expectations as possible, regardless of whether it's an old Sandman comic, an article on the web, or a genre fic/lit recommendation.

Then again, I'll also put on some music or a lecture or movie in the background while I read, and after reading I try to rewrite a couple of the passages that challenged me or weren't how I'd normally think about a topic. Partly to experiment with mindframes and writing styles and partly to see how well I can comprehend the text. Sometimes I get bored with the analysis and just try adapting toward the author's thought process, or being empathic (which I suck ass at because I've always hated when people presume to explain what an author or artist means when the author/artist didn't comment on the meaning).

Even though I hate that presumptive shit, I'll still read critics' responses and critical analyses of works I do and don't like, to see if there's anything I can learn.

>t. only read to give a new breadth of perspective to my limited world, for enjoyment of the challenge in some cases, and to learn/be slightly less ignorant

>E.g. - Wasn't partial to the informal expositional essay format, which is most journalism nowadays. After reading some older Buddhist and Taoist texts, I've a slightly greater appreciation for the lists of "5 such-and-such things you should know" or "10 this-and-that rules to do whatever" because it's a similar format to older Asian texts. Granted, the older texts read like modern scholarly works with references throughout to other works and most were only written well after the author or authors had become sources of authority in their subject(s), while most articles on the web are made by millennials vying to use their Leddit/social media circles to push them into being popularity-based sources of authority and knowledge.

>TL;DR I'm a moderately well-read autistic cunt

>Elon Musk
>bailout king of science
>purported irl tony stark needs gov handouts and tries to politically prevent others from going the same route

v.

Socrates
>may have not even existed
>an old man who thinks we should question what we know
>tries to teach people to expand their perspectives, to step back and look at things more objectively
>his stories are used for >1000 years to promote scientific inquiry and curiosity

One of them has only done a few things to further himself, and the other has helped humanity for literal generations worldwide.
>hint: Musk hasn't done much for humanity
>yet

give us reasons not to be
plz

which one reads philosophy like self help books

Probably Innate. Self help doesn't fit into either of the other descriptions

And Alain de Botton is my spirit animal

Not op, and hard core science bro, I would ordinarily discount shit musk says like "hyperloop" or "electric car in every house by 2025" but have you been to space?

>>purported irl tony stark needs gov handouts and tries to politically prevent others from going the same route

lol at the clowns who believe this oil industry bullshit on whatever alt-right blogs post it for cash

Then you're a pleb reader

I want an aesthetic padding around my experience of life, so that its a little less painful and a little more interesting

It can be any of them, its all about what they look to get out of reading philosophy or even self help

What's Better Than Foods approach to reading?

1st guy I swear.
But is there anyone who goes into a book without expectations? I usually spend awhile sifting through books for something I'm in the mood to read, or feel like will give/reveal to me me something that I need to hear.

>But is there anyone who goes into a book without expectations?

Of course not but that's why it says merely trys to. As in don't let pre-concrptions cloud what is the text in front of you

Innate reader with confirmed preconceptions on a number of topics, mostly with current political chagrin and known to be widely misinterpreted. The Pepe guy is half right in his actions; this said, the work therein is for you to not let it kill your curiosity and to continue doing the work of interpretation, rather than blindly validating.

Innate, but don't quote anything irl, do cite on paper. I also have inner tantrums when an author insists on certain ideas just for the sake of it.

I don't know, I'm kinda emotional with some things.

>Innate reader with confirmed preconceptions on a number of topics, mostly with current political chagrin and known to be widely misinterpreted

lol stop lying to yourself, you're a full on retarded frogman

I have not, nor do I care to go to the wonderful ocean outside the atmosphere.

However, I do appreciate and frequently use the Socratic method to learn.

Nothing Musk has done has affected me, my family, my friends, my "social circle", the community I live in, or the country housing all of the above. Socrates essentially lit the torch for at least a thousand years. At least 25x as useful as Musk at this point.
>And Socrates faced his enemies and the gov't in a morally, ethically, and judiciously fair manner
>Musk just kind of does shit he thinks might help, from a business perspective

I'll admit, by modern human standards Musk is far more successful than Socrates... he's more popular, is an entrepreneur (the modern pioneer, which was philosopher during Socrates' time) and has more money. But that's about it.

Musk himself has admitted he's had help from governments, on video. Not sure how that's alt-right or oil industry when it's finance.

>Nothing Musk has done has affected me, my family, my friends, my "social circle", the community I live in, or the country housing all of the above

Nigga, he invented paypal

I begin by picking up the book. Then I open it somewhere in the middle and take a big shit in it.

a mix of innate and theory. 60:40

i need the 'liberal arts vs stem monkeys' version of this meme