British Food is bad

>British Food is bad

Where does this stupid meme even come from? Fucking hell.

No idea. Born and raised in England. I've visited Japan, Italy, Spain, Mexico, and Romania. Moved to the States a bit ago and visited the majority of the states, particularly the ones with unique cuisine.

I have to say that I have no idea where the meme comes from that British cuisine is bland or bad. I know we have a bunch of weird shit, but a lot of the rest is actually super good. Some of the weird stuff is even good.

Lower upper class btw. Or upper lower. I have no idea how the order works. I am upper class but on the lower side.

I for one, a humble leaf, enjoy British cuisine. But I like stuff like

>Yorkshire Pudding
>Shepard's Pie / Cottage Pie
>Jacket Potatoes
>Braised Beef
>Lamb Stew

I have no idea what you guys see in congealed blood or pig entrails wrapped in skin or a slightly grilled tomato or canned baked beans, and I don't know why you so proudly showcase these as your national foods over the former. Meat and potatoes are something the whole world enjoys.

>I am upper class but on the lower side.
No you're not, unless you're titled.

Examples of british food please. Examples of good british food. Examples examples examples. British food. What are you even talking about? Chip butty? Go fuck yourself.

Historical truths.

Cider is their only worthwhile accomplishment, and the French probably did that before them.

what food is that? do britongs really eat like this?

vegans are not people

Great grandfather was titled, but it stopped there. We are still worth a bit. When my grandparents died, they left enough that neither me, my parents, nor my sister and her family need to work. I am basing my upper class by how the United States government classifies me, not the United Kingdom anyways.

See for some prime examples. British cuisine doesn't stop at a full english breakfast or haggis. Maybe if you looked beyond the surface memes you'd find legitimately decent things.

>I've visited Japan, Italy, Spain, Mexico, and Romania.
Fellow Britbong here. I'd say every single one of those countries (with the exception of Romania whose cuisine I know nothing about) has a superior national cuisine to ours.

Marmite/vegemite is hard to get into, same goes for blood sausage. When it comes to other foods, like pie and mash with parsley sauce and jellied eels, people generally look at it as bland. (All of these are pretty good in my eyes.)

As an american who grew up with appalachian, scots-irish type home-cooked meals, like american biscuits and gravy, beef stew, country ham, etc. I'm not unfamliar with lightly-seasoned/bland foods, which is to say, any seasonings other than salt and pepper. They aren't the best, but I can see the appeal. There's nothing unworthy of respect about foods where you are supposed to really taste the main ingredients. Fujian chinese food is also supposed to be bland in this way.

Eggs, blood sausage, toaste with vegemite/marmite

Fair enough then. In exactly the same situation except they didn't leave that much behind. So neither of you work? Sounds a bit boring.

Sure, but that doesn't make our cuisine objectively bad. A lot of our stuff is included in standard restaurant menus all over the place. I'd say that makes it good in a sense, if it is popular enough.

It's boring, but I am really thankful for it. I don't know that I could survive in a workplace environment.

>Maybe if you looked beyond the surface memes you'd find legitimately decent things.

Fair. But christ, you none of it holds a candle to French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Turkish, etc., etc., etc.

DO AMERICANS REALLY.....EAT....THIS.....?
*chews on toast sandwich*

I never said it was the best, nor truly comparable. I just said calling it bad or bland isn't really fair.

I think you can't really call any cuisine objectively bad (except perhaps Dutch cuisine which fucking sucks), but you can definitely call our food culture pretty dreadful. Only in the last couple of decades have things been getting slightly better. I'm talking about the average Brit mind you. There are definitely a whole load of traditional foods and recipes that have been forever lost over the years too.

If you find a job that interests you it's easy. My great-grandad pissed the majority of it away including the family seat, which is pretty frustrating.

>Moved to the States a bit ago and visited the majority of the states,

Be honest, no you haven't.

It's not that hard m8.

Maybe not the majority, but about half.

You never know, you might find something you enjoy doing. Baring that, you could try doing work from home stuff, like your own business or commissions. Though that being said, I'm speaking from the perspective of an American who can't even comprehend the concept of someone leaving them tons of money. Sorry.

In any case, I want to learn more about English cuisine. My knowledge stops at, like, Shepard's/Cottage Pie and Fish and Chips, both of which I love. I wanna visit the UK one day and wanna know what sorta shit I should definitely try when I'm there, or at least learn to cook.

Of course not, if you have the cash, the time and the will, it's easy to visit "the majority of states." But, even then it's difficult. I spent my young adulthood travelling the US and I wouldn't begin to claim to have seen the majority of states, even though I've probably more time in more states than you.

Well I've only been to NYC so you definitely have lel.

Having flashbacks to my time in NYC. I thought I was going to have a heart attack every time I left the hotels.

I should add that I've also been to Alaska. I pressured my father into taking me to see sled dog races.

>mix together pig blood with rice and oats to soak it up
call it """sausage"""

What do you do in the US, considering you don't /have/ to work?

I loved it, the scale of the city is so impressive. It obviously is a more "important" city than London but by a much smaller margin than it actually feels. The scale of everything makes it feel like the centre of the world.

Also the food was pretty top notch. I've heard it's lost its character though, apparently all the interesting people have been priced out of it.

>toast sanwich

>When your country's "haute cuisine" is the same shit that homeless people eat to trick their stomachs that they aren't starving to death.

Not calling it bad is one thing. But it certainly is bland.

>the food of this nation is not very good

Keep eating raw fish and rice you slanty eyed gook.

Lived in Brooklyn back in 95-96. I refuse to call NYC a city. It's five fucking cities that happen to share continuous borders.

Is that counting Jersey? No one counts Jersey. Not even Jersey

Seriously. Watch anime and they eat 3 fucking things. White rice, an omelette served with rice, or bland curry that looks like diarrhea. I don't get where the elitism comes from.

dumb people who just look at meme shit and take it at literal face value

The meme exists because it's true

cuz they're the most generic and easiest foods to draw. Also Jap foods are boring anyways

Your palate is shit then m8.

British food is garbage. The only (English) things I enjoy eating in England are:

>Fish n Chips
>Full fryup

Everything else is shit.

>I don't like it so YOUR palate is objectively shit
Lad.

You compare:

>Jap, Mex, Kor, Indo,Thai, Ita, Fr, Chi, Spa...

Food to English food and its very apparent that England doesnt have a real cuisine.

No shame in that. England shines in so many things, but cooking aint one of them.

Dont take it personally. Im from a central European nation and we also cook shit food.

>and I don't know why you so proudly showcase these as your national foods over the former
I don't think I've ever heard anybody do anything of the sort.

Scuse me m8, we cook great food. It's just not exciting fancy food.

I could never understand how Brits who claimed to be Christians could eat blood pudding or blood sausage when the New testament clearly forbids it.
The very thought of eating blood is revolting to me.

We generally just don't take our religion with the autistic sincerity that some countries do.

>The very thought of eating blood is revolting to me.
grow up

What country has the worst food?

>titled

That reminds me of the time when Hemingway asked Ford Maddox Ford if he qualified as a "gentleman" and Ford answered , "of course not, you're not english."

Having said that, when I was in Britain I loved the cask ale hand pump pub culture, the full English breakfast and fish and chips that my english buds made a point of taking me to places that were really good. And fucking Cumberland sausage is absolutely goat.

I really don't get this latent hate for the brits among my fallow 'murricans. I love their quirkiness.

Australia.

>Where does this stupid meme even come from?
England, mostly.

christianism is about christ not about jews and their old testament rules. when you go to sunday church you eat jesus meat and drink his blood because of a miracle called transubstantiation, they actually believe it happens so eating meat or blood doesn't mean anything strange for them.

anywhere where black people are a majority

I don't know where it comes from either. We have some extremely good regional dishes, and have produced many of the world's favourite all time dishes in the anglosphere. Also we've got loads of michelin star or higher chefs active right now.

I love lots of different cuisines btw

People who don't actually know anything about food. It's not fucking hard to research.

PriPri sucked

>t. seething westcuck

It's bland. Most Brits don't know how to season food or what seasoning even is, outside of some salt. The American Southwest truly has the greatest good on earth.

bullshit m8, we literally conquered countries for spices

>southwest
You are two kinds of retarded right now. Navigation and history.

Name ONE spice that British people use that isn't salt or pepper.

>be me
>pay 400$ for touristy bullshit
>eat authentic english meals "through the ages"
>everything tasted like bland shit... not even flavorful
>every century was fucking terrible
>had tea at the end
>didn't want to kill self in england and have soul there forever.
win?

paprika

And proceeded to use none of them. It's really odd. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up eating tons of tex mex and barbecue, and dousing everything in some kind of sauce and cooking everything with some kind of rub, but when I was in the UK I found the food to be pretty samey. Not to say it was bad, but there were a lot of boiled meats, stews, cottage pies, and haggis. It's alright, but there's very little diversity. The first thing I did when I got home was have a plate of nachos doused with habenero sauce.

Thanks, me too.

that's on you for not eating a wide enough variety m8

I had pretty much every "quintessential British" meal, but there's not a lot to choose from. I think the best meal I had when I was there was like the only taco joint in Edinburgh, and they sold their (by tex mex standards) mediocre tacos at a premium because tacos are so rare. There's no sauces, dry rubs, and everything is boiled. Does not a good cuisine make.

>good cuisine is tex mex tacos
Holy shit neck yourself.

>boiled meats
Unless you were eating at someone's 90 year old grandmother's house, I seriously doubt that.
>haggis
Only if you were in Scotland.
Cottage pie and stew aren't something you'll commonly find except in the most remote country pubs. I don't believe you're giving us a complete picture of your experience because it sounds extremely limited.

>no sauces, dry rubs, and everything is boiled
In Edinburgh? Nah, you're full of it.

Better than 90% of britshit.

What did I miss? I'm legitimately interested.

Roasts.

Honestly I quite enjoy good British cuisine based on my experience of about one month there. It's a pretty comfy place all things said; on the other hand it's very basic, there won't be anything too out there. Haggis was fucking fantastic, really do miss that, fry ups are really great but being honest I don't think I could eat one every day, jacket potatoes are always solid, British cheddar is a fantastic cheese, salmon and tuna are fucking delicious and quite cheap, also shrimp, speaking of, Brit bacon best bacon. Cornish pasties, Yorkshire pudding and Cottage Pie were fantastic, also mucky fat. That said, chip butties were weird. Oh, and Meal Deals are a lifesaver. The several berries were fantastic, and I kinda miss Irn Bru.

>WHUT THE HELL IS THIS SHIT
>WHURR'S MUH CORN SYRUP AND BACON GLAZE FOR MUH BUCKET OF MEAT
>THIS MEAT AIN'T GOT NO CRISPY COATING, DID Y'ALL BOIL THIS SHIT
the absolute state of yanks

give me a list of your top 3 british dishes.

>implying Brit cuisine isn't the backbone of stereotypical American cuisine
For crying out loud, the stereotypical Brit street food is deep fried fish with fries, preferably fried in animal fat.

steak and ale pie
full sunday roast
apppe and blackberry crumble

Are you trying to say that you're middle class? why are britshits so god damn retarded

Toad in the hole; cottage pie; bangers and mash.

you have chips with fish m8, not fries

Nah, lower upper class/higher middle class dude here, it's a bit of a different thing, and kind of an odd spot to describe. You're still quite well off, but you still have to pay attention to your money, for example, else the whole thing can go down the drain.

I mean, I'm going off the American term for them, because if you say chips Americans will think of crisps. Speaking of, cheese and onion is a surprising good combination for sandwiches and crisps.

Steak and kidney pie
Apple crumble
Yorkshire pudding

Runner up is properly made shepherd's pie.

Im American and I thought Shepards pie was Irish. I guess I imagined anything with lamb not being British for a weird reason. When I think of British food I think pie and mash, fuckin eels, beans on toast, assorted puddings, and beef wellington.

im gonna have to look up what toad in the hole is though.

It's essentially a sausage pie with the sausages sticking out.

it's just a big old tray of yorkshire pudding with bangers baked into it

>skipping alabama
well fuck you too

it probably tastes good, but what the fuck man. why would you put those 2 things together? Its a texture thing.

Alabama is fucking shit. Then again, he visited NC and our food isn't anything special.

it's really not that different to having pancakes with breakfast sausage

yeah, I wouldnt eat those together either.

fair play

>no chili peppers
>no garlic
>no seasoning outside salt and pepper
>no wine reductions
>meat boiled instead of browned
>everything has offal in it
complete garbage. england has decent beer and good cheese and that's it.

literally noone eats toast sandwiches you fucking retard.

LITERALLY the only instance i've heard of toast sandwiches was in a food study conducted to identify the cheapest possible sandwich.

toast sandwich was the cheapest.

fennel,nutmeg, ginger, tumeric, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, curry powder, cumin, cloves.

Can you retarded fucks not generalise a countrys cuisine, its like saying japs just eat rice and fish or mexicans eat rice and beans or americans eat cheap shitty 'cheese' burgers all the time.

all untrue though

none of this is true.

You have shown yourself to be retarded, good job.

The only good thing you can say about Alabama is “At least it’s not Missouri.”

>no chili peppers
yes there is
>no garlic
people use garlic in MANY recipes
>no seasoning outside salt and pepper
nowhere close to true retard.
>no wine reductions
yes we do
>meat boiled instead of browned
nobody boils meat you fucking retard, literally everyone browns meat/cooks in oven
>everything has offal in it
by everything, you mean a few traditional recipes then yeah otherwise no.

How retarded do you have to be to believe this?

Why do ""people""" like this shit? You have it once, you've had it all. I don't understand how people eat it every day.

>he thinks brits eat fish and chips every day
That's like assuming every american starts their day with a nourishing meal of corndogs and bacon weaves.

Who doesn't love fish and chips? It's by far the best bong dish

>when the New testament clearly forbids it.
It says no such thing. Why must vegans suck at everything?

France is closer to England than Texas is to jew York but French food is different from British food and Texas and Jew York are the same