Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums.

I was wondering if you could help me with some recommendations for my boyfriend. I've always enjoyed literature myself, and reading has been a big part of my life. However, I enjoy quite heavy literature, and at the moment, I mostly read about the modern breakthrough scandinavian literature and Russian existentialism.

My boyfriend has not once voluntarily read a book in his life. I feel like he's missing out, but I know breaking out Pontoppidan or Chekov won't spark an interest. I'm thinking something simple and easy that a 19 year old would enjoy. He likes quite goofy movies, is interested in politics and I think he'd enjoy something like Harry Potter. While I enjoy Harry Potter, I'd like something that wasn't a children's book - mostly because he's opposed to it. Any recommendations for my manchild pleb boyfriend, guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

sevaj.dk/kharms/stories/thething.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I meant the modern breakthrough in Scandinavian litterature. Should it seem a bit obscure and pretentious, I'm Scandinavian myself and it's curriculum everywhere.

It's very interesting and I can recommend Herman Bang and Amalie Skram in particular.

>Russian existentialism.
Dostoevsky is for teenagers, and he writes goofy comedies. Don't be such a pleb faggot, we can't see how cute your ass is in chaps, and Dostoevsky is entry level Russian existentialism.

Anyone can enjoy Chekhov. Also, find a new boyfriend.

Work on yourself first lol.

Pratchett Discworld for the pleb option. Or some of those comic books that are heavier on the writing and easily lead to lit, like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. If not retarded, some of Gogol's short stories, or Calvino, or Kafka's funniest novel (The Castle), all gateway reading.

DFW. And also, dump his ass. You know you're too smart for him and it'll happen soon anyway. Do yourself the favor and save some time

I did read Dostoevsky in my teens! I still enjoy Russian existentialism. Recommendations would be nice.

Oh well. Any recommendations? I read a lot more than what I mentioned here, I'm quite fond of Portuguese and Japanese literature too.

Thank you! I was thinking of the Castle too. Perhaps also introducing him to some graphic novels. One of my favorite artists, Robert Crumb, has illustrated one about Kafka. It's great.

I'm aware, thank you. Thing is that I don't think he'd enjoy it as an introduction to litterature. I'm also quite fond of him, despite not exactly being an intellectual. We can learn from each other. He's smart in other ways.

He's smart in other ways, he's just more mathematical while I enjoy literature and philosophy. I must admit that I was quite shocked that he's never read fiction voluntarily, but in my sad experience, few men I meet actually take an active interest in literature.

>I did read Dostoevsky in my teens! I still enjoy Russian existentialism. Recommendations would be nice.
>I read Dostoevsky and I don't know which ones are comedies
Give him The Idiot.

I suppose Notes from Underground and Crime and Punishment can be considered satire. I think he often combined comedy, fantasy, symbolism, adventure and drama, but I don't think he wrote comedies. It can be a language barriere, as English isn't my first language.

I meant recommendations for 'non entry level' Russian existentialism for myself. I doubt that my boyfriend would enjoy The Idiot as his first introduction to litterature. While I don't think Dostojevskij is particularly heavy, I think he'd enjoy something lighter to start with.

It could be you haven't read much of him and don't understand his jokes either.
>English isn't my first language
It wasn't Dostoevsky's either.

You need to read entry level shit like Dostoevsky too. Give your bf The Idiot and you go read his comedy The Village of Stepanchikovo of which you will understand nothing except the shipping.

I have nearly read everything Dostoyevsky, so no thank you. Dostojevskij had the advantage of communicating and writing in his own language, which was later translated. I've read The Village of Stepanchikovo, which I guess is structured like a comedy, but I didn't quite enjoy it. I believe it was intended to be a play, and I prefer his novels like The Brothers Karamazov.

As I said, I don't think my boyfriend would enjoy The Idiot. What about not recommending an author you consider 'entry level shit' - that I have noted that I have read - and recommending me something that you consider good Russian existentialism instead? That would be more constructive.

I recommend you break up with him lol. Reading won't change him from being a manchild, but maybe something like a breakup would

>I don't think my boyfriend would enjoy The Idiot
Well, you also think Village of Stephanchikovo isn't a comedy, so I wouldn't rely on what you think tbph.

No one can enjoy Uncle Vanya

I don't understand everyone either criticizes my taste in literature or my relationship (most interestingly the later, as no one apart from has bothered to recommend me something that isn't 'entry level shit' according to themself. Seems like people on Veeky Forums wants to make other people feel bad about their taste while not contributing to what could improve it.

Anyway, as I said, he's 19, so I don't think anything will change him being a bit of a man child. I think he's very intelligent, just not in the humanistic field. I haven't really met any men my age interested in literature.

Recommending Daniil Kharms ("today I wrote nothing) or Ubu Roi by Alfred Jarry

Huh? I said it was structured like a comedy, just that I didn't enjoy it as much as his other works.

I find it odd that you're so quick to criticize my taste, but refuse to share what you consider to be 'non entry level' Russian existentialism. I'd love some recommendations on some authors, but you don't seem to have any?

Written by a mathematician. Humour based on troll logic, which math types tend to like.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I'll check it out - although I think it's more for me than for my boyfriend :)

Der er kun ét 't' i literature på engelsk, din fucking cunt.

Stik Lykke-Per op i dit rovhul

Thank you, I love Through the Looking Glass, but hadn't even thought of it. He's having a bit of a hard time with his exams, so I think he'd really like relaxing with some fiction. It's perfect, I appreciate it!

sevaj.dk/kharms/stories/thething.htm
Here are some stories by him. I don't know what you mean by your bf being into politics that could mean very different things regarding literature you know?

seems like you're not into Russian existentialism enough to understand books schools give to teenagers. that's a legitimate problem if you're telling a literature board you read a lot and high level shit. nobody's going to believe you about that or your bf being beneath your league.

Nej, der har vi en sur forsmået lille mand! Dejlige danske Veeky Forums-segment. Jeg skriver fra min mobil, der konsekvent retter 'literature' til litteratur'. Der er ikke noget der hedder 'cunt' på dansk, hvad med noget god gammeldags pli? Har man lidt ondt i numsen over ikke selv at have en kæreste, oder was?

That's a very weird mentality to have, it just seems like you genuinely don't know other authors than Dostovjevskij since you refuse to mention a single one. How can you say I don't understand him, just because I say I didn't enjoy
The Village of Stepanchikovo and that I considered his works more satiric than direct comedies? It just seems like he's the only author you know and you want to troll. Isn't it a bit embarrassing for you?

I never said that my boyfriend is 'beneath' my league, just that I enjoy reading for pleasure, and he hasn't been into it.

also Ratner's Star may be up his alley. It's dense and literary though, but is entirely a satire about logicians, scientists, and mathematicians based on Alice

>Any recommendations?
The Greeks.

[obligatory "On Women post]

In all seriousness though, I too am baffled why you would be with someone like that, and it is probably far too late for him. Is he just the perfect Dionysian or something? In any case, beyond the obvious suggestions for adolescents (e.g. Catcher in the Rye—although he may not appreciate even that, if he is truly empty-headed), I guess it might help to know where he falls on the political spectrum. If he is somewhat more analytically minded, then the Republic is not a bad choice for anyone interested in the elements of governance. And Plato's works are always as much art as they are analysis, of course.

Hi, I forgot to reply to you, was a bit caught up with the troll. I usually enjoy Veeky Forums, so I'm a bit sad this thread apparently attracts trolls.

Thank you for your link, I will check it out. He has an active interest in politics on a theoretical and personal level. I thought he'd might enjoy Plato's Republic and The Prince by Machiavelli at a later point, but might find some Russian revolutionary lit or even some Orwell for him now.

>misunderstands dostoevsky
>misses all the goofball comedy, including all the famous gogol rip offs
>expects people to believe they understand more obscure existentialists
I guess you could branch out and try Camus, since that's a slightly less allusive and less demanding book than Dosto. Your boyfriend might well appreciate Dostoevsky's goofball comedy which most other people see across his minor works. You seem to only like the ones that aren't goofball comedies. Maybe it's you, not everyone else.

reading dosto is like choking on dust, no wonder she misses the references

>book
author. Try one of his short books.

Læs Gogol, så bliver du nok mere interessant, tomhovedet gås.

Thank you! I'm writing it down and will thoroughly research tomorrow, I really appreciate it. In relation to politics, his interest is theoretical and personal. I think he'd might enjoy Plato's Republic and Machiavelli's The Prince at a later point. Thinking of some Russian revolutionary literature or even some Orwell for him now.

I think an interest in literature is an arbitrary criteria for being a good person. He's just a very sweet, good-natured guy, and he does well academically. He's just not naturally interested in philosophy and literature, but it's not too late at 19.

The obligatory 'On Women' post doesn't really have anything to do with me. My boyfriend isn't empty-headed, and he's a great person. I have dated older men who are considered intellectuals and who know everything about literature. A lot of them have been manipulative and not that intelligent after all. It really depends on the person, not necessarily their interets. I think reading for many people is a privilege that not everyone gets to enjoy in their youth.

>won't give bf On Women
>will give bf Plato
lul wat?

what dose ur bfs butthole smells like, babbygrill??

I have read Camus, thank you. That's high school curriculum too, no? What about those interesting Russian existentialist authors that you mentioned? I can recommend them to my mother, she's probably more well read and complex than I.

I only read Dostovjevskij in Danish, so it might be the language barriere. I do enjoy most of his works.

Haha, tomhovedet gås - sig det til mit snit på 11,9, din bitre sorgelige jomfru. Smut hen til /r9k/ og tud :)

Homage to Catalonia by Orwell is practical. Theory I would recommend The Death Instinct by Jacques Mesrine

Dertil skal det siges, at jeg har læst Dode Sjæle. Hvad med at få dig et liv i stedet for at tilsvine kvinder på internettet, fordi du er bitter over ingen gider at gå i seng med dig? Ingen mænd der har et aktivt sexliv og et lykkeligt forhold - eller liv- sidder på Veeky Forums om natten og tilsviner kvinder. Har ondt af dig.

I was thinking about Homage to Catalonia too, we've spoken about the Spanish Civil War before, so I think it would interest him. Perhaps Animal Farm too for some light reading. Haven't heard of The Death Instinct before, I'll definitely check it out! I hope it's available in Danish as many people find it hard to read in other languages, even though things can be lost in translation.

>hvis nogen ikke konstant klapper mig på ryggen, så må de være små mænd, jomfruer og uden kæreste

Også
>tror at gymnasiesnit på 12 er imponerende og/eller en indikation på intelligens

Det kan du også snildt få på uni (det gjorde jeg), men det handler mere om, hvad du bruger det til. Uddannelsessystemet er så elendigt, at alle karakterer ikke betyder en skid længere.

Have you considered 1984/Brave New World?
That's what got me into literature. Maybe if he's kinda interested in science fiction, he'll like them. They're not hard to read either.
A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy could work too, if he likes that kind of humor

>wit
>humor
>scandinavians and germans

>Camus
They're giving you something easier than Dostoevsky. You probably want to stick to that because Camus isn't strictly existentialist. If you're 19 and didn't see the humour in basic existentialists, something like Shestov is just going to make you into an even worse person and probably make you manchildish rather than develop you. I don't see why you'd give it to your mother. The reasons you want it are probably more about being immature at 19 and it wouldn't be much consolation to her.

Jeg referer til - og går på - universitet.

Og jeg har det fint med, at folk ikke klapper mig på ryggen. Jeg snakker om, at du sidder kl 03:30 om natten på Veeky Forums og kalder en kvinde for en 'cunt' og en tomhjernet gås, fordi hun beder om litteraturanbefalinger til sin kæreste. Jeg synes det tyder på, at man er trist og bitter over sit liv. Hvorfor skulle man ellers have lyst til det?

I actually haven't read Hitchhikers guide yet, but I think he'd might enjoy it. I've already bought him 1984, hope he has time to read after his exams are over. Brave New World is a good recommendation too, thank you!

Wow you write English very well! I'm an American so I only know English and I treat it like shit. Mesrine was originally in French so idk. Also just get your bf to listen to Morrissey that's how I got into literature.

Jeg tilsviner ikke 'kvinder', din offermentalitetslidende sinke. Jeg kender mange kvinder, der er noget mere vel-verserede i litteratur end dig, og hvis betragtninger er uendeligt mere interessante end dine (og mine, givetvis).

Lad være med at tro, at når nogen stikker lidt til dig, så må det være fordi, de hader kvinder. Intet kunne være længere fra sandheden.
Jeg er desuden vågen, fordi jeg sidder og arbejder på min Ph.D. Jeg behover vel næppe antage, at du er så evnesvag, at du ikke er klar over din egen tilstedeværelse her på sitet.

Sig noget intelligent om Dode Sjæle eller hold din kæft.

I'm actually 22 and attend university, so there's no reason to be condescending. Camus was a part of my philosophy curriculum in my first year of high school, so it's not really necessary to explain.

I've never said I didn't find humour in basic existentialist, I said I considered satire instead of comedy. You don't see why I'd give book recommendations to my mother? She's the reason I got into Russian existentialism at a young age, so if you had some fantastic authors, why wouldn't I?

We spoke about Lev Shestov in relation to Nietzsche and Dostovjevskij too in philosophy in high school, so get off your high horse, dude.

No I've just been a manchild in a relationship before.

Og du sidder midt om natten og kalder ligeså en person, der stiller sig uenig med dine betragtninger, for en masse nedsættende ting.

Lad være at lege alt for skinhellig. Vil det give dig nydelse, hvis jeg siger, at jeg er meget utilfreds med mit liv? Så bor du nok reflektere over, hvad grunden til den sadistiske nydelse kan være. Det er nok lidet flatterende.

Du keder mig nu. Lad være at svare. Begynd at læse noget filosofi, det lyder som om, at dine anbefalinger til din kæreste er helt afmarcherede. Giv ham Descartes' Meditationer, så han får et indblik i moderne filosofi. Det er let læsning, og tilpas analytisk og interessant for den almene halv-interesserede-i-le-dybe-tanker pobel

Haha, bare det at du kalder tilfældige kvinder på internettet for 'offermentalitetslidende sinke' giver mig indtrykket af en 17-årig gymnasiedreng, der er så bitter på sine omgivelser - og at pigerne aldrig har givet ham opmærksomhed - at jeg får helt ondt af dig. Jeg har ikke givet nogle betragtninger omkring mine holdninger til litteratur - tråden handler om boganbefalinger til min kæreste.

Ingen voksen mand med respekt til kvinder sidder på Veeky Forums klokken lort om natten og kalder andre for 'cunts' - eller folk der skriver en Ph. D. for den sags skyld! Jeg ved godt du er en 17-årig gymnasiedreng med ondt i roven. Smut over til /r9k/ og græd over din sorgelige eksistens, putte.
Thank you! Haha, I love Morrissey too, I actually did get him into The Smiths, which he thankfully enjoys. He has a pretty shitty taste in music, but I got him into some alt rock and shoegaze, which is great. Now it's just about the literature!

I know how hard it is to attempt to get a non-reader into literature. I've bought my boyfriend tons of books that he refused to read, he's only liked Lovecraft so far. But for your boyfriend I'd probably go with something sci-fi-ish, or heavy on the dystopia. Maybe Brave New World or The Time Machine.

Haha, jeg var oppe i Descartes Meditationer over den forste filosofi i filosofi C på gymnasiet. Jeg fik 12. Jeg elsker at du starter ud med at kalde mig for en 'cunt', for så at beklage dig over jeg kalder dig for nedsættende ting. Det vil ikke give mig nydelse, jeg har blot ondt af dig.

Jeg er da fuldstændig ligeglad med, at jeg keder dig, du kan da bare smutte ud af min tråd. Jeg er her for at snakke med flinke folk der giver mig fine anbefalinger.

Hvis du tror en 19-årig der aldrig har interesseret sig for filosofi eller litteratur skal begynde med Descartes' Meditationer, så er det derudover dig der er afmarcheret. Mine anbefalinger afspejler ikke mine egne interesser. Jeg giver ham sgu da heller ikke Kritik af den rene fornuft når han aldrig har interesseret sig for Kant og erkendelsesteori.

It really is! It seems like some people associate it with being forced to read crappy fiction in school growing up, which is really unfortunate. I think everyone can find literature they enjoy at some point.

I definitely agree with Brave New World, and The Time Machine is a great science fiction recommendation. Thank you for your input!

your boyfriend will always be a moron, you will always be a tryhard.

post pictures of your unshaved asshole or, better yet, go to a healthier internet community with this cutesy "me, me, me" LARP thread bullshit.

>satire instead of comedy
I think you're trying not to lose face. I really do not think you want to be an existentialist, and I do think you believe you want to be one out of immaturity. Just smoke cigarettes, it is much easier and people can see it, and you can keep caring about saving face. Like user said, maybe you don't see the same things in Dostoevsky as other people do because you're just not that into what you think you are. He writes laugh out loud comedies about people who use the same approach as you to other people, and it's not favourable to your approach.

>why I'd give book recomm
It's strange because she would know of him if she were into it. It's also strange because you seem to think she has the same drives as you do, which is not a very existentialist way of regarding the relationship or recommendations.

>show me respect while I'm a dick
Really, user might have been right about you. I think you're lying about Shestov or your mother. I think you lie a lot about shit, and you think it improves your reputation. If you want to do that, existentialism is not the way to go.

I really appreciate some of the recommendations I've gotten here. If you don't have anything constructive to say, there's no reason for you to be in this thread. I don't necessarily think Veeky Forums is an unhealthy internet community, you just can't take the trolls too seriously.

I'll refrain from posting pictures of my asshole, this is a blue board afterall.

> I really do not think you want to be an existentialist
Huh? Firstly, I mentioned I thought it was satire instead of comedy, and a mix of a lot of genres in one of my very first replies. I do not consider myself an existentialist. I just enjoy reading existentialist works and Russian fiction. I never claimed I perceived myself or wanted to be an existentialist. What are you going on about?

> It's strange because she would know of him if she were into it.
I'm sorry, who would she know of? I said I'd recommend her authors if you had any great recommendations. She knows of Dostovjevskij and I'm sure she knows of Shestov.

>You're lying on Veeky Forums because it improves your reputation
Why would I lie about my mother's interest in literature to impress you? That's one of the weirdest claims I've read today. It says a lot about your relationship with literature you think people are lying because they know the same obscure authors as you do. You're not a special snowflake.

Can we get back to the topic?

>norrmän

*danskjävlar

abusing people who parade their identites on Veeky Forums is par for the course.

Why not just look at the million other threads with recommendations? This is about you getting the attention you're not getting IRL. If you understood any of the books you read, maybe you would have more awareness about your own motives.

>Hai guise! ;) I need an entire curriculum to transform my boyfriend's personality. Also, me, me, me, what I like, where I'm from, what I do, what my bf's liiiike

really what the fuck

Ubik
Dune
Neuromancer
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream

Order them all on Amazon to his house. It's all easy to read. All of them are captivating stories. All the books are cheap and it starts him his own little collection. Not quite literature, not quite pulp. Just the perfect start.

ITS THE FUCKING FUTURE MAN.
SCI FI IS FUCKING LIT SENPAI.
ITS GONNA BE HIS JAM.

If you were a slightly better liar, I'd believe you were trying to imitate Foma in Stepanchikovo as a metatextual thing, but I'm just not buying it. I don't really care why you would lie, but it is precious you think you have been given an internet honesty approved checkmark by being an anonymous poster on Veeky Forums while calling someone else a special snowflake.

I'm beginning to wonder if the user who rec'd The Idiot to your bf and Stepanchikovo isn't pretending to be you to prove his point.
I'd judge it on topic. I don't think it's a comfortable topic for you, but Dostoevsky and Shestov are both giants of Russian existentialism.

It is uncannily like Foma and kudos if you're pretending to be OP, StepanchikovoAnon

I did check the board for other recommendations. I couldn't find anything light or anything for beginners, as most people who'd say "I'm an adult who have never read a book" is obviously considered empty-headed here.

You sound very bitter and like you might have some issues with women. I mentioned my boyfriends interests because it obviously paints a picture of what he'd like in literature. I only mentioned he was a good person because people said I should dump him instead of recommending me good literature.

If you're that suspicious of peoples intentions and you only see the worst in people, you should perhaps reflect upon and consider your mental state and own motives. I only wanted to do something nice for my boyfriend.

If I wanted attention, why in the world would I go on Veeky Forums? People are calling me a cunt and you're being a dick. Don't you think I'd go to a nicer place, as you recommended, that don't call people horrible stuff for asking a simple question?
If a woman wants male attention, I can promise you a semi pretentious woman-hating, anime-loving Veeky Forums-board isn't the first place to go. However, some nice people actually gave me great recommendations and I usually enjoy Veeky Forums.

Thank you, I'm putting them all on an Amazon list now - I already thought of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Great recommendations, I really appreciate it. Thank you so much! I think sci-fi could definitely be his thing, and them being captivating and easy to read is just what I'm looking for.

It's a bit sad that you refer to Russian Existentialism as entry-level high school stuff while also being gatekeepers about it. It's not that hard to understand, and I don't understand doubting other people's interest or understanding of it.

Shestov is more of an essayist than a writer.

I'm sorry for the grammatical errors, I'm posting from my phone and about to go to bed. I hope you catch my drift and I think that it's unfortunate that the thread has been taken over by bitter trolls.

I greatly appreciate all the fantastic recommendations, everything is written down and I'll make a collection for him soon. Thank you so much for your help :)

>Veeky Forums hates me because I'm a woman
>i should be the first faggot they don't abuse
>i'm definitely the only gay in the village
get over yourself, sister. it's the rules of the game, and you know it. you don't get special treatment and it's not because you're a girl, it's because you're you and you drag the reputation of other women through the mud rather than face the fact you are just as detestable as every other 4channer. they don't hate you because you have a vagina, they hate you because you are dumb enough to think the problem is your sex organs not you. stop pretending every other woman is that dumb.

politely saged because the beginners lit chart is in the sticky which you're meant to read before asking for recs. btw we all grills now with 18 y/o bfs who are finished with the russian, existential and mystic.

>Shestov is more of an essayist than a writer.
But the only work you mentioned talking about by him is his aphoristic work. Nietzsche in the title is a tip-off. Continuing in lying isn't going to make me care why you lie. Try some more interesting lies.

>woman
>reads harry potter
lmao

10/10 cringe, I må gerne holde den korende lidt endnu. Eller få jer et værelse/exchange emails.

How the fuck could Crime and Punishment be considered satire?

it makes sense once you realise she's an unrepentant whore, and probably doesn't think much of orthodoxy.

You do realise you're on Veeky Forums, right? Expecting anything constructive on here instead of insults and memery from all the assholes is a mistake. Maybe something amusing with merit like don Quixote or even historical fiction if he's interested in history might be a good entry point for heavier stuff.

Why do you stupid redditors always ask for recommendation for starting. Tell your retarded pleb bf to start with the fucking Greeks.

>manchild

This word simply has no meaning.

If you value your relationship accept him as he is and not what you want him to be. Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson, a book any man would love.