Who will defend the canon once he's gone?

Who will defend the canon once he's gone?

Other urls found in this thread:

nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/UPenn-Shakespeare-Portrait-Replaced-406346565.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

oh my dear boy, the canon defends itself, all one must do is merely point it in the right direction and plug their ears.

This. The whole point of there being a "literary canon" is that the importance of the works is self evident. Bloom's contribution was of studying the canon's history and comprising a pretty decent grocery list, but that's it.

He didn't really study the canon's history, just specific works in the canon. It would be interesting to read a historical study of the formation of the canon, though.

I will.

And I.

No one knows who you are, though. You need to have clout.

It is up to the individual to carry on his torch.

>you'll need to have clout to tell people how important shakespeare is
the fuck are you talking about.

You'll only be able to tell a few people though. There needs to be someone who can reach a large audience.

>he still doesn't get it
yes, who in the world would know of shakespeare without famous people?

His pupil?

No one, as Shakespeare is a famous person.

I hope it doesn't have to be her, and she's getting up there in age as well anyway

you're quite dense, you know that? that was the fucking point, bruh. shakespeare is already famous, he needs no one to champion him, he is his own champion literally from beyond the grave

People could stop caring about him and let him fade into obscurity though

Is feminist.

then he had no place being remembered to begin with, because the populace would have failed him. certainly not the other way around. no, harold bloom has done no such thing for us, but rather coasted on the fame of the canon itself, and as i said in the initial post, pointed it in some direction and fired. HE is the one benefiting from the canon's popularity, the canon is not reliant upon his popularity. the fact that you have not gathered this is why he's popular to begin with, people like yourself are atrocious fools and extremely lucrative.

The Alt-right, without understanding it

this may be the most realistic answer here, white males make up the majority of the western canon, so they naturally will be reviled by colleges at large, and thus scholars across the world.

Well how do we keep the populace from failing him? We need famous people liek Bloom to tell them to read him. If they can also earn some dosh off of it, no biggie.

Who's this QT?

>womeme
no if anything she will attempt to destroy or derail it using subversion from within.

>implying i'm not a misanthropist just from reading your posts
i say we let them fail.

It's no necessary. The media and the schools promove Shakespeare's works.

i can just see the headstone now: "Harold Bloom 800 BC to 2018. "Gotta go fast."

>implying

nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/UPenn-Shakespeare-Portrait-Replaced-406346565.html