About to quit my job (pic related). AMA

About to quit my job (pic related). AMA

Attached: 3m.png (1280x683, 30K)

Why are you quitting?

is this you again?

Attached: 1521747895466.jpg (750x750, 63K)

Why? 3M seems pretty based. If I wanted to to think of an ideal conglomerate then it'd be 3M based on what they create

How many unvested RSUs are you waving goodbye too?

i am a chemist doing product dev for med devices

company is silo'ed AF, culture is moving away from science focus to money focus

managers don't care about making the best product we can, simply being first to market

managers making huge decisions based on weak data, even when researchers are telling them the data is weak

overly dependent on temps, meaning FT employees spend a third of their year training their temp assistant or "tech aide" only to have them leave after 8 months

bouncing around 3 offers rn, 2 of which offered signing bonuses bigger than the RSU loss

I'm guessing you've got your PhD? Do you actually do much chemistry anymore?

It's really hard to avoid the silo/information hoarding at large companies. Tesla is the only place I've worked where this doesn't happen for the most part. The secret is for every single team to have such ridiculous goals that hoarding/job justification/manager structure just goes out the window and everyone is just doing everything possible just to get things done. Need 100% open communication too, no "go to your manager, then he can contact the team lead, then he can go to project manager" and whatnot.

What was your salary?

just under 6 figures total comp

no phd, chemistry all day every day

What do you mean by silo'd?

No PhD and just under 6 figures? BS. If true though, that sounds awesome.

What're rsu's?

Material chemistry?

When you work for a publicly traded company you typically get a stock bonus when hired, plus more for performance incentives. Let's say you get $20k worth of stock as a bonus. You can't just cash it out, it vests over years. It may vest over a 5 year period, where you get 20% of that bonus vested each year. But then the next year you get another bonus. It disincentivizes you from leaving since if you stay you will get more of the stock/money you earned in the past, especially if the stock has gone way up since you got hired, if you were early in the company you can easily have $100k+ of stock you would have to walk away from if you quit.

synthetic organic

PhD would be ~130+ in the same role here. Pretty easy to get up to six figures without one in 3M. Then they'll buy you a masters and give you a raise

Where do you live? I barely have a high school diploma and make that, but I'm in SF bay so obviously the cost of living is very high causing a wage offset.

google:
The Silo Mentality as defined by the Business Dictionary is a mindset present when certain departments or sectors do not wish to share information with others in the same company.

>thinks you can't make 100k without a PhD

Attached: libed.jpg (225x225, 12K)

This is chemistry not finance or CS

do some undergrad research and publish once or twice and everyone will treat you like you have a masters

what a weeb, anyone here is qualified to do your job and will take a pay cut just do get picked

sage