I sometimes feel that scientists are really disconnected from the science fanbase (the rationalists/skeptics/w.e.)

I sometimes feel that scientists are really disconnected from the science fanbase (the rationalists/skeptics/w.e.)
Scientists are mainly religious people with different philosophical ideas while the science fanbase is dominated by scientism and positivism.

This is bad for two reasons
>the science fanbase gives science a bad rep
>the science fanbase misinterpretes science and misunderstands scientists (they think that scientists are atheist positivists just like them)

What can we do to help?

Attached: blinded-by-sciencescientismnew-atheism.jpg (600x544, 17K)

Scientists should do one thing and one thing only - science. Everything else they focus on should be done in their spare time and whatever repercussions it brings they must be able to face. If the rest of society doesn't understand the need for science, then there is not much scientists can do, for it is not their job to promote science.

there are the scientists who are the scribes and researchers.
then there are the science journalists to ensure there is a buzz about science.
the journalists are getting too out of hand.
Journalism just needs to stop.

also the scientists are too busy researching and experimenting to call the journos on their bullshit.
and honestly by the time the article is published the damage is done.
the headline already smeared across online forums for the emotional backlash to happen.
even if it was redacted.
the anons in the forums have already internalized it as knowledge.

>Scientists are mainly religious people
a thread died for this

>What can we do to help?

Point out that the skeptics don't even know precalculus and stfu.

Scientism is very different from positivism, ignoramus.

And there is nothing wrong with scientism.

There REAL problem is there are people who are selling a false sense of intelligence. (not literally selling, but gathering advertisement revenues) The news is notorious for doing this, but now they've targeted a new demographic of people mildly interested in science.

The ONLY thing new to the problem OP describes is that it's a new demographic, that could harm potential future scientists.

Back to tumblr SJW moonbat. This is a pro-science board.

>>>/reddit/

Attached: 1521932728558.png (764x706, 24K)

Where the fuck it was implied otherwise, ignoramus?

Are you sure that you understand the meaning behind that word?
Most of the people who make claims like that don't even know what scientism means.

Attached: 1417578235263.png (720x585, 66K)

Scientism is a serious epistemological position defended by philosophers of science like Alex Rosenberg, Mario Bunge and James Ladyman.

>it's true, three people agree on that

Not him but scientism is begative by definition. The debate is not that, it's if we have adopted it which I categorically refuse, because having shitty pop sci celebrities is not the same as scientism.

I'm not saying it is true. I'm saying that some professional epistemologists and philosophers of science support the position.

>Scientists are mainly religious people
that is completely untrue in my experience

Why it is negative by definition? Just because the anti-science obscurantists don't like it? The term comes from the Enlightenment. It was coined in the 18th century by Condorcet.

meme scientists on tv don't count.

>Caring about the opinions of philosophers

Attached: happycwc.jpg (480x480, 126K)