Death

Can we talk about death? Why do people get scared of it? also I'm unironically asking, what is death? what is it? why do some people seek it and why do others would do anything to avoid it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SoLRkdPTZ7E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It doesn't exist.

>Death is the most terrible thing there is and to uphold the work of death is the task that demands the greatest strength.

Two helpful works:

The Denial of Death, Ernest Becker.

Death, Geoffrey Scarre

>Being this afraid

No one of afraid of death, they are afraid of suffering.

People tend to value their achievements, ego and the sorts. Death takes it all away from them - those who achieve, that is.
Those who don't achieve are left to fear the unknown. NDE patients tell that what happens after is more real than this life calling our realm the dream world. Likewise DMT psychonauts do the same.

As somebody that has "died" I can say that death is essentially just nothingness. People either are fascinated by it or avoid it at any cost. The idea that you are not always going to exist is a frightening thing, I deal with it by jumping out of airplanes.

I look forward to death. Sounds comfy

I have had this fear of death for a long time, but lately I've been thinking about it. It is not death itself that I fear. What I fear is missing out on what will happen to the world after I die. I want to experience the future, and fear that I will not.

Death is the loss of all conciousness, and from that point on, we can only exist, if at all, in some kind of metaphysical state.

I believe death to be the most erotic of all possible experiences, except with the possible exception of the enactment of sexual fantasies fuelled by sexual attraction towards the sky itself. I hope i die when in the process of sexually stimulated so i can experience the full erotic experience before my physical body is snuffed of all life.

Because the feeling of not even experiencing blackness is terrifying. Atleast it's better than the alternative.

t. Anno

"Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist."

– Epicurus

The only thing I didn't connect with in White Noise was the fear of death.

Seneca did me right.

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Death creeps in slow til you feel safe in his arms desu.

Official thread music

youtube.com/watch?v=SoLRkdPTZ7E

I just hope its not like cre na cille

Death is what happens when life has ended. I think people are so afraid of it because they know they're not fully living their lives and/or haven't figured out their place in the universe.

>Death is the loss of all conciousness
Active consciousness maybe, what constitutes a consciousness is still there, it's just damaged and not functioning in full (there is still plenty of activity in 'death', only after a while when it stops and decay sets in are you entirely dead). Which is why you can be brought back to life if not too much damage has been sustained, you couldn't if what constitutes your consciousness physically decays too much or was too damaged to begin with. Though by being dead and reassuring a consciousness, you might consider that a new life, not returning to you, a new person being created using your shell.

>reassuring
reassuming

Death is the end of existence and our return to dust

This. You cannot experience your own nonexistence. And nonexistence in itself does not exist. I don't know what happens when you die but death as we know it is something that happens to other people and not ourselves.

Did that make sense? I feel like I should read Heidegger.

If people were not afraid of death, there would be less impetus to stay alive. Fear of death confers a survival and reproductive advantage.

We also do not know what death is.
Is it to cease to exist? Whether or not ceasing to exist should concern us, it still frightens me. It is impossible to comprehend what it would be like to cease to exist, because there is no you to experience. The closest thing to compare it to is a state like dreamless sleep, but with dreamless sleep, you wake up.

Is there an afterlife? Is there a possibility of eternal punishment or it being otherwise terrible? Is the afterlife not exactly bad, but so radically different from this life to make it incomprehensible or nearly so: for example, losing your identity and/or becoming one with something that is not you.

Different people seek or avoid death at least partly based on how they perceive life and how they perceive death.

I have heard, and have nothing to back this up, that many suicidal young people think that once they die, they will be able to look down and gloat. Whether or not there is an afterlife, I think it is unlikely that this is how it works.

Who was it that called the afterlife "the great maybe"?

>Be afraid of suffering
>get to a point in life in which I have to suffer
>it's shit but looking back it wasn't something I should be afraid of, rather something I should try to evade
>not afraid of anything now

Life is good.

I rarely see people treat death as exactly the same as the state before you were conceived. It's not unknown at all, the only reason you think it is unknown is because there was no you to know it when you were experiencing the eternity before you existed.

>linear progression
There are many religions that view the pre-birth world to house their soul. In some other sorry lifeform.

I don't want to make a new thread but could anyone explain to me the meaning of "I'd have it down by 16"?

How does one worship Death, and what works would I read to help this idea along?

This. I don't care if I die when I'll be an old fart. But I don't want to die now before living life to its fullest.

Spooked.

Is that not the most Irish afterlife possible though?