Help

I have a problem I never though I'd have: choosing between top grad schools. I know I have no right to complain about my situation but I don't know what to do.

I'm choosing between Stanford physics PhD and MIT EECS PhD. What does Veeky Forums think about electrical engineering vs physics? I want to go into academia, not industry.

I am unsure about whether I'd like to do experimental condensed matter physics or atomic physics. My background is in quantum information but I don't think I'll continue on that route.

I'm --much-- more partial towards getting a PhD in physics, but MIT is slightly better than Stanford at both physics and EE. MIT also has better name recognition and it will be easier to make connections which is important for postdocs.
On the other hand, Stanford has lab rotations which makes choosing between atomic physics and condensed matter easier (MIT basically locks you in with an advisor once you've chosen and they don't let you switch subfields). Additionally, MIT makes it more difficult to work with physics faculty as an EECS student whereas Stanford lets you work with anyone you want.
I also received a 2 yr fellowship at Stanford and only a 9 mo fellowship at MIT.

It seems like Stanford is a better fit for my mental health, my unsure-ness about AMO vs CM and finances, but MIT has better research, connections and name recognition.

Any thoughts?

Attached: stanfordvsmit.jpg (960x438, 33K)

I should also mention, the number of people I would want to work with at Stanford is more than at MIT, but the degree to which I want to work with the people at MIT is higher than at Stanford.

I will never be in your shoes. I worked my ass off just to get into a physics phd program at a state college. However, I can tell you that you already have your answer. You want to study physics not EE. So, there is no question.

stanford for physics

getting a phd in physics is more prestigious, phd engineers don't get paid that much more, but with a physics phd from stanford you can get paid (literally) 300k starting on wall street

I was just at MIT's visiting weekend (albeit for a different engineering subject), but I was much more impressed by them than Stanford. The grad students seemed like they enjoyed the school and weren't just putting on an act for the prospectives. It seemed like a really great, collaborative environment to work.

But I don't want to go into industry. I don't care about money as long as I have enough to live comfortably.

Which engineering at MIT, if I may ask? Also, did you visit stanford for engineering or physics?

This is the most straightforward answer and it's hard to argue with it.

ChemE. I went to Stanford too.

study math you fucking faggot

I don't like math. I don't care about how well structured the reasoning is when proving something.
I'm only interested in things I can observe, whether or not it makes sense.

Stanford ChemE or physics?

I will say I like MIT's EE visit. I mean, I LOVED Stanford's visit but I was surprised about MIT. I had heard that they all seemed miserable and overworked but I didn't get that impression at all.

awww, bet it's a lot of the latter for you

ChemE for both. I didn't have as strong of a research fit at Stanford, so I wasn't too into the school. Obviously the school is amazing though.

I agree with what you said about MIT though, everybody there was really normal. I think the undergrad and grad students have a much different culture, but the stigma of the school is the undergrad one. I was personally very impressed by MIT, even more than I thought I would be.

I never understood the elitism a lot of mathematicians have for their field. Most physics and math friends I have aren’t like this at all because they’ve done both.
You act like physicists never considered math as a career. I did just as well in my math classes as I did in my physics classes, I just got bored with doing things like showing that a particular set was compact, or if a space was hausdorff, or what contour to use to solve a complex integral. To me those were steps in order to get to an interesting result that had physical meaning.
My mathematician friends, on the other hand, much preferred the actual calculations and logic behind each step.

But neither of us shit on each other’s respective fields. We both get what the other is doing but prefer the day-to-day life of what we chose.

You sound like a first-year engineering major who thinks engineering is the only major. The kind that thinks they’re good at math because they got an A in a differential equations course but has never taken a proof-based class. To me, this kind of elitism just screams out that you’ve either never taken a physics course or you did but failed horribly in it because you couldn’t wrap your head around how to do physics.

>faggot
Why the homophobia?

Stanford. Maybe biased, but electrical engineering is fucking bland compared to physics. Go for something that interests you as a career, rather than what other people think is prestigious. Your talent will win you recognition in the long run, not where you got your PhD.

MIT. Seriously, MIT.

name matters plenty, but if you do shit work cause you're miserable and hate who you work with/what you work on you're gonna be shit. Everything you said is right, but you'd kinda be retarded to go to a marginally more well regarded department at the cost of happiness and hence willingness to do YOUR best work.

MIT #1 at EE & Physics
Stanford #3 at Physics #2 at EE

Is there such huge noticeable difference among these 2 top3 Unis?

>300k
> on wall street
Why would a financial institution hire physics ppl and pay them 300k?

It sounds like your interests are in academy. Choose physics every time.

go to stanford. you already listed the reasons why, and the lab rotation will likely turn out to be great in the long run.

Don't feel bad, you've already made it really far and that's an accomplishment in itself. As someone who's an undergrad though, why do you feel you will never be in OP's shoes? I thought that undergrads from all institutions that aren't complete shit are at an equal footing when applying to grad school.
Sorry to be that guy, but the above guy's sentiment now has me asking; where did you do your undergrad?