/Whiskey/ thread

What are you all drinking?

Laphroaig Quarter Cask, as usual.

This is my first time noticing it, but why does it have a “Best before” date?

Mmh hmm really hits the spot.

Maybe it'll eat through the container eventually.

Peppermint tea. I want beer and not drinking is making me frustrated but I'm trying to be better to my body.

Just a small serving left of this beauty

me too, my favorite whiskey right now. I don't even drink rye normally but FRSB has the perfect amount of spice and flavor for me.

I want to get into high end bourbon like this since i don't drink as much as often. What are your impressions of this? Any other recommendations?

If you like a more rye forward/"spicy" bourbon, you'd like this one.

I'd recommend going to a local bar that has a good whiskey list and asking the bartender for suggestions. Much better to taste a few different bourbons before jumping into a bottle you might not like.

Failing that, Buffalo Trace has a pretty similar taste profile and is cheaper than 4 Roses Single Barrel.

Ah, ok. I'm rural so the closest bar is quite a drive. Not sure they would have this level of bourbon either.

I prefer the slightly sweet bourbons; brown suger, vanilla, and oak like notes.

essential /sweet/ whiskey?

My cheap favorite right here. Got in on a whim with a buddy and it's our jam. Bourbon are smooth naturally but this stuff is like butter to a liver. I tried with a raspberry tea and I think some lemonade from a food truck. Blew my dick right into space

Forgot image since I'm a fail

What is the smoothest bourbon you guys have ever tasted?

Finally opened my bottle of Lagavulin 16

Just opened a bottle of this.

Drinking some Laphroaig 10. Only got that and a bottle of Highland Park 12, but hoping to start getting a small whisky stock going.

Need to buy more though before I end up fishing what I already got.

just got a bottle of this.............really nice, not harsh at all

>Spells whisky correctly

Interesting. I wonder why.

>Need to buy more though before I end up fishing what I already got.

This is the problem. I bought a house recently and I have a nice corner in my room that I intended to put a whiskey cabinet in to look and feel fancy, but I dont fancy spending hundreds all in one go to get a collection and If I buy bottles one at a time I always finish a bottle before buying the next.

Buy a couple at a time

My personal favorite

My goal is to just buy a new bottle when the ones I have start reaching half full.

My income is rather sporadic but a bottle every week would be ideal.
Just sucks that the selection in my town in Norway is terrible and the prices are rather steep.

brandy is better

Got it for cheap, it's aright.

Is Bulleit worthwhile? It's on sale and already fairly cheap

I enjoyed their bourbon. Never had anything really top shelf outside of a cocktail to compare it to though

Is Wild Turkey 101 a good bourbon for the price? Looking for some reasonably priced whiskey or bourbon for a present.

Was looking at either the turkey or Buffalo Trace

My first ever bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel, which I shared with a friend, Agreed that it was the best we'd ever tasted. Bought many more since, but never come close again.

WT101 is great for the price. Buffalo Trace would probably make the better gift though.

Drinking plain ol' Jameson. One of the smoother whiskeys out there, which can be good or bad depending on your tastes.

fucking delicious. favorite bourbon I've had so far.

I've got the opposite problem. I need to drink more before I continue adding to my stock.

that's what first got me into whisk(e)y. Nothing wrong with it but I do find it rather bland now. Still a nice gateway drink

Crown Royal Black.

Let's just say, I like being BLACKED.

Nip "Whiskey" is an overrated novelty.

It's good for a little nip.

Evan Williams has been my go to whiskey for years now. When I was in college and a few years after I just pissed my money away on jack Daniels and their superb marketing.

My local liquor joint recently raised the price of 1.75 liter Evan from $24 to $27 the bastards. It's still a steal over the ridiculous jack price

Yes, but how about whiskey?

I've always been scared to buy Evan Williams because it looks like a knockoff of JD and I don't like JD.

Used to love Jameson, also the first whisky I bought and actually enjoyed. Now I find it way too sweet.

>BLENDED AND PACKAGED IN SIERRA LEONE

Is that a refurbished antifreeze jug? What the fuck.

It's my first time trying out islay whisky, I like it.

Same ingredients, different label.

Try Ardbeg at some point, if you get the chance. You won't regret the experience. So much peat, user. So much peat.

Tastes like trees

It tastes like nature, specifically the nature of Islay, which I find to be a sublime experience.

alright you fucks educate me. Every hard liquor I've ever tried including whiskey tastes like alcohol only. Whatever flavor they've got underneath I can not detect. Even in beers, the alcohol flavor is so strong it's hard for me to discern an actual taste, it's all basically the same alcoholy flavor to me. This makes me think people who talk about how certain brands of booze are better than others are just kidding themselves, but because taste is subjective I know it may also be a localized problem to me. If it is a localized problem only for me, how do I get rid of it? Is it because I have a virgin tongue because I don't drink or what? Am I doing something wrong? Should I stand on my head, take a sip and aerate it right after making a blood sacrifice of my first child to dionysus? What's the secret to enjoying alcohol?

All of my life I was looking forward to trying and enjoying alcohol, and now that it's available I feel like I've been tricked.

The trick is to put the alcohol out of your mind as best you can and actively search for what flavors you're getting that aren't alcohol. Give it some time. Keep trying things.

>Is it because I have a virgin tongue because I don't drink or what?
this, and also could be you're not drinking quality shit
try some pricier scotch, maybe a 40 dollar bottle like Pig Nose or Isle of Skye, for something a bit more complex. It still may not taste good to you, but I think it will be better
if you truly just want to enjoy it, you'll probably have to mix it

>Is it because I have a virgin tongue because I don't drink or what?
It's probably this, when I first started drinking I could only get into sweeter things like ciders and it took a few months before I could enjoy other beers and even longer for liquor.

Not at home rn only pic I have with my whiskey in it.
For context, it's one of my friend's boosters latest haul. Paid about 70 bucks for everything. The EJ was pretty good, as was the Jameson. The rest of the whiskey was meh.

about to polish off this one. for 30 burgerbux it was a really nice bottle. ready for something new.

>Paid about 70 bucks for everything.
wut. did he buy it from the trunk of a Chevy Impala?

He said he got it from a booster. That means it was stolen and shuffled off to be sold under market value and make some cash. Do you think he got it from Big Bill's House O' Discount Liquor?

ten high. surprised more people dont actually drink it desu

That's illegal!

no no no, user just bought a bag from somebody for seventy bucks and it just happened to contain all those bottles. no crime involved!

My friend who I shall not name bought it all from a sketchy tweaker who then made a private sale to yours truly. Illegal? Probably. Sketchy? Definitely.

Honestly a little overpriced for how it is. Even like the Indiana MGP rye qyuite a bit more. Still 50% and cheap enough that I don't feel bad for getting fucked up on it so...

I remember I gave my boyfriend some Laphroig on our romantic weekend and he kissed me

have you tried rum?

Also, forty creek is one of the sweetest whiskys I've had. Maybe you'd like to try it.

thoughts? Ive seen it in my liquor store but never thought to buy it.

Lads, is Jim beam actually good or is it just a meme? What about the variants it offers? I always just end up getting Makers mark lol

If you're starting out you HAVE to add a small bit of water to whisky. Every bartender will tell you this.
Also DO NOT TRY SCOTCH
scotch is the strongest form of whisky, try a mid price ($35-45) blended whisky first. Pour in the glass and swirl it for a bit just so it aerates, then take a small sip on the tip of your tongue and let it dissolve. Then add a Small bit of water, enough to reduce the burning but not that flavor.

After about a week, you will start to notice flavors you hadn't before. Caramel, citrus, and oak are all parts that are noticeable and delicious.

Red Stag black cherry and Red Stag spiced are pretty decent. Jim Beam double aged is alright well whisky.

Fellow scotchbros unite. Just got me some Glenfiddich 18, gonna sip on some of that.

How is Glenfiddich so fucking amazing?

Dalwhinnie

>drink glenlivet 12 for years
>mfw glenfiddich 18

For a bourbon beginner, would Buffalo Trace, Bulleit Orange, Wild Turkey 101 or Maker's Mark be the best choice? Not much experience in whiskey overall

Anyone tried this one? It seems kind of interesting.

Every bar on the planet has Maker's. It's the standard in every whisky cocktail in general excluding scotch.

But is it a good starting point for bourbon? I'm not counting JB or JD because I hear that shit is piss

Yeah, definitely. A lot of people consider it to be one of best starting points. I like it enough to buy a bottle every couple months. Tasty and well priced.

Up until like 2015, they only sold one bottle. Then they started selling the Makers 46, and Cask Strength. But its original bottle is still iconic and loved.

See

I doubt that's something I can just go grab in the store here in Denmark, unlike the ones i named

>tasty and well-priced
If I want to taste metals and chemicals, there are more cost-effective ways to do it.

honestly any of them would be fine. maybe not WT101 just because it's a little higher proof

this one. currently thinking about making homemade wine

Funny thing, in sweden you will have to pay atleast 20$ for that bottle. Because "if it cost more ppl will drink less"...

I thought the reason you had to pay that much was because you had to import it, and as such pay taxes on both the alcohol and pay for shipping. Since they don't stock that junk here.

had this with an espresso and some dark chocolate after dinner

fucking yanks bringing the heat

They have to pay for their importing. but it's not the alcohol making it expensive.

>Because "if it cost more ppl will drink less"...
This is true though, at least for me.

I'm doing a bit of searching and the largest price difference I've been able to found is about 10 bux between the US and systembolaget when looking at the cheapest bourbons, though it doesn't even seem to be the same bottles. It's hard to find good online retailers when comparing them. The prices within all of Europe seem to be generally similar for whichever whiskey.

And that price difference is keeping in mind that all of it has to be imported from overseas, which is expensive as fuck.

Nice if i'm on a budget, but i usual prefer the black barrel version.

Definitely different. Not going to be a favorite, but it is enjoyable. Lots of vanilla and citrus. The fact that it has no caramel notes bothers me.

Excellent taste, my good Sir. Enjoy!

If you can find the old bottling it is going to be fucking great (creamy, lots of fruit, honey and toffee), the 2017 "Viking Pride" bottling isn't quite as good, but still enjoyable.

Woodford Reserve tastes too good and I say this as Crown Royal Apple binger. Tired of emptying a $50 bottle every week this is basically all I drink anymore.

I've been drinking lots of Famous Grouse.

Welcome, brother.

>30 burgerbux
Lucky. That's 60 seal clubs in Canada

disgusting, so much fucking sugar in this shit

What's a good rum you'd recommend to start out? I usually drink buffalo trace