Resting

Tell me straight Veeky Forums, is resting steaks a meme? Last night I cooked two steaks, one rested and the other not and I couldn't tell the difference.

Do you know what the term meme means?
I'll help you out, it doesn't mean a falsehood.

Of course it's a meme,

>rest steak so it becomes more juicier
The juices are already inside the steak
>look it's juicier

Retard.
Retard.
Retard.
You clearly don't cook.
Go find a YouTube thread to post in.

Dont know because I've never done a comparison, but I figure it's good to let the heat dissipate anyway.

And you're a cunt for saying that. Do you actually have a point...

Maybe if your mommy doesn't cut up your steak pupu style for you little fat man, it will hold its own.

As the steak cools the fibres contract holding in more juice.
OP probably didn't let it rest for long enough.

>Reddit spacing
Upvoted.
:)

>more juice

The juice is already in the meat...

> look it's juicier, thank fuck'in God we let it rest or my steak would be dry, oh thank you master chef!

/thread

Yeah, without resting the meat loses more juice.

And where does said juice go?

>look my steak is so juicy, it's covered in juice

So by your logic, a boiled steak is the juiciest steak.

Only if you cut all the pieces before eating like a fucking European
If you cut off bites to eat individually, it doesn’t matter

Let rest about 30 min. Its not making it "juicier" per say but it's preventing the juices from gushing out on to the plate with the first cut.
This is correct. Also fat globules are slowly coagulating the cooler it gets and the collagen sorta sets back from pure liquid at it's hottest to a jelly like texture.

It's less juicier because it dried out and now ice cold.

>Let rest about 30 minutes

Not only will this turn the inside of your steak into a fucking ocean of juice, it will also ensure your steak achieves that perfect and fulfilling cold to the touch room temperature texture

Now it's a half hour!?!

>wake me tomorrow when my steak is ready...

WRONG
>an ocean of juice
Yes that is my goal. I like my steak to be a meat gusher. Anybody else notice a really juicy steak tastes a lot like eating really fresh pussy?

Usually my steak is warm not hot or cold. If I temp checked it it would probably come in at ≈ 100°f. But my rule isn't one I dogmatically stick to. 20-30 minutes works well for a one pound chunk of beef. Do less for smaller cuts and more for bigger.

Yes you got it. The meat angels need time to smell the meat, hence the resting, then the meat Angels piss all over your resting meat which makes it juicy.
>pussy taste
Yes, astute of you to differentiate between female Angels piss.

You're doing God's work there cook, God's work

Oh, so the longer your steak sits the heavier it gets?

If only there was some sort of device that retained heat without applying more of it. Something that trapped it...really makes you think...

So much for that crispy char, now it's all soggy with condensation

Benefits of resting steak

1) Continued internal cooking
2) Juice retention
3) Adds the most important spice of all: hunger

No. The longer it sits the juicer it will be. Be careful not to let it sit too long though. Once I let it sit out for 3 hours because I was trying to achieve that perfect cold meat temperature, and when I cut into it steak had been completely liquefied and the outside was just a hollow meat shell.
Do what this world class chef says and shoot for 30 minutes

>I don't know how to properly cover food
It's ok, user. Your mom still thinks you're special!

Where did the juice come from?

That's just the steak works. It's like meat magic

That's a funny thing to admit to...

But you will lose juice via evaporattive condensation so if you are trying to maintain juice, you do need to incorrectly cover it...

oh and I murdered my Mom in cold blood, served two years in juvie, so I paid my price for it, asshat.

Try again sparky, these are not Audioquest interconnects here, or $1800 bottles of wine, stick to what's really going on here.

You're deluded if you think a foil is going to stop the steak from coming to room temp in thirty minutes. Even a ripping her cast iron pan with its insane heat retention is cool in thirty minutes.

I don't know why anons here are saying it gets "juicier".

Resting steak allows the muscle fibers to relax. When you heat up a steak you heat up all the water in it, so the water expands and in turn expands the cells and stretches out the muscle fibers, kind of like a little meat balloon. Its still tough when this happens. When you let it cool down a bit, the juices inside cool and they'll start to leak out of the steak, but the muscle fibers won't be as tough.

Not to mention it's not to code
>Holding temperature: Hot food 135º F or above

If you let meat rest it gets more tender. This is basic chemistry, not that Veeky Forums has any clue about actual facts.

Jesus you just can't understand it can you. They're talking about if you cut into it without resting, more juice will leak out than if you rested it.

And so your steak sitting on the plate, in it's own juice has zero capacity to absorb the juice it's sitting in, is that what your saying?

Wow, this is a really successful bait thread.
Credit where credit is due, OP. Good job.

All it resting does is keep the juice from leaking out of the meat as much, but the difference is negligible.

If steaks are done and you have other shit to get ready for your meal then yeah resting the steaks for a few minutes while you do shit will be nice but there's basically no reason why you wouldn't eat a steak straight off the grill unless having slightly more water in your plate than normal gives you panic attacks.

Unless you want to eat shoe leather in a pool of juice, you'll rest the steak about 10 minutes after cooking.

>The only flavor he can compare pussy to is a form of piss

How filthy are the women you frequent user?

No
It generates juice inside the steak that would have not been there had you not let it rest.
Also, you must let the steak rest for 30 minutes. Otherwise you could miss out on that divine cold steak experience, not to mention you run the risk of scalding the inside of your mouth

So your steaks weigh more just by sitting there...

I can make the same photos using two bricks...

Correct.
If it didn't make make it juicier then letting steaks rest after cookink would be a meme

yes resting steaks makes them noticeably better. the scientific reasons why are well documented, it allows the fluids to be distributed optimally throughout the meat instead lost when the tissue is pierces / cut.

>magic
>science
Pick one

I would prefer a world of magic personally

you ate two steaks

>looking inside his thoughts

>Only if you cut all the pieces before eating like a fucking European

>let the steak get cold
Why?

Resting is a meme. This picture is an irrelevant amount of juice, measure it, its like 0.01% the weight of the steak. If you cook a great steak it has a perfect sear of crust on the outside and you ruin that if you rest it. Eat it as soon as it comes off to keep that texture.

Of course you need to rest it, ask any qualified chef and he'll tell you (not your home bro science chefs on Veeky Forums). I bought this steak resting tray and it makes the world of difference. The wood allows the steak to breathe a little, instead of a harsh ceramic plate, easy to clean too. Got the tip from a top chef in town. He even covers it with a little steak blanket for couple of minutes to seal the warmth and the juices in.

>30 minutes
yeah i love eating cold steak too faggot

>Let rest about 30 min
you are mad

>muscles have to relax
its fucking dead, its fully fucking relaxed and does not need to rest because it's literally DEAD

I've tasted more juice in my steak after resting than otherwise not doing it.

Yes while cooking the meat is constantly releasing juices. Resting allows the meat to reabsorb some of those juices. Meat is moister and more tender after 10-15 minutes resting.

Where is it going to reabsorb those juices from? The atmosphere? If it has already released juices during cooking, then those juices aren't jumping back in the steak. Unless you somehow mean resting it in the juices in the hot pan it was cooked in, but that would overcook it.

Correct.

Steak is a meme you Brazilian uma umas! Reeeee

Resting is only necessary when the steak is still cold. Once meat is room temperature continuing to let it rest so that "the muscles can relax" is a fucking meme.

Have you looked into getting a little pillow and teddy bear for it too?

Very funny, but it is just resting, not sleeping.

Resting meat is not for juiciness, it's mostly for presentation because the juices flow out of the steak when it's cut before resting. It technically makes the steak more juicy but not very significantly.

Don't do this. Rest for half the cook time.

I only let it rest for about 7 minutes. Any longer then it's cold, and any shorter and the cuttingboard looks like bloody slaughter.

I think this is the most plausible sounding explanation for resting steak so far in this thread

Nope. You need to rest the steak for 2 minutes, cook both sides for another 45 seconds each to reabsorb the pan juices, then rest another 3 to 4 minutes. This tricks the steak into reabsorbing the pan juices. It's been scientifically proven, and it works. Just resting the steak by itself does literally nothing except cool the steak down.