Did Leonardo the Vinchi ever write some good literature or make some interesting reading material from his personal...

Did Leonardo the Vinchi ever write some good literature or make some interesting reading material from his personal notes and invention concepts?

Other urls found in this thread:

discoveringdavinci.com/prophecies
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchy_of_genres#Renaissance_art
plato.stanford.edu/entries/plato-metaphysics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>leonardo the vinchi

>Leonardo the Vinchi

Looks like someone was on instagram this morning.

Reminder that Da Vinci was only good at painting. His "scientific" and "engineering" work was almost all unrealistic idiocy that no one takes seriously. He wasn't even very good at math, and yet people worship him as some sort of engineering god, when in reality he made ridiculous designs like "giant crossbow that requires 40 people to fire it" and just attempted to market himself as an engineering genius to make a living

also,
>Leonardo the Vinchi

>"giant crossbow that requires 40 people to fire it"
It would make for better /k/ meetups

I remember flipping through his Trattato della pittura. Near the beginning of book there are some profoundly stupid claims of painting's superiority over all the other art forms. Later on he talks about more practical aspects of painting, perspective, technique etc. If that sounds interesting to you...

>there are some profoundly stupid claims of painting's superiority over all the other art forms.
no there aren't. he didn't like painting the most either

He wrote great satirical prophecies.
discoveringdavinci.com/prophecies

Wtf I hate the Renaissance now.

wrote some music

I'm flipping through the book again, seeing da Vinci attack poetry, music and sculpture, in that order. If you see something else there, please tell me what the first section of the book, paragraphs 1-40, is about.

>he didn't like painting the most either
So what did he prefer?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchy_of_genres#Renaissance_art

>Leonardo the Vinchi
Wut

his diary desu

O Draconian devil! Oh lame saint!

So Elon Musk but with more talent?

if painting is getting investors and being a popsci figure; yes

UTTERLY BTFO

You're just very ignorant of his work. Anyway I'm not really in the mood of starting an infinite and pointless quarrel, so please don't even bother to reply.

Disputes over the arts and the alleged superiority of an art over the orhers were very common at that time, and they went on for some centuries, at least until Neoclassicism. It's not stupid, especially if you consider everyone used to write such treaties; it's just overtaken, outdated.

Leonardo wrote good scientific prose, especially on the side of his sketches. But if you want to read very good literature by a Renaissance complete-man, get yourself Michelangelo's poems. It's one of my favorite books ever.

Why?

I have to agree with Da Vinci on one thing: poems are definitely untermensch tier

Hey cuck ;)

Next time just call me a fag, this whole cuck thing confuses me in this instance

t. I've only read ruki paur

t. I've only read very simple poetry

t. I don't understand poetry

t. my dream is to write a novel because I have no talent at anything

t. I've learned not to subvocalize

t. I've never left my room

t. tfw no gf

t. I can write a poem too

t. I don't read poems because poetry books are so short that they must be inferior to my beloved meme tomes

t. I can't observe the world around me

t. I don't know what metrics is

t. I want to live off my writings

t. I listen to Kanye West

t. I make out with my dog

t. I will definitely be a famous writer

t. I loved /fitlit/

t. I've never read Dante in the original

t. frogposter

t. I visit Thailand for ladyboys

t. I read self-help books

t. /pol/

t. I like to wear a black fedora

The man was ahead of his time. Not our time.

I don't see Veeky Forums finding any historical value in his epistemology - or any text or artifact from any era, if this spectacle of a thread is of any indication.

>Veeky Forums
I thought I was in Veeky Forums, looking at Veeky Forums being the smartest board more than the usual.

What do you mean by "his epistemology"?

Literally nothing

>Nessuno effetto è in natura sanza ragione; intendi la ragione e non ti bisogna sperienza.
No effect is in nature without reason; understand the reason and you don't need experience.

He's in a moment of transition from neoplatonism into the rationalist-empiricist debates to come in the following century, which he anticipates.

He writes things like:
>La natura è piena d'infinite ragioni, che non furon mai in isperienzia.
Nature is full of infinite reasons, that were never in experience.

>La sapienza è figliola della sperienzia.
Wisdom is the daughter of experience.

Also, Bloom featured his Notebooks into his Canon.

Thank you, now I understand. For the next time, though, you should say "his epistemological thought", because "his epistemology" doesn't make any sense.

Also, we don't need Retarded Bloom to know Leonardo was a great writer

The official tier ranking goes Michelangelo > Raphael > Donatello > da Vinci

* Michelangelo > Da Vinci > Raphael > Donatello

>"his epistemology" doesn't make any sense.
It doesn't?

I just base myself on what I read all the time in English works of and essays in philosophy, for instance:

>Plato's ethics is inseparable from his epistemology.
plato.stanford.edu/entries/plato-metaphysics/

Painting is superior though.

If more people had any idea of the hierarchy of genres I bet there wouldn't be this retarded love of 19th century oils amongst anti-moderns on Veeky Forums

Well at least you put Michelangelo first.

>Epistemology: a branch of philosophy that investigates the origin, nature, methods, and limits of human knowledge.
Maybe I shouldn't talk because I'm not an English native speaker, but "Plato's epistemology" sounds wrong to me, because epistemology is the general field, the comprehensive discipline. I'd say "Plato's epistemological thought/view" or, more simply, "Platonic epistemology".

Always that.

"Epistemological thought" or "philosophical thought" are redundant.

Whatever do philosophy and its branches like epistemology consist of, if not thought?

t. baited hard

Not good literature, no, but some of his observational studies are interesting.

>Leonardo the Vinchi
>Leonardo had no surname in the modern sense – "da Vinci" simply meaning "of Vinci"; his full birth name was "Lionardo di ser Piero da Vinci", meaning "Leonardo, (son) of (Mes)ser Piero from Vinci".[12] The inclusion of the title "ser" indicated that Leonardo's father was a gentleman.

you're wrong

>profoundly stupid claims of painting's superiority over all the other art forms.
This was a normal sort of argument to make up to the 19th century. Think of Nietzsche and music.

It requires a clear distinction between types of media and the whole material lifestyles that come with them that no longer exists in an era where most creatives work on a laptop, so of course it seems perverse now.

You're thinking of Michelangelo

woah woah woah user.

>listening to Kanye West
who cares, he's a nigga.

>make out with dogs
bitches need lovin.

>visit Thai ladyboys
...you wouldn't fuck a trap?
...you wouldn't visit Thailand to get a hot woman to degrade herself for money through being fucked silly by several ladyboys, recording it on video and selling it?
where the fuck is your sense of propriety?

>reading self-help books
they're basically the dumbshit's guide to finance, pretending you had a good upbringing, cheaper than psychiatrists, and include basics of psychology and philosophy. damn right i'm gonna gain a few more brain cells by analyzing the works those books' authors (or their mentors) were ultimately influenced by.