Talking with my friend about the Sherlock TV series

>Talking with my friend about the Sherlock TV series
>He says that it's an insult to Conan Doyle's great literature
>I say Sherlock Holmes is genre fiction and doesn't have all that much literary merit
>He calls me a pretentious cunt and hasn't spoken to me for a few days

Why do certain people act like any old book is a masterpiece and that reading a book itself is some form of achievement?

>Why do certain people act like any old book is a masterpiece
Most well known works are celebrated as they are because they are special and holding them in high regard is perfectly natural.
>and that reading a book itself is some form of achievement
When did your friend say that? Reading Sherlock Holmes or any other work by Sir Conan Doyle is pretty easy, the stories are for pre teen kids.

Yeah I agree with your friend Sherlock is a period character and trying to bastardise it for cheap Hollywood interpretations is belittling the quality of the original work.

You have a right to your opinion and to disagree with me but your friend and me stand on the same side.

The BBC Sherlock is fucking shit, no one disagrees with that. My point is just that the original stories are fine for what they are but they aren't great works of literature.

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>Sherlock TV series

Which one? They've made like fucking 5 in the past few years.

Faggot

Conan Doyle isn't great, but he's better than most genre fiction; he's much better than Lee Child or James Patterson.
Writing Sherock Holmes off as airport fiction is asinine.

>tfw I used to be the kid reading Holmes at the airport because I thought it was a light read and I could get through the stories quickly

The sherlock holmes stories obviously aren't meant to be epic novels, the best part is the mystery, not the literary prowess of the author. what makes them fun is trying to figure out the murder

>if its fiction it has no merit

Your friend is right you're a pretentious cunt.

Then you admit they are genre fiction and not great literature?

>people who claim to be fans of Sherlock Holmes also claim to not enjoy the shit out of Cumberbatch's motormouth of pure contempt and Freeman's loveable everyman
you softies ain't fooling anyone

I agree with your friend, you're a pretentious cunt. That means you fit in really well, as Veeky Forums has no shortage of you people. Sherlock Holmes is a literary icon.

I, too, get frustrated by the never-ending bastardizations of Doyle's stories, but I'll admit that Sherlock is better than most others, from an objective standpoint. I mean, Lucy Liu as Watson? Holy shit, what is the world coming to?

I'm as smug a cunt as they come but Holmes is some classic shit. Quit being an edge lord. It doesn't have to have literary merit to mean that the character is sacred

He was saying a modern day TV show was inferior to the better book its based off and your immediete instinct was to criticize the book in some crude psuedish attempt to one up him. Sherlock Holmes is one of the most famous characters ever created you utter dipshit.

reddit

If after reading this you realise your mistake and apologise to your friend for your poor social skills (autism) you will have grown as a person OP

I'm not saying they're hard to read, but they're definitely not written for pre-teens

Tripfag

They're still a great series of genre fiction, and it's valid to say that the TV show does the stories a dis-service.

Why should he talk to you? You've clearly nothing to offer but affectation and ignorance.

I bet you haven't even read a single Sherlock Holmes story.

everyone here is saying his work is being belittled. what a load of shit. he killed off Sherlock and only brought him back to shill him for some shekels, because everything else he wrote was shit.

It's literally fucking nothing.

Elementary is better than Sherlock my friend.

>thinking Sir Arthur Conan Doyle needed the shekels
you're retarded user
there was a huge public outcry after he killed off Holmes
the man's own mother demanded he fix it
he was that popular