Hey, Veeky Forums

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

Hey, Veeky Forums. I tried evaluating this integral using trig sub, but it didn’t work. Can someone tell me why? (This is not a homework question, I just had a doubt)

Attached: 55EB99E5-DEE2-4687-8DCD-F758ED014536.jpg (1.61 MB, 4032x3024)

idontknow
idontknow

bump.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

If you look closely there's a solution and explanation right below the question. Hope this helps!

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

I know, but I wanted to try it out with trig substitution and it didn’t work out. I don’t want to know the solution, I want to know why trig sub doesn’t work

Skullbone
Skullbone

And what trig substitution are you going to use for that?

Evilember
Evilember

I have this Phillips head screw and the right screwdriver right here, but I really want to use a wrench. Why won't it work?

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

square root x = tan^2 (theta)

You can get answers with more than one method. That's not a very good analogy.

farquit
farquit

Ur implying math is consistent

Attached: IMG-0720.jpg (274 KB, 657x527)

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

it's not in the right form to use a trig sub. now go post this on /wsr/ or something. one calc II problem isn't really worth a thread

cum2soon
cum2soon

OP here. I just checked and trig sub does work. It gives you a different function, but the resulting graph is the same in both cases.

Emberburn
Emberburn

I got this result for your sub:
[math] \sqrt{x}= \tan^2 \theta[/math]
gives you the integral of
[math] \sin^3 \theta \cos \theta~d \theta[/math]

SniperWish
SniperWish

thats the problem, at this point you have to use a u-sub anyway, so why not just use it to begin with instead of a trig sub

Lunatick
Lunatick

just a demonstration of what Grandpa used to say:
there is more than one way to skin a cat

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

OP here. That's what I got. The final answer is sin^4 (theta)

It probably sounds weird, but its easier for me this way

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

The final answer is sin^4 (theta)
That's not the final answer though. How do you intend to bring this back into terms of [math]x[/math]?

Illusionz
Illusionz

x/((1 + sqrtx)^2)?

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

You're saying [math] \int \frac{dx}{(1+\sqrt x)^3} = \sin^4 \theta[/math]. Your final answer shouldn't be in terms of [math] \theta [/math] when the question is in terms of [math]x[/math].

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

I know, I phrased it wrong. My bad.

TreeEater
TreeEater

why the fuck would you simplify with trig?
just use x = u^2 to get it to be 2u/(1+u)^3, then add 0 = 2 - 2, getting (2u + 2)/(1+u)^3 - 2/(1+u)^3, which simplifies to 2/(1+u)^2 - 2/(1+u)^3. Then use the substitution u = w - 1 to get 2/w^2 - 2/w^3, from there, its absolutely basic
i have no idea why anybody would use trig on this problem

happy_sad
happy_sad

See:

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

It's not a homework problem because I SAID SO!
Fuck off, nigger.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit