Hey Veeky Forums, I'm a poor college student who has about $50 a week to spend on food for the next four months...

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm a poor college student who has about $50 a week to spend on food for the next four months, what are the best cheap meals that are also good (preferably not made entirely out of ramen, but I'm down for some ramen recipes too) that are have good variety and that I can make tons of? (I eat a lot and I'm trying to gain some weight)

Doesn't have to be too complex, like what are the best ways to spice up kraft mac and cheese or hot dogs?

How do I eat well cheaply? Thanks for any help bros

>what are the best ways to spice up kraft mac and cheese or hot dogs
Quite literally, with spices: freshly cracked black pepper, freshly grated nutmeg, etc.

Visit a Chinatown or Asian grocery store and check out their greens, super healthy, very inexpensive, and easy to stir-fry with garlic as a side or add to soups and curries. They're all fairly similar, but gai choy (mustard greens) is my favourite.

If you live in the south check out the publix buy one get ones but don't let it entirely dictate your shopping entirely, just wait until shit that you live off of is BOGO and go nuts.
Learn how to make rice well.
Also USE YOUR FREEZER.

* I only meant to say entirely once, fucc.
But rice and beans are good, oatmeal is cheap and slow release carbohydrates so it'll keep you upright throughout the day. Find a friend with a sam's club or Costco card and just go buy a lifetime supply of both of those things. Tbh if you bought $25 worth of each at a bulk store your food future will be bland, but you'll surely live.

>$50 a week to spend on food
that's a lot of money for one person 2bh

stop buying ramen and mac n cheese, theyre more expensive than just normal chinese egg noodles or macaroni and a thing of real cheese

hot dogs too, theyre pretty pricey these days. buy more fish. white fish is abysmally cheap and has the same nutritional value p much

nigga what? a box of generic mac here is $.50 and a block of cheddar is $2.00, and a pack of 10 dogs is $1.00 and a pack of buns is the same price, where is this magical place where fucking fish is cheaper than hot dogs??

kraft mac and cheese - use 2tbs real butter in place of the margarine, use real cheese replacing nothing because you still use the sauce packet, you will use both expenditures on other things and this shit will keep you alive, butter quality barely matters, cheese quality does and extra sharp is what you're after, my own choice is pictured

ramen - make it in less water than it says to improve on what it considers soup stock, most say 2cups so use 1 1/2 cups, the best ramen is the irritatingly rare Maruchan roast beef

Is frozen food a good idea or not? Like I see frozen lobster and shrimp and steak and shit all the time, and it's way cheaper then fresh, but does it being frozen ruin it in any way? There's gotta be some reason it's so much cheaper right?

t. someone who wants to make lobster macaroni and cheese but is broke.

Dollar Stores are incredibly useful when you're buying on a budget. Dry goods, spices and seasonings and frozen foods can all be picked up for dirt cheap. I can walk in with $10 and walk out with a couple weeks worth of food.

I'm eating a lot of frozen bagged vegetables. Also the supermarket often also has a pre-made tray of vegetables for frying or soups or whatever. I've been eating vegan and I've been buying a lot of meat alternative that isn't too expensive for the amount of protein they have. Also pasta can often be found for a good price.

I used to eat egg noodles as they are better for you than ramen, but as I said I went vegan.

>Doesn't have to be too complex, like what are the best ways to spice up kraft mac and cheese or hot dogs?
Chili powder for mac and cheese. Hot dogs, can go with onions and sauerkraut or bell peppers grilled. You can also look up other recipes online.

not really

even stuff in the little styrofoam packs thats just chilled was probably frozen during transit anyway

a box of mac is one serving

a block of cheddar will last you for more than four servings

whoa

the aboslute state of americans. im done trying to help yankees. youre all retarded shits and deserve to die

O B S E S S E D

>not really
oh wait i meant this as "not really [it's not a bad idea]"

the freezing might have made it slightly more tender/mushy once thawed. thats about it. but if you're broke then you can't really go on about how you deserve only the freshest catches, can you

See if your college has a student food pantry. You can get some bomb ass stuff sometimes. all for free.

here I made ramen, with hard boiled eggs, bean sprouts, canned mixed veggies, and some tapeteo sauce. plus some pizza roles that i scored from the food pantry.

My school has a free food pantry in the basement of the student union building. it's helped me survive on less than what you have.

Buying rice and beans in bulk quantities will be your friend. Soak your beans overnight and then cook the next day w/ rice + spices.

Buy vegetables + meats on sale whenever you can.

When i was living the college life, I lived off of bagels and making my own sandwiches (pbj, blt, grilled cheese). Eggs are also inexpensive if you have a way to cook them. I found out you can actually mix eggs with a little milk in a ceramic dish that has a lid with a vent on it. Microwave 45 sec to a minute per egg. Add cheese and season to your liking.

Casseroles. Tater-tots+Shredded Cheese+Ground Beef+Spices.

Soccer moms know how to stretch food.

SARDINES

Use as an ingredient or eat them straight. A tin costs about a buck and has an assload of protein and omega 3's for less than 200 calories.

holy shit that looks amazing---ly disgusting jesus christ fucking kill yourself why

A box of macaroni and cheese is 4 servings you obese fuck

So when are we getting the sticky for these poor survival threads?

$50 a week for 1 person, kek. You could live so much better than boxed mac. Learn to cook.

I spent $77 today for two people. Our menu is:

Mon: Pork chops, stuffing, cranberries
Tues: Chicken fettuccine alfredo.
Weds: Meatloaf and mashed potatoes
Thurs: Coconut shrimp and rice
Fri: Spaghetti and meatsauce
Sat: Pumpkin soup and cornbread
Sun: Monte Cristo sandwiches and fries

Some of these items are prepackaged (coconut shrimp, stuffing, etc). Even then, it all totals to $77 for TWO. Fix your shit.

>poor
>$50 a week for just you
Holy fuck you're retarded or incredibly fat

this, as long as you know how to cook (you don't have to be a great cook, just good enough to make food you're willing to eat) and don't blow the whole $50 on alcohol, saffron, high-end cheeses and cuts of meat, etc. - you don't even need to worry about keeping your food costs low. $200/month for one person is not poor by any stretch of the imagination. If I can eat very comfortably on $80-90/month you won't have any problems. Spend the extra money on cooking lessons

Split pea soup. If you're in the U.S., go to Wal-Mart, find a bag of Hurst's "Hampeas" (which is a bag of split peas with a "flavor packet" thrown in), copy down the recipe, and then buy the Wal-Mart generic split peas instead, along with some real ham and also some bay leaves.

Throw in some chopped up ham and the bay leaves, cook according to the recipe, and remember to REMOVE THE BAY LEAVES before eating.

Wa-la.

Unfortunately, never.