Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

What's the secret to making good nachos at home?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D8Q9wGP1wOo
youtu.be/q6KAVzPb_yQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cheese whiz

/thread

buy a block of authentic nacho cheese and melt it yourself

Make your own cheese sauce from decent cheese. I like to use queso Chihuahua, because it's commonly available even in white people grocery stores and it tastes great with Mexican dishes like nachos and quesadillas. If you can't get a hold of it use a mild, melty, white cheese like Monterey Jack.

>two tablespoons butter
>two tablespoons all purpose flour
>1 cup milk
>1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheese.
>1 teaspoon salt
>Pickled jalapeno slices

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add the flour gradually while whisking constantly. Pouring the flour through a sieve as you add it does a lot to help prevent lumps from forming. Let it cook for a moment, then add the milk and stir until combined. Cook the mixture until it starts to thicken, then add the cheese and stir until well combined. Lastly, dice some jalapeno slices and add them in along with the salt. The amount of jalapeno is totally up to you and your taste.

Pour the cheese sauce over chips, then top with salsa, refried beans, and thin slices of cooked beef or chicken.

Good cheese sauce made from scratch. A real Mexican carne (asada, shredded pollo, carnitas, Al pastor, or lengua), beans, fresh made pico de Gallo, jalapeno slices, crema, guac, and queso Blanco crumbled on top.
No

Fantastic! May the gods smile upon you and your family

>A real Mexican carne
Saying the meat's name in Spanish doesn't immediately make it "more authentic", it only serves to make you look like a twat.

>asada
Beef.
>shredded pollo
Shredded chicken.
>carnitas
Braised pork.
>Al pastor
Literally pork kebab.
>lengua
Beef tongue.

Learn to communicate, thanks.

These two have it right. Plus, you want a wide, shallow tray to make them in. If you go with a deep tray, you end up with a bunch of plain un-nacho'd chips at the bottom, or you do multiple layers and get soggy chips in the middle.

By using the mexican name for the meat he communicated much better than what you advise since his implies the spices and flavor profile of the prepared meat. Yours would need much more qualification since "beef" alone means nothing in terms of flavor.

Learn to communicate and stop being scared of "muh furriner words 'n such lahk dat."

layer the chips and the toppings
use decent cheese and don't just use all cheddar or it will be greasy as fuck, cheddar pepper jack mixcan be pretty nice

dump the nachos and make a lasagna with bolognese/cheese sauces
or a noodle caserolle if you are lazy

Freshly fried and salted tortilla triangles and a hot oven. Drain wet stuff as much as possible. Simmer sauces to get rid of as much liquid as you can. A wet nacho is just a chilaquile.

Very wrong,stupid
This and other slightly involved (for nacho)recipes.

What I do is whatever left over already cooked ground beef/sausage(controversy) whatever cheese you have on hand.
The trick is to broil it. Just preheat as long as it takes you to put the chips on the plate,the meat on the chips and the cheese and extras then in the oven.I put the plate in the oven,you could use a baking sheet w/wax paper.
IT COOKS FAST! 2 min,do not leave the stove.
Obviously you put sour cream on after the oven stage,watch your stolen netflix and enjoy!
Fridge to mouth less than 10 min.

This is the ramen noodle version but a few steps above cheese wiz.

Triangle tortilla chips, rico brand nacho cheese. As for salsa, no idea

I have been making a lot of nachos the past couple of months and am pretty sure I've got it the exact way I like it. The secret? Making your own tortilla chips. The trick is to use flour tortillas, which are much thicker than corn tortillas after fried. They hold cheese and toppings extremely well because of their thickness. Much less likely to get soggy chips.

pic related, flour tortilla chips

You enjoy being insulted, don't you?

The rest is subjective, depends on what you like. I like to shred cheddar and add it on top of the melted cheese. I marinate my steak for a day, slice it and then fry in a skillet until it's the way I like it. I make my own pico de gallo, has less onion than restaurants because that's how I like it. Pickled jalapeno slices add a really great taste, but I don't add them if I use jalapeno in the pico. Sour cream on top. Chives are great with it.

Questions?

Make it yourself like this guy
youtube.com/watch?v=D8Q9wGP1wOo

>shit cheese sauce
>forest made "tortillas"
fucking joke at this point

Those nachos look like they would get soggy with that many toppings, particularly how much sour cream is there.

Yeah, no. You're pretentious as fuck and you know it.

vegan cheese

why would you call al pastor "mexican kebab" though, al pastor is a specific meat/spice mixture cooked on a spit

the only thing it has in common with kebab is cooking style

looks interesting user, I wouldn't mind trying that.

>why would you call al pastor "mexican kebab"

In case you can't tell, he's a /pol/tard who crawled out from under his rock and heard someone use a "dagblasted, dagburned furriner word in muh 'murrica!"

Don't listen to this guy, cheez whiz doesn't belong near nachos. queso jar dip is much much better if you want nacho cheese.

If you want to make the best nachos you need cheese, tomato, jalapeno and sour cream. Everything else is optional.

It started in the summer, trying some chicken nachos at a restaurant that were just fucking amazing. Turns out, costs a lot less for a lot more just making it yourself. And then I decided to try steak and it really took it to the next level. The flour tortilla chips are key though, can't stress that enough after having tried corn tortilla chips. Different texture and thickness and taste.

>You don't need chips for nachos

tositos or bust

It's not really nachos, but it's bretty close and the best dip I've ever made.
Ingredients:
>1lb beef
>1/4 taco seasoning
>2/3 cup water
>1 fresh diced tomato (canned works well too, my personal favourite is Hunt's Fire Roasted diced tomato)
>1 chopped onion
>1 2lb block of Velveeta (or generic) cheese, cut into cubes
>any other veggies you want
Instructions:
>brown and drain hamburger
>mix in seasoning and water
>boil out water
>put cheese, tomato, onion, and veggies into crock pot
>add hamburger
>cook on low until cheese is melted while occasionally stirring

forgot a pic for it

Too much sour cream and steak. Mite b good otherwise.

Asado is meat you prepare in the oven. Just that.

Someisn't isn't pretentious by using spanish words to describe mexican food.
Stop being retarded.

there is none. nachos are a horrible food. putting moist topping on crisp items makes them soggy. dip your motherfucking chips in a motherfucking dip. and cheese dips are horrible food. its all a motherfucking mess, i tell you. suicide is the only option, and thats forbidden, so we are all fucked.

Yeah, someone else already said this but it really is the easiest way.
Make a bechamel by making a roux and slowly whisking in milk, then add cheese and season. Throw in jalapenos or whatever you want in and it's done.
I would hope that all of Veeky Forums knows how to make a roux.

Get off your high horse you dipshit. If you ever go to a German place, don't say the actual names of the dishes. Just say that you want pork and cooked flour. They'll know what you mean.

>I would hope that all of Veeky Forums knows how to make a roux
Why would you assume that? Half this board needs help cooking fried eggs.

It's easier than eggs that's why.

Because it's literally just the same amount of flour and butter whisked together. It's one the most basic things that you can do and is helpful if you ever want to make anything thicker. if you don't know how to make a roux then you shouldn't be offering advice in any Veeky Forums thread

ive never heard of 'roux' you stuck up cunts. not everyone here is a chef

You don't have to be a chef to know one of the most basic, useful tools you can use in a kitchen. Just because I actually put in the time to learn how to do basic shit means I'm a stuck up cunt? Have fun eating fast food the rest of your life.

no you're stuck up for assuming everyone here knows what it is

"I WOULD HOPE THAT ALL OF Veeky Forums KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A ROUX"
>HOPE
How is that stuck up? I didn't assume people know how to make it, i didn't condemn people for not knowing how to make it. I simply said I hope people know how.

its a white sauce. you add cheese to it and it becomes a cheese sauce. same one you use for mac n cheese

Yeah, it's simple but really good

It's just cheese on crisps, how can you fuck it up?

>/thread
more like /your life

I didn't even know Chihuahuas produced enough milk for making cheese.

You just need enough chihuahuas

He's right though. Enjoying being insulted would certainly be a benefit if you post regularly here, though.

putting the chips on top of the sauces so that they dont get musy

youtu.be/q6KAVzPb_yQ
Just copy this guy

I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but after being on the site for more than a decade, kinda just rolls off me now. Here's some more nachos but with less stuff on them. Still too much sour cream, I don't use that much any more.

It's just the first two steps to making any gravy from scratch (flour sprinkled over hot fat) from there you can add milk for white sauce or stock for brown.

>beef tongue
i'll pass

>t. picky eater who's never tried it
What's it like being 5 years old?

You don't know what you're missing user

impossible to fuck up, and easy as dicks

>2 Tbsp butter
>2 Tbsp flour
>1 cup whole milk
>6 oz. medium cheddar, shredded (about 1.5 cups)
>+whatever seasoning

>butter + flour in small sauce pot. Heat, whisk together until bubbly/foamy. Continue to cook and whisk for ~1 minute.

>add milk to mixture slowly while whisking. Turn up heat slightly, allow the milk to come to a simmer (while whisking). Mixture will thicken. When thick enough to coat a spoon, reduce heat to minimum.

>Stir in shredded cheddar, one handful at a time, waiting until completely melted between each handful. Do not over heat the cheese sauce.
Once all the cheese is melted into the sauce, stir in any seasoning you want to add (hot peppers, salt, chili flakes, what the fuck ever). If it gets too thick add a little milk.

Homemade chips are delicious dumb fag

loneliness

This is the only good answer in the thread. Prove me wrong. Pro-tip, you can't.

Fairly simple process, nachos is my top comfort food desu.

>get some nacho chips, made from corn obviously and salted. Don't get the ones that already tastes like cheese or chili, just plain with salt
>Get a porcelain tray or anything else which can be used to bake stuff XdxDXd
>put one layer of nachos, just so that you can't see much of the bottom
>put sliced jalapeños on in strides, get the low quality ones so that they're actually strong
>sprinkle grated cheese on, use cheddar - you can mix in some mozzarella or similar if you want but using cheddar is essential
>add next layer of nachos and rinse repeat until you have enough
>oven for like 10 min or so, wait until top layer is starting to burn a bit and small like popcorn
>take out, use a knife to open up to see the bottom layer - if cheese isn't fully melted, put it back in. if it looks all good, your nachos are done
>use some guacamole / sour cream dip if you want, personally i prefer to just eat them as is because guaca is expensive to make desu

have fun wey

Sounds like the kind of flyover tier shit that’s way better than it has any right to be.

Seriously. There’s a thread up with an user asking how to make white rice. Fucking rice! And he keeps fucking it up somehow.

cheese whiz is gross and a simple cheese sauce like is better in every way, cheaper by a long shot, and takes 10 minutes to make.

I actually tried tongue a week ago. I guess they cook it without the taste buds. That shit was bomb as fuck.

Right? Super tender. Melt in your mouth kind of texture with a mild beefy flavor.

sodium citrate

Fuck. I'm horny for nachos now.