Stack thread general

It's that time again. Post, rate, rec, shitpost, etc. Have fun.

What does Veeky Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1357034X95001003011
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nebbish highschool senior/college freshman who just discovered weed-core

>there's an entire book about Tom Bombadil

How is Resurrection? Assuming you've started it.

>three different hst books
>but no campaign trail '72

fix this

Only 50 pages in so I can't comment on it much, but I have a feeling its going to be an emotional/moralistic story. I'm a huge Tolstoy fan so i'm liking it a lot so far. If you love Tolstoy's other stuff, you will probably like it.

These are all books literally all white men own. You are a white man. You are trash

Posted this in another thread. I started Cortazar's Literature class. His description of the short story is very fascinating. A photograph or a circle. Something that is self contained, unlike a novel where there's a universe that is created which goes on after the you finish. His descriptions of time and fate as mechanisms in a fantastic short story, and characters being flesh and blood, not just puppets created to serve the plot, will be incredibly helpful in future endeavors.

I only read books by white men because I am one, and they are the only one who know what white guy problems are. I don't give as shit about the woes faced by women and nogs, because i'm not one and they will always tell me I don't understand their struggles.

Flaubert and Celine were goddamn expensive (or I'm just used to always buying used)

R8

Wow i wonder if people see what reaction identity politics have begun. I am a leftist but working class and I really hate identity politics. It doesn't matter if women get paid equally when everyone is a slave. Blacks are in a shitty situation but their struggles are close to ours too bad black rights have been coopted by college kids who think image is everything .

best so far itt

Oi.

The villainy you teach me I will execute—and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

u smart

>Kafka in the original german
Ayyyyyyyy!!!

This is my latest haul.

>these threads
memes over memes over memes over memes

I always get sick

does this thread rely on having a bunch of books you want people to know you read on your desk? or going and grabbing them to put them in a pile so other people can know you read them in particular? I measure my autism by how often I compartmentalize things into pointless lists and hierarchies.
all that aside - it would be egotistical not to participate. I'm reading The Culture series by Iain M. Banks and The Dispossesed by Ursula K. Leguin. both explore how commune-anarchism relates to other societies.
even if you're allergic to leftism, it's been a huge breath of fresh air to me, compared to the sci-fi/fantasy books I continue to slog through for some reason.

account-based social media is going to be the end of human culture. people are already informed by machine ettiquette. we're never going to make new languages that are easier to communicate with. we're going to die burned out on sugar and caffeine, no longer interested in whether we are enjoying ourselves.

>reading Edda in english
Kek.

Pretty good hauls, senpais.

Babby's hipster starter pack.

Out of all of tolstoy's works, you picked him at his preachest. Did you already read all his pre-conversion stories?

/powerspill/

Just added these to my collection yesterday. Fairly happy.

Currently at Carl Schmitt, 2/3 have been re-reads.

>electric kool aid acid test
is it really that short? I bought the german version for a friend of mine and it was something like 400 pages long. I mean, german is a long language but that seems excessive.

Yep. Besides, I dig preachy Russian religious stuff and theology.

Bought a rummage box off ebay. arrived today in a shoe box. All good condition, but a bunch of random shit I've never heard of before:
The Path of Daggers (wheel of time 8) - Robert Jordan (I've never read any wheel of time books
A Year in the Merde - Stephen Clarke
The Eclipse of the Century - Jan Mark
Prince of the Blood - Raymond E Feist
Farside - Ben Bova
The Fist of God - Frederick Forsyth
Darknesses (corean chronicles 2)- LE Modesitt jr. ? I think- his name is all jumbled, the typography is awful, but the covers look like fun trash
Scepters (Corean chronicles 3)
Scales of Gold - Dorothy Dunnett
Race of Scorpions - Dorothy Dunnett
And for some reason Angela's Ashes. This was supposed to be a fantasy rummage box.

Got the following this month.

The Woman in the Dunes-Kobo Abe
Hard to Be a God-Boris and Arkady Strutgatsky
The Melancholy of Resistance-Laszlo Krasznahorkai
Legend of the Galactic Heroes books two and three-Yoshiki Tanaka
Bakemonogatari part 3-Nisio Isin

Looking forward to reading the Abe book since it is my second one by him. How is the movie adaptation of TWITD? I've heard pretty good things about it. Also Melancholy a good choice for my next Krasznahorkai? I've only read Satantango and loved it a lot, probably the book I'm most looking forward to reading over summer.

It has over 400 pages, friend.

damn, why is your Steppenwolf so thicc?

am I having a stroke? That edition has like, 260 tops.

Pocket edition. It's like 6"x4". It seemed like a good book to get pocket style so I can read it on the go inbetween the larger works.

416 pages to be exact.

This edition:
is 416 pages?

I'm waiting on my copy of Literature Class to get here so I can start. One of my favorite books within that vein is Maps of the Imagination by Peter Turchi.

I am... so confused.

Not a stack but pls r8 xD

Unironically my favorite editions of LoTR

Got this as a gift.
It's a really old edition, but the paper is nice.

R8 me M8s

Bought these for one of my classes next semester.
>E. D. E. N. Southworth - The Hidden Hand
>Nathaniel Hawthorne - The House of the Seven Gables
>The Norton Anthology of American Literature, 9th Vol. 1 (A-B)

r8 h8 appreci8 and masturb8
>tfw spend an afternoon sitting in a used bookstore with a hot coffee, figuring out how much money you can spend to still eat this week
Comfy

7/10 have fun

Hell's Angels was my favorite book in high school, liked it better than fear and loathing. hope you enjoy it user
Odyssey is necessary, also how's that reader? which dialogues does it include?
How's Sartre? Should I start with his plays or his philosophical stuff?
How's those hesiod books?
Recommend Huxley's doors of perception and heaven & hell. How's those top three books?
how's that lenin book?
Should I read more Freud? I read civilization and it's discontents and I wasn't too impressed.
trial of socrates is good stuff

Great stack user.

I haven't read much of Freud myself to be frank I'm reading this to get an overview. From what I've read mind the more his writing focuses on broader and social/anthropological topics the less engaging it becomes to me. Try three essays on sexuality you should be able to find a free pdf online or find a book on psychoanalytic history. Psychoanalysis as a practice requires it's proponents to be analysed by one another so following the personal relationships is a good way to explore the ideology (and find figures more engaging than Freud)

how's that anthology

>Huysmans and Wittgenstein
Gr8 choices, m8.

a

>divine comedy in the original italian and portuguese (its the best translation to brazilian portuguese)

>almeida's translation of the bible, first translation to portuguese from the original books, considered the classic and best translation. it is to portuguese what KJV is to english

>milton's paradise lost, samson agonistes, areopagitica and minor poems

>grande sertão: veredas, or the devil to pay in the backlands, great brazilian classic, would definitely put it in a brazilian meme trilogy

have already read the divine comedy in english, so will re-read in my own tongue now, halfway through KJV and will also re-read in my tongue when I finish it, never read any milton and grande sertão I read many many years ago

Does no one here ever venture out of the established Veeky Forums canon? It's all the same shit over and over.

All solid choices (yes, including Freud, plebs).

8/10.

All good except the Solzhenitsyn.

>Stewart Lee

My man

but so are you

well I kind of do, but its pretty much all national literature...machado de assis kind of is Veeky Forums canon, have seen him mentioned here and he is also on bloom's 100 geniuses list, but all the others like guimarães rosa or euclides da cunha, which are as great as assis, are 100% forgotten

assis and the following two would make my brazilian meme trilogy
>euclides da cunha - os sertões or rebellion in the backlands, written by a war correspondant on the bloodiest conflict in brazil, its considered a geographical, sociological and historical epic poem. critic alexei bueno considered it part of the 3 great portuguese epic poems, putting it as a 'portuguese The Iliad.

>guimarães rosa - grande sertão: veredas or the devil to pay in the backlands, put as the 'portuguese The Odissey' and considered part of the big 3 portuguese pic poems by the same critic

What's wrong with souls a neat sin?

The Italian books are, from top to bottom:

>Myths, Emblems and Spies (collection of essays on the relationship between morphology and history; haven't read it yet, so I wouldn't know)
>Achilles in Love - Gradus ad Parnassum (Italian Surrealism, incredible, polymorphous prose and wacky slapstick comedy for people who like their jokes with Greek mithology)
>Pinocchio, a parallel book (novel/essay [dare I say, philosofiction?] on the classical children novel written by Collodi; the author is Italy best prose stylist, at least as far as the last century is concerned)

The Cyberspace/Cyberbodies/Cyberpunk collection I picked up mostly because there's a Nick Land essay, you can read it here journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1357034X95001003011

Are you starting a polsci course? Not joking, but that's kind of a schizophrenic collection of books.

Now, this I like. Think you can fit Scienza Nuova by Vico in there somewhere, if you haven't read it already? I think you'd appreciate it.

Kierkegaard's prose is something incredible and able to sway every man from the course he thought he set for himself in life - Steel yourself before diving in, but be relentless in your reading once you do.

Correction, the link redirects to a still of the first page. Couldn't find the essay proper by looking around, name's Meat (or how to kill Oedipus in cyberspace) if you want to give it a try. Sorry about that.

>lermontov
nise taste in poets. 7/10.
>stirner
>memestein
4/10.
>goethe
>modern library
not bad. 8/10 for ox classics.
>obligatory IJ on the beckground
meh. 7/10 for hue language.
bait 0/10.
>cyberpunk meme
but at least you have Artaud. 6/10.

y'all suck.

think i wouldnt notice that weeb shit at the bottom lad.

[How actually are the monogataris, I've been wanting to try Kizu but I'm betting beyond anything its going to be shit]

It's pretty readable but I'd definitely recommend Kizumonogatari. I think we're getting four more novels by the end of the year but I could be wrong. Still can't believe they had the audacity to pull a Hobbit and turn it into three 45 minute films each.

thanks for the rec user, I'll check it out. How do you like that willy shakes complete works? I have the oxford one which is pretty nice but could use some more supplementary stuff.

Just bought it today to be honest, haven't had the time to check it out as well as I'd like. From what I can see there's no critical apparatus, nor any notes - barely a glossary at the end. I don't mind much, I got it for 3 euro and I prefer reading the works first and the possible interpretations later.

thompson is comfy stuff for sipping on a mint julep in a hammock
quality hesse
i have the signet classics or something version of that gass, the nyrb version looks much more aesthetic though
Freud is so fucking underrated it hurts. The Wolfman and Other Cases is glorious.
nice stirner edition
there is a lot of junk there desu my man

i have the penguin version of confessions but it is kind of ripped up so this was a good find for buy 1 get 1 free. i'll probably give my old copy to my mom or something...

Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test was the most fucking boring book Ive read in a long while. Didnt get that far come to think of it.

Not many non-white men who really accomplished anything of worth, including literary works.

The problem with identity politics, is they all use the white man as a scape goat.
Women are paid equally for the same work.
Blacks problems are entirely their own fault, their culture is toxic at best.

I have not read the book in pic but I read Moby Dick and honestly I have to say it was probably my all time most favorite book. It took till like page 200 to really get more eventful but even the pages before that were fucking awesome. From the first page of the book I was hooked, some say the book is long winded and it is but the points that are conveyed at the end of the long winded sentences have a lot more depth and 'character' to them they also help paint a more vivid picture.

>the ego and its own