Olive Oil

Do you taste test your olive oil when you try a new brand?
Just picked up a bottle of Boulos and it made my throat burn, which is apparently a sign of a good oil.

Other urls found in this thread:

oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-health-news/olive-oil-cough/11628
thespruce.com/smoking-points-of-fats-and-oils-1328753
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Normally just go for pic related

Ever sipped it straight? What's it like?

No, I don't drink straight oil.

In small quantities, olive oil can be appreciated just like wine or spirits.

You can make a lot of money if you have a palette that can reliably differentiate between olive oils by their aromatics (much like wine tasters). Most people can't do it, especially in the US where they sell some of the worst olive oil in the world- but honestly it all tastes the same to me.

>made my throat burn

Why would that happen, a higher acidity?

It's actually a pretty interesting phenomenon: oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-health-news/olive-oil-cough/11628

I can see why you tried some.

>wasting your money on olive oil when you can get vegetable oil for less than half the price.

good olive oils have a high phenol content, which is destroyed by overheating. you wont find this in many mass market blends since they’re often adulterated or straight hazelnut oil.

a shot of high phenol oil is amazing. also so is toasted argan oil as a finisher in gumbo or chili or red beans and rice

>(((vegetable oil)))

different tastes, different qualities, different applications, dumb post

my jigaboo

Excellent

Someone on Twitter said that olive oil is for salad dressings and not, because of its low smoke point, for sauteing. You apparently are supposed to use canola for that. Is this true?

thespruce.com/smoking-points-of-fats-and-oils-1328753

depends on the qualities of the oil you wish to preserve and the temperature. i tend to start with a small amount of high smoke point oil then cut in finishing oils at the end.

>brand

I get my olive oil from an olive oil shop where you can taste a wide selection.

You guys know that you can just grow your own olive trees right?

>See a picture of a cute girl hawking olive oil posted on an anime image board
>Fall in love and imagine a life together with her
Can I fall deeper than this?

Lebanese girls got it going on.

hello, i would like to taste her olive oil
yes

Until you find a brand you like, it's hard to know which bottle to pick up. Just looking at them on the shelf, there's no reliable way of sorting the good ones out from the shit ones and so you're forced to just look at the price and packaging. It's a similar situation with balsamic.

Some estimates reckon abouy 70% or more of the olive oil supply is cut with cheaper oil and not labelled as such.

pic related is what I'm using for dips and dressings

That's the module interesting thing I've read in weeks. Thanks user

>blacked merchandise is now acceptable to wear in public
I don't know what the world is coming to.

Same. Plus it's fresh (

Not that different. Fuck off you retard.

>Someone on Twitter said that olive oil is for salad dressings
This is true, never fry with olive oil. The only acceptable way of cooking with OO is in sauces.

The most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my life was a girl from Lebanon. I later saw pictures of her family and the women were literally pure 9-10/10's. There's something in those fucking genes.

Im rather lucky to live near a hipster city with a store dedicated exclusively to olive oils, which is where i get mine
t. Corning, Ny

Where the fuck is Corning? No offense intended, genuinely interested.

t. Rockland County

you can fry with olive oil, don't worry

I don't taste it specifically upon getting it but I'm eventually going to dip some bread in some or make a salad with some so I'll note the quality soon enough anyway

Genes maybe, but most certainly makeup expertise.

They do olive oil tasting at this shop in my town. I always thought it was ridiculous.

I have one too (Victoria, BC), but the only problem is their bottles don't include pic related. Without pic related you're guaranteed to have drips down the bottle every time.
All of their oil comes from California.

About an hour SW of Ithaca, or 30 minutes NW of Elmira or 30 minutes south of Watkins Glen
Those are the nearest decent sized cities or well known reference points