"I do not see that computers are bringing us one step nearer to anything that does matter ot me: peace...

"I do not see that computers are bringing us one step nearer to anything that does matter ot me: peace, economic justice, ecological health, political honesty, family and community stability, good...I am a luddite." - Wendell Berry, poet

Was he right? Any other good luddite writers? I like Pynchon, Kirkpatrick Sale, Jacques Ellul.

Other urls found in this thread:

www2.ubishops.ca/baudrillardstudies/vol1_2/genosko.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No. He's a "fire scary and thomas edison is a witch" dipshit, apparently.

The ability to communicate has it's downsides, yes, but it's overall very positive. We have easier access to information, injustices are harder to cover up, and family, separated by circumstance and geography can still enjoy intimate relationships. It's easier to spontaneously meet up with friends, buy things for work, people with disabilities have their lives made easier, etc, etc, etc...

fuck off.

I think that computers are bringing us closer to peace. It's harder to support one's government bombing some other country when you are directly acquainted with that country's citizens over the Internet. Computers have also made it easier to spread information, thereby helping political honesty to some extent.

>It's harder to support one's government bombing some other country when you are directly acquainted with that country's citizens over the Internet. Computers have also made it easier to spread information, thereby helping political honesty to some extent.

is it working?

Its also easier to spread disinformation. No internet = no trump. And yes computers foster commerce, but why would i want more of that?

>and family, separated by circumstance and geography can still enjoy intimate relationships.

Yeah but what if I want the world to be bigger o that I can avoid my family?

block 'em.

Computers are great. I just wished that they were used solely for research purposes, and I mean that in a wide sense

this guy gets it

Baudrillard sort of hits it if you want some theory.

Then you are a fucking hypocrite being on Veeky Forums.

Which of his works specifically? I have a couple of his interviews downloaded off youtube.

Veeky Forums and the fuuka archive can be great for pointing you in the right direction for research

you do need to be careful and moderate your usage though

I can't help it, that's why I wished they were restricted for intellectual reasons only

>I can't control myself so everyone should live in a dictatorship

Simulacra and Simulation is where the concept for the Matrix trilogy came from. I am still working on reading it, but his notions of the hyperreal are applicable to how technology has created communities and ideologies that have little to no basis in fact. It has a lot to deal with an ideal being sold to society that presents itself as reality but has no basis in it. I don't know if that makes sense.

>being this humorless and literal

>Because X isn't going to solve every problem in the world it shouldn't exist

why are you listening to people this dense

obviously he has been left behind. i really cant see why a writer born before 1990 has anything interesting to say about right now.

Wut even

no one born after 1990 has anything interesting to say. Please prove me wrong

syrian girl from twitter and jaden smith

Is this the most cringe-worthy scene of all times?
Simulacra and Simulation is one tenth the length of the green book in the picture. But more importantly, only someone who has neither read Simulacra nor watched The Matrix could seriously think that the latter represents the ideas of the former in any meaningful way.
Was this a joke on Wachowskis' part?

>No internet = no trump.
Look at this butthurt lefty wanting to censor the internet just because he doesn't like the elected president. Sometimes you just lost, get over it, sweetheart.

kek I know. I still enjoyed the nod though. Eh, I can see how they are related still... I think there are some things that the Matrix did better than Baudrillard Tbh. I have used Baudrillard mostly in reference to a class on commodities and the construction of the self. Did you hear about how pissed B was at the movie?

www2.ubishops.ca/baudrillardstudies/vol1_2/genosko.htm

Here is the man himself.

Me

>kek I know. I still enjoyed the nod though
Understandable. I wasn't too serious.

>Did you hear about how pissed B was at the movie?
I knew that he disapproved, but not much more. Has he written anything about The Matrix?

of course he would disapprove

baudrillard is a transphobe

No computers don't bring us closer to any of those things he mentioned, but what does?

Pretty much everything you read on here, Veeky Forums, is written exclusively by people born in the 90s. Are you an old fag or a new fag?

>It's harder to support one's government bombing some other country when you are directly acquainted with that country's citizens over the Internet.
DotA made me far more comfortable with the idea of my government bombing Russia and Peru.

>Its also easier to spread disinformation.

This is absolutely incorrect you little wanker

you're certainly spreading bad punctuation

>Was this a joke on Wachowskis' part?
Apparently not, he eligedly required all the actors to read Simulacra and Simulation before the shooting of the film.

Pic related is the GOAT Luddite.

I shouldn't have to say it. Kaczynski can't think, he can't write. There's no discernible talent.

I still maintain that his pseudo-Nietzschean BTFO-ing of a certain diseased liberal mindset and the ills of modern civilization (oversocialization, I think he calls it, I read it long ago) is really fucking important even if the way he writes it doesn't seem very formal and technical and philosophically complex. His proposed solution, ehhh...

(Yes, in case anyone remembers, i've made a very similar post to this before defending some of Kaczynski's ideas)

>I still maintain that his pseudo-Nietzschean BTFO-ing of a certain diseased liberal mindset and the ills of modern civilization

It's not great and relies on his shitty power process philosophy. Ellul already btfo'd that mindset you call diseased.

I agree but I am old enough to remember before wide spread personal computer devices. I imagine in a generation or so your question will make about as much sense as questioning the benefits of breathing oxygen.

When will people stop imagining a "better" society. This really is the best of all possible worlds and just as much it is the worst of all possible worlds.

Fallacies like these are why I've left Veeky Forums. Fuck off ni[B][B]a

This

One of the greatest thinkers of the past century.