Picked up this bad boi for $17.50 at an estate sale. Did I get ripped off...

Picked up this bad boi for $17.50 at an estate sale. Did I get ripped off? I'm planning on stripping the seasoning with oven cleaner and reseasoning it myself.

Other side

No, because you only paid about $2 less than a brand new cast iron. If you were going to season it yourself anyway you didn't save any money.

What purpose did you buy it for? They take a long time to warm up. It's slightly overpriced, but by 7-9 dollars, especially for an estate sale. Looks in good shape, I mean, it's just a chunk of iron with no rust on it.

That looks like a 9-inch? You can get a brand new 9-inch cast iron skillet for that.

For that price you can get a brand new Lodge 12".

Why would I want new cast iron with a rough surface?

Plus minor collectibility

Fucking kek.
I hope you're trolling

Nooooo. No oven cleaner if you have to break the old glaze. As strange as it may seem use a past of table salt and just a touch of veggie oil and a small disk on a power drill. Use the seasoning to break the old glaze. I have used this on many old rescued cast iron.

Good shit, that would have cost you $100 or some ridiculous shit if you got it off of eBay or Etsy or wherever. Even thrift stores jack up prices on cast iron now.

I wouldn't strip it down immediately. It doesn't look rusty, so wash it off, oil it up, and try cooking with it before you scour it bare.

this desu, the surface looks fine

Yeah you got ripped off bigly.

You could have gotten a brand new one for less than that.

And it doesn't even look well-seasoned which is the only reason you'd want to buy an old cast iron anyway.

My grandma gave me hers that was passed down from her mom. It's as slick as a slut's vagina on prom night.

Nah, only like in the $30 price range. Still enter than Lodge.

Honestly, I'm not sure if anybody here even understands.

Your new $20 cast iron skillet has a factory finish on it, a rough surface that is undesirable for many purposes. A smooth cast iron pan will run you probably at least twice as much as these common, rough ones.

I do... I have a set of Erie...

Obviously you don't to many yard sales because i would never pay more than a dollar for a regular ass cast iron. The last cast iron i bought was a 40 inch rendering cauldron i got for $20.

Yeah but he paid way too much for it.

you done good
throw it in a fire
after it cools, wash with soap and water
spread a very very very thin layer of lard on it
throw in tree fiddyº oven for an hour
cooking surface faces down when seasoning
don't listen to these other faggots
they don't know what they're talking about

It literally makes no difference you retard.

It literally does, there is a reason people sand down lodge cast iron, or buy from specialty cast iron manufacturers who still do a polished finish.

>way too much
Entirely subjective. You don't know whether it was USD, AUD, CAD, or what. You don't know his region, he could be in Silicon Valley for all we know, and gotten it at a steal.

>spread a very very very thin layer of lard on it
You shouldn't use lard anymore, you used to use it when pigs were on a natural diet, now that pretty much 99% of pigs are being fed manufactured diet, lard is actually not that good for seasoning cast iron.

I use Flaxseed oil for seasoning.

>$17.50
is what he wrote

And that's way too much regardless of where you are for buying used kitchen ware at somebody's house.

Yeah, Australia / Canada use the exact same dollar symbol for their currencies.

I don't understand your point, in Silicon
Valley it would cost you $100 easily just to buy a shit rough cast iron from the kitchen store. It really all depends.

>don't listen to these other faggots
>they don't know what they're talking about
see?

No that's not how that works at all actually. You might think that rich people being around would make things more expensive but it's actually the opposite for two reasons. One, there's a lot of money being thrown around and those people don't really have a concept of resale and usually have yard sales just to clean out their house. Poor people actually charge the most for their crap because they actually need the money and overvalue their crap. Secondly, old people, that's probably what OP ran into but got kiked by estate sale people. There's tons of people who still live in Silicon Valley who were there before the tech boom and have lots of valuable crap that they sell for pennies on the dollar. BUT you get these cunts who run estate sale companies who get commissions on top of their fee who would charge "$17.50" for a fucking cast iron pan.

More like you don't know what you're talking about, modern lard is nothing even close to classic lard, and unless you live on a farm and feed the pigs yourself, you're not getting good lard.

>I don't understand your point, in Silicon
>Valley it would cost you $100 easily just to buy a shit rough cast iron from the kitchen store
That's not how cost of living works you idiot.

Ok, so regardless of whether I got ripped off, should I go ahead and strip and reseason? The current seasoning seems pretty shitty

you don't know what you're talking about. you're too busy looking at the trees and can't see the forest. i'll make you reply because you're dumb and i own you. go for it.

>there is a reason people sand down lodge cast iron
Yeah, ignorance.

except it literally is, go look at silicon valley grocery prices

>1 liter of whole milk
>$2.50
what the fuck

>not wanting better non-stick surface

fuck off child

Old Wagner, machined surface, you did real nice I wouldn't even refinish it bro it looks fine

Cast iron pans aren't groceries. People in silicon valley can order a Lodge pan from Amazon just like everyone else.

its perfect. smooth, unlike these rough new cast iron versions. I dont even know if you have to reseason it at all. just remember to always heat the pan up fully before putting oil in it.

bingo. if someone makes a brand new pan with a smooth surface, go ahead and buy it. i havent found any.

>better
It literally makes no difference in terms of "non stick" abilities.