What are some good things you like to put in beef stew? Also, post your own stew/soup recipes

What are some good things you like to put in beef stew? Also, post your own stew/soup recipes.

>onions
>potatoes
>celery
>peas
>carrots

These are pretty basic, but I want to expand on ingredients.

Other urls found in this thread:

chefkoch.de/rs/s0/hasenpfeffer/Rezepte.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bacon pearl onions mushrooms and carrots

Wine
Bay leaf
Cumin

things to raise to glutamate levels.

>mature cheese
>dried shitake mushrooms
>ground up dry anchovy
>stock made from roasted beef bone marrow.
>cured beef
>fish sauce
>soy sauce
>kombu kelp
>marmite
>vegimite

Worcester sauce

bone marrow

hot pepper flakes for sure

no.

get dried smoked chiptoles and grind them. a little goes a long way.

pepper flakes always end up overpowering the other flavors when you by chance get several in the same bite.

I make a big stew about once a month and always try something different. Put a can of tomato paste in the last one and it actually ended up giving it a lot of extra flavor. I'd recommend it.

GUINNESS. It's one of the few things the Irish are actually expert at. Other than that, stock from veal marrow. Carrots, celery, onion, and tomatoes are mandatory. Potatoes should be skin-on yukon golds so you're getting all that dank fiber and minerals. Definitely need green beans, peas, and corn in there for vitamins, more fiber, and sugar content. Bay leaf, naturally. I like mushrooms, not everybody does. For beans, kidney and lima are preferred. Worcester sauce and hot sauce of choice. If you like it spicier, definitely whole chopped chilis of choice, but beef stew shouldn't be a spicy dish like chili.

You need a good crusty bread with it, lightly toasted so it maintains some crunch even when dipping. Sourdough goes best with it. If you really want to carbo-load, have the potatoes and bread, AND serve it over rice.

Diced anchovies, smoked paprika

>corn
hell no.

beef stew should be overwhelming with umami and fat. carrots and peas are enough for sweet flavors.

Fuck that. Beef/ marrow/ veal is just the main flavor, but the point of a stew is to get a complete meal in one pot and one bowl. You want as much veg as you can pile in there, so long as the beefy flavor still dominates.

corn is garbage

it is mostly just sugars and stuff you can't digest.

No. Hes rite. Corn is wrong

Beef Bourguignon

The patricians beef stew.

Corn is a bit too sweet for most beef stews. Barley is a much better fit if you want to add a grain.

Barley is a good call. Beef & barley is a classic combo.

I put in parsnips

>All that bullshit when you can just use the real thing.

Anchovies

What are bad things you can put in stew? Is there anything you can't stew?

If you can find it, use hulled rather than pearled barley. It's kind of like brown rice instead of white--retains a bit of chewiness instead of going totally mushy.

stout beer

dubbel ale
tarragon

Turnips
Radishes
Beets

Orange zest, butternut squash and ginger.
Or Puerh tea and mushrooms.

celeriac, parsley root, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, leek, porcini powder. i wouldn't add all of these, but pick some and alternate

Dark roux made with butter
Fond from browning the beef deglazed with porter
Worcestershire or fish sauce

The rest is really just a matter of preference after that.

Turnips, rutabaga, parsnips

Fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, yellow curry powder, cloves, cumin, cinnamon, and fresh garlic cloves

I always do this, except the port is dry vermouth (its cheap and small and not drank, fits in fridge condiment shelf).

After scraping the fond I braise my beef "en florets" for a few hours then remove meat and veggies and boil down the liquid into a roux. I get massive shits this way. What do? Too much butter? Or flour?

Beef knees, oven roasted, quartered, 1kg
Dried pennybuns, 10ish g
Water, 2 litres

Put knees in a stock pot.
Put pennybuns in a cheesecloth sack and put it in the pot.
Top with water and bring to the boil.
Lower heat to maintain a bare simmer and cook, skimming scum as it forms.
When liquid volume is reduce by about half, off the heat and let it steep until cool enough to handle, then remove the knees and pennybuns.
Strain the stock of particulate matter and set aside.

Beef, stewing cuts, 400g
>i like the upper part of the inner thigh best, but not sure what the cut is called in english
Tallow or lard, 10ml
Onion, peeled, cored and chopped, 2 average
More tallow or lard, 10ml
Salt, as needed
Beer, preferable dark, 250ml
Flour, 50g (about 1tbsp less that a half cup, US)
Even MORE tallow or lard, 50ml
Black pepper, freshly ground, as desired
Allspice, a handful
Laurels, fresh (less likely to break), 4 leaves
>if you must use dry, see the recipe below for how
Stock, yield from above
Potato ("waxy" type), carrot, pearl onion, peas, 200g each

Sear cubes of beef in tallow so all sides are well browned, then remove.
Add onions, more tallow and a generous sprinkling of salt.
Caramelise the onions using the beer then remove from the pot.
Add the flour and remaining tallow to the pot and cook, stirring constantly, until a shade or two darker than peanut butter.
Add the caramelised onion, pepper, allspice and laurels and compound the roux.
Whisk in the stock to dissolve the roux throughout then add the cast-off juices from the resting beef.
Bring to the boil, reduce to maintain a low simmer then add the beef; if using dry laurels, add them now, too, wrapped in cheesecloth so they don't break apart in the stew.
Cook 2,5 hours, covered then add the potato.
Cook 10 minutes then add the carrot.
Cook 10 minutes then add the onion.
Cook 10 minutes then add the peas and off the heat.
Allow to steep a bit while you set the table.
Serve up your beef stew.
Makes 4 portions.

Note, potato can be omitted if you intend to use barley. To serve with barley, cook 300g of the grain separately and bowl up in equal portions, divided among 4 servings then top off with hot stew.

When I intend to make it with barley, I up the water to 3 litres and add 50g of roasted barley grains in the cheesecloth with the pennybuns. Gives it a barley-er flavour, which I like.

How bout I do what I like and you have your gay chiptoles

I like to put in a sliced apple. Gives it a nice german flavor.

"All that bullshit" is much tastier than a pure extract.

i change it up, regularly include a lot of things already mentioned itt, also
red miso
whole mustard
thick gelatinous stock
wine, beer or liquor

You miss out on the subtle flavors that come with something like anchovies.

ginger. It sets off a whole new flavor, and it's what my Macanese/Chinese/Madagascan expat grandma put in her recipe. Garlic and ginger.

Any germanbros have any good traditional Bavarian recipes for Hasenpfeffer? My grandmother was born in Augsburg and she used to always cook us german food but never Hasenpfeffer and i've been wanting to cook some up.

Porter as in dark beer, not port wine. But that works too, and so does vermouth. If I had to hazard a guess about your shits I’d guess it’s the grease, maybe cut down on how much roux you use?

owo

chefkoch.de/rs/s0/hasenpfeffer/Rezepte.html
Here you go user. Its in German, but google translate is getting seriously good these days.

I copied and pasted this from teh Volks-Kochbuch from 1905 by Hedwig Heyl, which is in the public domain on gutenberg.org.

HASENPFEFFER.

250 g Hasenfleisch: der zerspaltene Kopf,
Brust, Hals, Lunge und Herz
50 g Speckwuerfel
20 g Zwiebeln
20 g Mehl
1 Gewuerzdosis
1/4 l Fleischextraktbruehe
4 Essl. Rot- od. Maltonwein
15 g Zucker
8 g Salz und Pfeffer
2 Tropfen Speisefarbe
1/2 l Wasser

_Vorbereitung_: Das Hasenklein wird zerkleinert und sauber gewaschen.

_Zubereitung_: Man kocht es in 1/2 l Wasser ab, schneidet es dann in
Wuerfel und entfernt die Knochen. Der Speck wird im irdenen Topf
angebraten; die Fleisch- und Zwiebelwuerfel kommen dazu. Nachdem alles
angebraten, staeubt man Mehl darueber, tut Gewuerze, Bruehe, Wein, Zucker,
Salz und Pfeffer dazu und schmort das Gericht langsam gar. Das Aussehen
wird durch Speisefarbe gehoben; der Wein kann fehlen.

_Bemerkung_: Man kann Hasenpfeffer auch von trockeneren Hasenbratenresten
bereiten.

I'm in the process of trying to learn the language anyways so maybe it'll help out

BTW she was an ardent Nazi, so if you keep this in mind it should taste twice as good.

Well my great grandpa was in 1st Waffen SS so i'll definetly feel a connection

If you want to try something different try omitting potato and carrot and using turnip, rutabaga, and parsnip instead. those root vegetables will give your stew or pot roast some nice earthy and slightly spicy flavors (not chili pepper sort of spice, kind of hard to explain the exact flavor profile)

I'm a big fan of throwing mushrooms in my stews and pot roasts as well. Baby bella, portabella, oyster, and shiitake are all good. dark beer or red wine is a must, I go for a dry irish stout or a cabernet sauvingon.

also fresh rosemary and thyme can be a nice addition, add them in towards the end of cooking if you're going to include them.

oh leeks are nice in beef stew as well, I'd recommend trying that out some time if you don't normally include them.

Like the sound of this!

I just use a small pinch of cayenne

turnips are highly underrated

I find leeks are more suited to white meat such as turkey/chicken/cornish hen but if you like it with beef, do you

Broccoli stems. Just peel off the tough outer layer and chop them into chunks. They absorb the taste of the stew and become tender.

>>dried shitake mushrooms
>>kombu kelp

Never thought of those before. Thanks for the idea!

I usually add potatoes, carrots, beans, mushrooms, onions, and red wine to stew.

are you a fart fetishist?

I personally put italian seasoning on everything

Honestly stew is one of those things you can use just about everything on and it will work. That said, nutmeg, green onion and Worcester Sauce are all great possibilities, and I've a mate who claims that mint is a fantastic fot but I've never tried it.

>Worcester

Shit, I forgot the shire at the end of it. Never got used to it, especially since where I come from it's called "English Sauce".

Mexico?

Denmark?