Rate my birthday haul Veeky Forums

Rate my birthday haul Veeky Forums

4/10

Not familiar with the top one, but not bad bad overall.

You won't read all of it.

Also

>softcovers
pleb

This is the perfect "you will never read them" book haul

Just finished Gravity's Rainbow the other day, and I have a job that allows me to read 2-4 hours a day don't see why you think I won't read them unless you're projecting

i believe you

>secondary literature

It's just a shitty book about Athens in the day and age of Socrates. Mostly for entertainment and supplemental

why wouldn't i be projecting?

Some people on Veeky Forums like to pretend that they read

Pathetic and pretentious

>calling things pretentious on a literature board

this

They are all very good books but you should design for yourself a more focused curriculum instead of just reading meme tome after meme tome.

Obviously the whole "start with the Greeks" thing is a bit absurd, you don't have to go that far, but say you read up on older classics and authors instead of just reading one postmodern doorstopper after another: that would be a good idea.

Heidegger's Being and Time, for instance, might be worth doing some homework for. Hegel, Heidegger, Nietzsche, Husserl, etc. etc. are all important authors I would look into before attempting such a work.

Pynchon as well is probably best tackled after reading modernist 20th century novels.

>you should design for yourself a more focused curriculum instead of just reading meme tome after meme tome
Fucking this

Why is this the only edition of V. I can find?

Making a curriculum would take 1. effort, which kids these days seem to think they can't afford to exert even the slightest amount of, and 2. time, which kids these days seem to think they don't have

I've finished Being and Time's introduction and I think I've got a handle on it. Been taking notes and looking up interpretations and shit.

the Pynchon boat has already sailed, I just finished Gravity's Rainbow and got that readers guide to figure out wtf exactly was going on, even tho I enjoyed the book.

As for right now I'm gonna read Russel's history, specifically the pre-socratics, then I got the five dialogues on deck and then probably aristotle

why are you doing this?

I've got one, these were just books I found today, not necessarily what I'm going to read soon.

Please upload a digital copy of that reader's guy

*guide

Postmodern Doorstopper would be a good band name

It was in a fucking special section of Half priced bookstore like roped off and I'm not sure why since it wasn't that expensive. Is it hard to find?

What do you mean?

why do you read what you do?

>Is it hard to find?
I don't know because I don't live in an English country. I'd like to read it tho

I'm a nerd. And one of my favorite classes in college was my philosophy class so I want to get back into that..

As for literature I wasn't into it much until I read IJ and some Franzen (IK IK t. Pseud) but that made me realize how great literature could be.

Why do you read what you read?

pls shut up

>I'm a nerd.
omg kill yoursell

>reads introduction
>thinks he has a handle on it
No. No, you don't. You really, really don't.

if u read being and time youll learn that im constantly projecting

Not the whole book but the laying out the question of being and the ontico-ontilogical priority of dasein
Will do pal

0.8/10

i got a polo from my parents

milf at work went out and got me a makers mark box. that was nice of her

Why are you guys being so mean to him? It's obvious he reads because he wants to gain pleasure and knowledge. It's okay if he doesn't go by the "western academic way". He's not a humanities academic.

Anyway, OP, I think it's great, even if I wonder what you're going to understand of Heidegger. I mean, he's really difficult, and I hope you know your philosophy if you want to understand any of it.

if you read them all and truly absorb their message, your life will become much richer for it.

happy birthday!

6/10

The best are Yeats and Plato.

most of them will sit with uncreased spined on your shelf for eternity/10

>heidegger
I guess your loved ones want you to be retarded

happy birthday user enjoy the books

if you haven't read kant there's literally no point for you in reading B+T. Take it from someone who was taught being and time in a course without reading kant, reading kant, and then rereading b+t and realizing that all of my thoughts were completely unformed. Not to mention that Hegel and Neech are also really important

I really enjoyed Socrates parts of The Hemlock Cup. My only complaints are when the author goes on that tirade about a female figure from the time. It takes up at least a fifth of the book.

Why would you buy paperbacks? They suck.

happy bday :)

Is today your birthday OP? Happy birthday, mine was yesterday.
pic related

ah yes, the old kijdeezdaze

jesus christ, i can't believe you think that anyone would want to listen to you speak words. you're like the aggregate of all 17 year olds

>W.B.Yeats, DFW
Has there ever been more mediocrity condensed in one photo?

Uh, and no one cares about your birthday

do you feel superior now, bud?

how old are you? 10? XD
my parents made me read all those books before my 6th birthday

JR is fun. Enjoy OP

Kek, you're going to read about 100 pages of all of them then get another book haul.

>J R by Gaddis

you did well lad

Pretty FUCKING solid, my main man

get outta here u hothead

kys op

you should try this board

How is it possible to dislike based yeats?

He didn't say he dislikes Yeats, he said the user who posted the picture is mediocre, which is true. I would have even said "a memeboi"

Ok, phew!

Does Being and Time really change the way people think and inspire them, or do people just read it because they hear that it'super tough to understand?

The latter, on here at least. Being and Time is a really dense and tediously complex book analyzing the history of philosophy. For some reason, probably from its grandiose title, people must think it contains the super secrets of life, instead of being the incredibly tedious german philosophical treatise that it is.

What if I just read for fun? for the beauty of language and the wonder of the story? do i really need to treat it like a school project?

There is no dichotomy in your question. People can read it because it sounds difficult and then once they have read it become inspired by it.

It is clearly more than an analysis of the history of philosophy

A lot of used bookstores have a "beat literature" section that is either behind or near the counter. They do this because these books are frequently stolen.

Cool stack user. I really need to get around to reading JR.

I know people in this thread are memeing, but I unironically rate your haul 9/10, I'd be very proud of it myself.

Those are the most important dialogues, and the best ones to start with. Pynchon with a reader's guide will be perfect - though you'll want one for V. I've been looking to find myself a copy of The Great Chain of Being, but from what I've heard it should give you a really great understanding of real philosophy. Being and Time will be challenging, and you're a bit of a pleb for reading a translation, but that's ok. Yeats is based af.

Tell your mom she did okay.

That's me, it is too easier to just pretend that I read and still roll you guys when you disagree with me. Been here since the beginning and still haven't read a single book.

Being & Time is a lot of fun, hope you enjoy it and realize Heidegger is always right

how's my birthday pile? too many memes i guess

I want to read Evola, but his weird sex stuff makes me think he was just a shitposter

So was Kierkegaard but he's mostly well regarded anyway

It looks like an amalgamation of some works brought up in the last couple of weeks' threads on Veeky Forums. Do you really have such a lack of independence?

I think we have similar likes. Just got the same copy of V today actually. Made a thread about it earlier.

philosophy rules, my man. rock on cold hearted woman

>Gestalt therapy
>buying self-help ''''''literature''''''

happy birthday

Your family thinks you're the biggest pseud, believe me.

it's a good way to find source material. I learned about pic related from it, very interesting book